C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarter Panel Brake Vent Inserts Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quarter Panel Brake Vent Inserts Removal

I am posting this in both general, Z06, and ZR1 sections. Just received the Hydrocarbon CF front and rear quarter panel brake vent inserts for my ZR1. There are two each on the fronts and one on each of the rears. I will be installing them tomorrow morning. The fronts look fairly straight forward as they each have two mounting studs attached to the back sides of the insert pieces. I am guessing that I can access the nuts for those through the fender well guard at the back of the front tire. The rear pieces, however, do not have studs attached and look as though they have small wedges of plastic molded in the original piece that will perhaps snap into some sort of receiver. If anyone on the forum has any experience with replacing these pieces I would sure appreciate any tips that you might be able to offer. By the way, I ordered the pieces from John at Florida Corvettes. Fast shipping from available inventory and the quality looks fantastic.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle
Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

Remove the front portion of the rear wheelhouse liner. Refer to Wheelhouse Liner Panel Replacement -Rear.

Rear Brake Caliper Cooling Air Scoop -Outer Tip: Remove the rear brake caliper cooling air scoop from the inside of the wheelhouse opening by releasing the 4 integral tabs with a flat-bladed tool on the inboard side of the rear brake caliper cooling air scoop. Push the scoop outward in order to remove.

Rear Brake Caliper Cooling Air Scoop -Inner Tip: Release the 6 tabs with a flat-bladed tool securing the rear brake caliper cooling air scoop to the inner quarter body panel. Pull inward in order to remove the cooling scoop.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:02 AM
barduch
Drifting

Originally Posted by talon90
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle
Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

Remove the front portion of the rear wheelhouse liner. Refer to Wheelhouse Liner Panel Replacement -Rear.

Rear Brake Caliper Cooling Air Scoop -Outer Tip: Remove the rear brake caliper cooling air scoop from the inside of the wheelhouse opening by releasing the 4 integral tabs with a flat-bladed tool on the inboard side of the rear brake caliper cooling air scoop. Push the scoop outward in order to remove.

Rear Brake Caliper Cooling Air Scoop -Inner Tip: Release the 6 tabs with a flat-bladed tool securing the rear brake caliper cooling air scoop to the inner quarter body panel. Pull inward in order to remove the cooling scoop.
Thanks for the info. I just came up from the garage after doing the fronts. They were quite simple, not even necessitating removal of the front tires. Two of those plastic expandable retainers, two small screws on the skirt, and two small bolts on the wheel well liner allowed for it to be removed to gain access to the studs on the vents. Also had to unsnap the liner from the fender outer wheel well edge. Everything went back together with no problems. The backs sound like they will take a bit longer so I am saving them for the morning. I will post pics when done. Thanks again!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

This should be all you need.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ct-scoops.html
Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
barduch
Drifting

Default Pictures of installed vents

Pics are posted on the ZR1 forum. The fronts were super easy to install. About 60 minutes for the first set and 20 minutes for the other side. The rears were a bit more involved but certainly doable by anyone with moderate mechanical ability. It did require removing the rear wheels and wheel well liners to gain access to the vent and the hidden brake air ducting. It took me about 90 minutes for the first one and 30 minutes for the other side. Fast learning curves. I am lucky in that I have a four post lift with the jack option that straddles the two ramps. That jack seems to have been tailor made for the corvette as the jack's pucks adjust to line up perfectly with the jacking hockey pucks that I purchased for the car. And, being able to raise and lower the entire car while either the front or rear is jacked up to remove wheels makes it so easy to access all of the target work areas without having to lay on your back or kneel for extended periods of time. Anyway, it was time well spent, as I am totally pleased with the result. I know that not everyone is as enamored with the CF as I am, but I just don't like the look of plain black plastic that much. My wife says that I suffer from OCCFD (obsessive compulsive carbon fiber disorder) and that I should seek out a 12 step recovery program.

Get notified of new replies

To Quarter Panel Brake Vent Inserts Removal

Quick Reply: Quarter Panel Brake Vent Inserts Removal