C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Your opinion
This parking ticket is just fine.
61.46%
This is totally bogus!
38.54%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

My first parking ticket - should I contest this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In downtown Austin they have ticket kiosks where you buy
time to park and it issues a peel-off ticket for you to display in
your windshield. I got a ticket for sticking it on the driver side
of the windshield. Ticket stated 'must be displayed on curb-side'.
I think that trumps your white line infraction SolidlyStated.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by choprfgr
In downtown Austin they have ticket kiosks where you buy
time to park and it issues a peel-off ticket for you to display in
your windshield. I got a ticket for sticking it on the driver side
of the windshield. Ticket stated 'must be displayed on curb-side'.
I think that trumps your white line infraction SolidlyStated.
damn that certainly beats my straight flush. Did you argue that it was curb-side- just happened to be the curb on the other side of the street
Old 08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
wingbone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidlyStated
The tickets in this case are only $20 and I don't care about the money, but the principle of the matter is very important to me.

Legislators sit around for hours discussing these ideas in minute detail and then dictate to citizens how its going to be, and yes I am sure its all about money. People, however, have the right to speak up and cause change. This very street has been the focus of a widely publicized 'predatory towing' outcry this summer, forcing lawmakers in the city to enact swift regulations.

Cars come in all shapes and sizes and as long as each one can fit in a spot clearly associated with a meter, it should be allowed. Hundreds of drivers aren't going to simply stop and then pass-by a perfectly sound looking parking spot. The city shouldn't be indiscriminately punishing all of them, it should adapt to the people they serve.

This is just like recent news articles I have read where law enforcement officers shut down some little girls' lemonade stand in their front yard because of no concession permits. While *technically* true, the public got angry about it, the city apologized, and let the girls sell lemonade.
If it was me I would pay the fine and move on, however if you wish to fight it and lose you will be out of the fine, the court cost and attorney fees if you decide to get one. Lets not forget your valuable time.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone following this thread should watch the most recent episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Larry pulls into a spot next to a guy taking up two spots. Does he park inside the lines of the next open spot? Watch to find out.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by ALD_Z06
Anyone following this thread should watch the most recent episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Larry pulls into a spot next to a guy taking up two spots. Does he park inside the lines of the next open spot? Watch to find out.
you beat me to it and considering this thread it's a Great episode
Old 08-08-2011, 05:13 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racer
What a waste of my time, I avoided this thread like the plague, then I fell to curiosity and just wasted 10 minutes of my life.
What a waste of time.......MODS step in & CLOSE this thing
Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
What a waste of time.......MODS step in & CLOSE this thing
It's only a waste of time if you are not contributing to the topic.

I wonder if the officer is required to be in court to provide a deposition if a person fights a parking ticket. If so, I'd go to court to fight this one just to see if the a$$wipe of a parking meter officer that had the nerve to write these tickets actually had the same nerve to show up for their deposition.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Default Name calling

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
It's only a waste of time if you are not contributing to the topic.

I wonder if the officer is required to be in court to provide a deposition if a person fights a parking ticket. If so, I'd go to court to fight this one just to see if the a$$wipe of a parking meter officer that had the nerve to write these tickets actually had the same nerve to show up for their deposition.
I DID CONTRIBUTE......The thread started out with good intentions but as you read things got out of hand and the thread went down hill quite fast. What point is being made when we start name calling etc...thats what I meant by having the MODS close it. They have closed many threads for less.....i did not say or imply it was a useless thread !
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
I DID CONTRIBUTE......The thread started out with good intentions but as you read things got out of hand and the thread went down hill quite fast. What point is being made when we start name calling etc...thats what I meant by having the MODS close it. They have closed many threads for less.....i did not say or imply it was a useless thread !
I was just joking, but agree with you that the name calling is uncalled for. I read all that too. Too much ganging up on the OP who had to clarify and defend his pupropse of posting, too many times.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Thanks Silver. There was some good discussion outside of that nonsense. As Ron Burgundy said, "Boy that escalated quickly..."

I had a good time talking to people interested in the subject itself. I'm done with the thread and hope it dies with dignity.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default fight it

The tickets in this case are only $20 and I don't care about the money, but the principle of the matter is very important to me.

Legislators sit around for hours discussing these ideas in minute detail and then dictate to citizens how its going to be, and yes I am sure its all about money. People, however, have the right to speak up and cause change. This very street has been the focus of a widely publicized 'predatory towing' outcry this summer, forcing lawmakers in the city to enact swift regulations.

Cars come in all shapes and sizes and as long as each one can fit in a spot clearly associated with a meter, it should be allowed. Hundreds of drivers aren't going to simply stop and then pass-by a perfectly sound looking parking spot. The city shouldn't be indiscriminately punishing all of them, it should adapt to the people they serve.

This is just like recent news articles I have read where law enforcement officers shut down some little girls' lemonade stand in their front yard because of no concession permits. While *technically* true, the public got angry about it, the city apologized, and let the girls sell lemonade.

A huge part of the problem I see these days is that cities look at you as their piggy banks. They have designed things so that you are penalized financially. If it were a safety factor they would design it so that you would have to take a class or something to teach you the correct way of doing things. Its all about the money. One big sham.
Fight it by taking it to court and representing yourself. Why hire a lawyer to fight a lawyer and to be judged by a lawyer since they are the scums that want the money to begin with.....ask for a jury trial and take your sweet time picking the jury pool. Remember that the scum lawyer is trained to find those jurors that he can manipulate in his favor. Go through the process and if you lose....sit the ticket out. Its the principal of the whole thing. Dont give em a dime.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SolidlyStated -

Wait - there's more to talk about LOL
How about parking in Boston and coming back to
the properly parked vehicle with time on the meter
and a ticket on the window? That'll get you looking for
the meter maid.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by choprfgr
SolidlyStated -

Wait - there's more to talk about LOL
How about parking in Boston and coming back to
the properly parked vehicle with time on the meter
and a ticket on the window? That'll get you looking for
the meter maid.
I got a bogus parking ticket while on vacation in Cape Cod about 25 years ago, so I sent them Monopoly money and told them they could keep the change.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd drive by that area just to see if this is a regular occurrence. Not that I'm a 'conspiracy theory' type, but what a great way for a community to generate quick revenue. Have a city employee park his car at the head of the line such that all cars behind will be forced to park in violation of those white lines. Dispatch the meter maid every hour and watch the cash roll in.

PS - look out for those black helicopters.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
RedRider1
Pro

Originally Posted by saplumr
Pay the $5-10 ticket and move on.
It's more like $50. I would despute it. It can't hurt anything.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:16 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
I got a bogus parking ticket while on vacation in Cape Cod about 25 years ago, so I sent them Monopoly money and told them they could keep the change.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

So how should a parking scenario like this be properly handled?

Hundreds of people who drive by an empty spot with a meter should all just ignore it until enough cars leave to park completely in their painted lines? While that is probably the *technical*, I hardly find it follows the spirit of parking ordinances, which should be to provide efficient and safe parking.

These spaces in particular were in constant turnover, each new car car getting a ticket because the spots are all offset by a couple feet. If drivers were continually expected to examine the space in detail while in traffic, it would immediately become an unsafe, congested situation (attention drawn away from the road, drivers stopping traffic, repeatedly pulling in and out of these faux spots).
You sound like a lawyer. Tell it to the judge.
-Clark

Quick Reply: My first parking ticket - should I contest this?