C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Your opinion
This parking ticket is just fine.
61.46%
This is totally bogus!
38.54%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

My first parking ticket - should I contest this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Pay the $5-10 ticket and move on.

Not worth the hassle.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

If you have the time and want to challenge that ticket by all means do it. No doubt that ticket is nit picky BS. Or you could pay the fine with a sack of loose pennies.

Good luck
Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Pay it. It is what it is.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

You should have parked in another spot where you could park between the lines. The way I have always looked at it, if you do the crime, you should be willing to do the time.
Just pay the fine, mark it up to lessons learned, and go on down the road.

Yes, the city is nit-picking. But the implication is that you violated the ordinance. If you are that upset about it, get a copy of the ordinance and find out for yourself exactly what it says. Once you know that, make your decision and take it from there.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Pay the 5-10 dollars and move on with your life. There are more important things to deal with.

Oh wait, 5-10 bucks, that could buy you a Chick-Fil-A sandwich! Maybe you should contest it.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM
hhredvette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man up and pay the ticket. You did NOT park within the lines. Is this so tough for you to figure out that you need a bunch of strangers to set you straight?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

My .02 is you were wrong, so was everybody else that parked there and they all deserve a ticket. If it were me I wouldn't have parked there unless I found a spot that I could stay between the lines. Others parked wrong which would force you to park wrong or find another spot so the spot you chose wasn't a good choice. If there was something that was up against the curb that wouldn't have allowed you to get in the spot properly would you have parked there? No, because you wouldn't have been in the parking spot, same situation with your picture. Whomever parked screwed up to make all the other spaces screwed up should get a couple of tickes, but all the followes should get a ticket as well.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
My .02 is you were wrong, so was everybody else that parked there and they all deserve a ticket. If it were me I wouldn't have parked there unless I found a spot that I could stay between the lines. Others parked wrong which would force you to park wrong or find another spot so the spot you chose wasn't a good choice. If there was something that was up against the curb that wouldn't have allowed you to get in the spot properly would you have parked there? No, because you wouldn't have been in the parking spot, same situation with your picture. Whomever parked screwed up to make all the other spaces screwed up should get a couple of tickets, but all the followes should get a ticket as well.
I find it odd that everyone thinks the OP is guilty
I agree he was out of the lines and yes, Technically guilty.
But get real ,,, one person, idiot or not, parked outside the lines in such a way so NO ONE ELSE could park in the lines in ALL the other spots.
So, according to the concensous so far, no one should have parked on the street because of one person not knowing how to park.
What? should there have been ALL empty spaces with only the original offending car sitting there parked outside the lines
IMO, the officer should have given the Original offender that caused the whole problem, all the tickets for all the other cars.
I know, I'm an idealist and, admit, I'd probably pay the fine and move on.
But this is why we're all crying about the governing forces sticking it to us for Money
Logic is lost everywhere we look and until we stand up for common sense we will continue to have it stuck to us
It's BS , ..Rant over
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
hhredvette
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dif
But get real ,,, one person, idiot or not, parked outside the lines in such a way so NO ONE ELSE could park in the lines in ALL the other spots.
So, according to the concensous so far, no one should have parked on the street because of one person not knowing how to park.
What? should there have been ALL empty spaces with only the original offending car sitting there parked outside the lines
IMO, the officer should have given the Original offender that caused the whole problem, all the tickets for all the other cars.
But this is why we're all crying about the governing forces sticking it to us for Money
Logic is lost everywhere we look and until we stand up for common sense we will continue to have it stuck to us
It's BS , ..Rant over
NO...One person parked wrong. Everyone else should have parked correctly. Does that mean that one less car would be able to park on that street until the original offender moved his car? Yeah. That's why people should pay attention to what they're doing.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Dif
It's BS , ..Rant over
Thanks Dif. Sadly it seems like a "forum" isnt the proper forum to have discussions about issues... go figure.

Too many jerk responses here- "stop crying", "pay it and shut up", etc. I'm not sitting here crying about anything or looking for some kind of pity party. I didn't start this thread and say, "hey everybody look at this! Can you believe this bullspit?" I'm trying to have a thoughtful discussion about how people should be able to park their cars.

And this?
Originally Posted by hhredvette
Man up and pay the ticket. You did NOT park within the lines. Is this so tough for you to figure out that you need a bunch of strangers to set you straight?
Man up? I hope your vette gets towed and they charge you a $1000 to get it back, so I can tell you to man up and pay it. d1ck.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
hhredvette
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SolidlyStated
Man up? I hope your vette gets towed and they charge you a $1000 to get it back, so I can tell you to man up and pay it. d1ck.
That was mature. You're the one who screwed up and now wants a bunch of strangers to give you absolution.

Pay your ticket and grow up. Calling people names shows both a lack of maturity and class.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hhredvette
Calling people names shows both a lack of maturity and class.
You've got a lot of nerve for someone who acts like an a**hole to strangers on the internet. You apparently know very little about class. You wouldn't walk up to people in public who are having a discussion about the ethics of parking and tell another man to "man up" and "is it so tough for you to figure out"...

Well, you might... depending on how much sense you don't have... but you definitely wouldn't get away with speaking like that to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 AM
hhredvette
5th Gear

You've got a lot of nerve for someone who acts like an a**hole to strangers on the internet. You apparently know very little about class. You wouldn't walk up to people in public who are having a discussion about the ethics of parking and tell another man to "man up" and "is it so tough for you to figure out"...

Well, you might... depending on how much sense you don't have... but you definitely wouldn't get away with speaking like that to me.
So far you've called me a "dick" and an "a**hole".

Any other body parts you feel the need to call me?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Fight what though? Obviously one car caused the problem. People in the city just should not park at the first space behind the offender. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if the offender works for the city.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Fight them! Especially if you have time. You see, they dont expect you to fight it, but once enough people do, it will force them to not harass people for stupid crap like this. Fight them all the way!!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is amusing - the parking rule that the ticket was written against
is designed to stop the kind of parking that messed it all up - right?
Anyone else see the domino effect here? Where - if one person skipped - it
would correct itself, but no one did, kind of a modern malady.
I was in Boston, and there, parking is a revenue institution with almost no
legal spots left to park.
Two things - one , word is, if you go to protest you automatically get off
two - I typed the wording of one of the parking signs into babelfish and it came back
'unable to translate' LOL

Get notified of new replies

To My first parking ticket - should I contest this?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for OP -

'My first parking ticket'

This is your first parking ticket ever? Or....do you consider yourself reborn
since you purchased your vette
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

A parking attendant for the city of Indianapolis just cited every car along the street here. I came back from dinner on a patio just barely out of view to find pink tickets on the whole line of cars.

All the cars are parked 2 feet too far back for the small painted lines as shown, creating a perpetually offset street of parked cars that the city can conveniently cite all at once throughout the day.

So... opinions... is this valid? is this ethical?

To dispute it is an incredible hassle requiring an appearance in person downtown just to get a future date to go to court later.
Is this valid, YES. Is it ethical, DOESN'T MATTER. It's the law. Pay the fine.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by choprfgr
This is your first parking ticket ever? Or....do you consider yourself reborn
since you purchased your vette
first ever. I was towed once on this same street, but never had a parking ticket in my life. I was towed back before people spoke up about that unfair practice, and they have since dropped the hammer on the tow companies.

Originally Posted by designerRob
Is this valid, YES. Is it ethical, DOESN'T MATTER. It's the law. Pay the fine.
It totally matters.

Are you going to say that to the little girls who got their lemonade stand shut down because they were selling concessions without proper permits? http://consumerist.com/2010/08/gover...ade-stand.html

Are you going to say that to the mom who got fined $535 and is facing jail time because her daughter saved a baby woodpecker she found in her back yard from being eaten by a cat? http://consumerist.com/2011/08/mom-f...oodpecker.html

In both of these recent stories, people spoke up, the government apologized, and reversed their stance. But they were both technically in the wrong and broke the law. Who's going to go up to that little girl and tell her to 'man up, pay the fine, and stop trying to save baby birds'?

Quick Reply: My first parking ticket - should I contest this?