C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need an Explanation on 2008 Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Charlie from Cherry Hill
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Does 71 make that much difference? I hope not. I'm going to be 70 in two weeks. Love the FOB, loved the PKE on my '94 and '95.....

Evidently
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Charlie from Cherry Hill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
How much do you want for the cracked one? PM me.
$40 shipped via first class mail, but I don't know if a 2008 fob would work on your 2007.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by torch red ryder
$40 shipped via first class mail, but I don't know if a 2008 fob would work on your 2007.
Any C6 fob will work on any other C6. The only difference is the key for the rear hatch. Those are not compatible between 07 and 08.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Charlie from Cherry Hill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimTN
Any C6 fob will work on any other C6. The only difference is the key for the rear hatch. Those are not compatible between 07 and 08.
Thanks, key is not included.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

A fob is either programmed to the car or it's not....there is no "as programmed as it's going to get". It sounds to me like you have used the short procedure and added fobs to positions 3 and 4 which do not include memory settings. These positions will do everything else though...like opening doors and trunk and starting the engine. If this is OK with you then leave it as it is. If you want everything to work as it is supposed to, then you need to follow the long procedure in the instructions referenced in my previous post.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Charlie from Cherry Hill
Burning Brakes

Thank you cclive, your instructions enabled me to deprogram the cracked #1 fob and to program the new #1 fob and re-program the #2 fob. It was IMO a tedious process, far more complex than the C5 required for a new fob, but now that I've done it successfully (and I am now an "expert") I no longer fear the process will render the car inoperable and require the services of a flat-bed truck.

As far as the deprogrammed and cracked #1 fob, as I have not received a response from GS-Zero (post #20), I will list it for sale in the C6 Parts Sale/Wanted section of the CF. Perhaps another CF member wants to repair the crack and program it for his/her C6.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM
ScoB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well at this point I think I'll just leave it as is; new case with old insides. I don't want to accidentally clear the programming from the fobs and then have to have the car flat-bedded to the dealer. Right now I'm thinking my C5 key & fob was a much simpler (and better) system. I would just leave the key in the ignition and programming a new fob was a cinch. Everything on my C6 is an improvement over the C5, except for the push-button start and fob.
That was a day to remember
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Thank you cclive, your instructions enabled me to deprogram the cracked #1 fob and to program the new #1 fob and re-program the #2 fob. It was IMO a tedious process, far more complex than the C5 required for a new fob, but now that I've done it successfully (and I am now an "expert") I no longer fear the process will render the car inoperable and require the services of a flat-bed truck.

As far as the deprogrammed and cracked #1 fob, as I have not received a response from GS-Zero (post #20), I will list it for sale in the C6 Parts Sale/Wanted section of the CF. Perhaps another CF member wants to repair the crack and program it for his/her C6.

Glad it worked out well for you! To be fair to GM, the long procedure really needs to be a bit tedious because if it were too simple, any valet parking guy or other person who had access to the metal key for a minute or two could re-program the whole system...so at least making you sit there and wait with it for the 30 minutes keeps the complete amateurs away. I might suggest holding on to the cracked fob just to have as a spare. You could add it to the system as fob 3 just in case...might be worth having around at some point...

Quick Reply: Need an Explanation on 2008 Key Fob