C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 vs. Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

If you are going just on looks I don't think you can do any better than a GS vert that includes the base, Z, and ZR1. The GS will have more than enough power for street driving for most people. If you are looking for the best looking car for cruising and road trips the GS vert can't be beat.

There is nothing at all wrong with the Z06 its a great car. No, the top doesn't come off and no you can't get an automatic. Yes the power is overkill for street use on the Z and ZR1 but thats what some people like.

Bottom line get the Corvette that fits your needs and wants the best and you will be very happy for a long time
Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Z06 is a street legal track car IMO. Its a free country and you can buy anything you have money to do, but I dont understand the purpose of getting the Z06 just to drive on normal streets. If you arent tracking the car.. The Z06 ride is harsher than other C6 models, its only available with a fixed roof and the car itself is more "raw".

The ZR1 has more power if thats what your after (yeah I know how much it costs) but still.. and the GS gives you the same looks, but a cheaper price and 'only' 70 less hp. Unless you abosolutely have to have the big LS7 engine, it seems like the GS is much better buy for the regular street guy.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:42 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10
or get the GS supercharge it and blow the doors off the Z with your top removed
Cuz nobody mods a Z06...amirite?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Z06 is a street legal track car IMO. Its a free country and you can buy anything you have money to do, but I dont understand the purpose of getting the Z06 just to drive on normal streets. If you arent tracking the car.. The Z06 ride is harsher than other C6 models, its only available with a fixed roof and the car itself is more "raw".

The ZR1 has more power if thats what your after (yeah I know how much it costs) but still.. and the GS gives you the same looks, but a cheaper price and 'only' 70 less hp. Unless you abosolutely have to have the big LS7 engine, it seems like the GS is much better buy for the regular street guy.
There is a very good reason that GM offers the Z06 with 505 HP and the ZR1 with 638 HP. There is also a very good reason GM does not offer a C6 with a 200 HP V6. Not everyone puts "style" in front of performance.

I have an idea that you have never driven a Z06 or you wouldn't be saying 'only' 70 less hp.
Don't take me wrong. I think the GS is a great car, but it ain't no Z06 or ZR1, even when driven on the street.

Ask yourself this question. Why are there so many companies making products/services to increase the performance of a C6 and none that offer any products/services to decrease the performance?

Name one tuner that offers to decrease your horsepower for $500.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-19-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have an idea that you have never driven a Z06 or you wouldn't be saying 'only' 70 less hp.
Don't take me wrong. I think the GS is a great car, but it ain't no Z06 or ZR1, even when driven on the street.
Perhaps you should take your own advice and drive both, and not just around the block.

Ask yourself this question. Why are there so many companies making products/services to increase the performance of a C6 and none that offer any products/services to decrease the performance?
And just as many of them are for the Z06. Go look in the for sale section, there is clearly a higher percentage of modified Z06s than base cars or GS couples. The horsepower bug is not just for the base engine.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

Cuz nobody mods a Z06...amirite?
Nobody said anything like that........amirite?

I can tell already your a GS HATER.........amirite?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Oh boy..here we go again...it was only a matter of time
Old 08-19-2011, 04:09 PM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

I didnt start it!!!!

Long time no see Frank, you goin to TK next Saturday?

Last edited by C6GrandSport10; 08-19-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: d
Old 08-19-2011, 04:23 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Nobody said anything like that........amirite?

I can tell already your a GS HATER.........amirite?
Redzone owns a GS.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:27 PM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

LOL, Im just messin around, its all good
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Perhaps you should take your own advice and drive both, and not just around the block.

I have driven my Z06 at 162 MPH at Talledega. How fast have you driven a Z06? Meet me December 2 at Daytona. I'll be in the Cyber Gray Z06 and will be doing 175 MPH crossing the start/finish line. I will also be driving it much slower through the tight infield course, if you want to try and keep up. I also drive it 45 MPH(30 MPH through the school zone up the street). The car will actually drive between 0 and 198 MPH. Just because it will do 198 doen't mean i have to drive it 198 MPh everytime i get in the car. I have first hand knowledge of how to drive a Z06, both on the street and on the track(where it's legal to drive faster then the posted speed limit).

And just as many of them are for the Z06. Go look in the for sale section, there is clearly a higher percentage of modified Z06s than base cars or GS couples. The horsepower bug is not just for the base engine.
So, my point(if you had quoted my entire post instead of cherry picking it) is that more people modify their Corvettes(whether its a base C6, a GS, a Z06 or a ZR1) to improve it's performance(and increasing the horsepower is the main performance modification) then those that modify their Corvette to decrease it's performance.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-19-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 PM
bbudman
Instructor

As a new owner myself the only advice I can offer you is make up your own mind and get what you want. Since this would be your first Corvette I assume you have little or no seat time in one. The first thing you need to do is some homework online learning about the different models, features, and options. Next, visit the dealership and look at the cars in person. “I went on a Sunday afternoon and walked around the lot without any salesperson pressure to get an idea about which color combinations appealed to myself and my wife”. Finally I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to come visit, test drive, and get a real feel for what I wanted.

On a final note let me express that there are a few people here that track their cars and have plenty of experience behind the wheel pushing their Corvette to the limit. On the other hand any model Corvette has the capabilities that can far exceed the limit that many average drivers are willing to take them! I for one am not ashamed to admit that fact after being in the passenger seat with a professional behind the wheel!
The following users liked this post:
novasikz (06-17-2020)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 PM
KevinJax
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

If it were me I would get the GS vert. There is nothing like dropping the top and cruising around. I did not get a Zo6 because the riders seat had no electric adjustments and was not comfortable for my wife. I have a coupe because I needed the extra storage space on trips and I love the removable see through roof ....feels like a convertible but I would prefer the vert. As far as power my stock coupe is so fast.....I'm telling you so seriously fast that I cannot imagine what pushing a Z06 would be like. I am beyond thrilled and satisfied with 436 hp. Additionally the Grand Sport convertible is drop dead gorgeous....I had to have Atomic Orange though and you can't get that color in the GS. I vote GS vert for comfort, ability to drop the top and more than adequate power....0-60 in what 4 seconds give or takeoff? That's fast! K
The following users liked this post:
novasikz (06-17-2020)
Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I didnt start it!!!!

Long time no see Frank, you goin to TK next Saturday?
Hey Peter, I am going to try and make it next Saturday
Old 08-19-2011, 05:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KevinJax
If it were me I would get the GS vert. There is nothing like dropping the top and cruising around. I did not get a Zo6 because the riders seat had no electric adjustments and was not comfortable for my wife. I have a coupe because I needed the extra storage space on trips and I love the removable see through roof ....feels like a convertible but I would prefer the vert. As far as power my stock coupe is so fast.....I'm telling you so seriously fast that I cannot imagine what pushing a Z06 would be like. I am beyond thrilled and satisfied with 436 hp. Additionally the Grand Sport convertible is drop dead gorgeous....I had to have Atomic Orange though and you can't get that color in the GS. I vote GS vert for comfort, ability to drop the top and more than adequate power....0-60 in what 4 seconds give or takeoff? That's fast! K
Very rational explanation as to why you would prefer a GS over a Z06 without calling Z06 owners dumbasses for prefering a car with even higher levels of performance. Nothing wrong with selecting a car based on your personal needs/wants without degrading others when they choose another route.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:09 PM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

off the topic but i cant help it

REDZONE You have one hell of a garage, very nicley done!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

To the OP. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are a cruiser type of person who washes, waxes and drives to cruise ins and sits around talking about how great the cars are a base C6 or a GS will do you just fine. If you are like most Vette owners and never really hold the throttle down long enough to feel the power push you back into the seat and see the speedo rush toward the upper 100s then a base or GS car will be far more than what you will be able to handle. If you like running the cars hard and like holding the throttle to the floor for extended periods then the Z is the car for you. The GS has different transmission ratios (identical to the C5Z06 ratios) which means with the 6600 rev limit of the engine you will see about 20 mph less in third gear than the Z will see at its 7K rev limit. That is where the Z shines when pulling off a corner at a track. The GS can't match it. I know the difference in the feel of the two and the GS is mild mannered in that arena but the Z is a beast that gets the job done. If you aren't pushing the car that way then the GS or as I said the base car is sufficient.

Yes, the roof comes off on the GS and you can get it in a Vert but if you are into hard driving the Z will be the car for you. If not into hard driving let somebody who is into it buy the car instead.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. Grand Sport

Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'll chime in as I have both... And they drive quite a bit different. The GS is tame, rides nice (mine has mag ride, can't comment on the base GS ride). Very civilized, sharp looking car.

The z06 is an animal by comparison. Throttle response, harsher ride, a bit twitchy on bumpy roads, even though they look similar it is a different experience and for different purposes. The z is at it's best on the track for sure and is still a very usable but perhaps not optimal street car.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a very good reason that GM offers the Z06 with 505 HP and the ZR1 with 638 HP. There is also a very good reason GM does not offer a C6 with a 200 HP V6. Not everyone puts "style" in front of performance.

Name one tuner that offers to decrease your horsepower for $500.
I think you got me wrong Joe. The majority of my post was not about power.. but about the harsher, more raw ride & handling of the Z06.. because its really built to be the ultimate track Corvette. The reason why I said "only" 70hp less.. is to indicate that GS still makes plenty of power for the street. I completely understand the much more raw power delivery of the LS7 vs the LS3, even though the "only" 70hp is what shows up on paper. My point was.. why bother getting the "raw" Z06 to use solely as a street car? If power is all that you care about.. then the 6.2L engine in regular N/A, aftermarket supercharged or factory supercharged (LS9) has all the get up and go you can ask for.

To answer the 2nd part of your question.. companies make aftermarket performance parts for the same reason reason other companies make penile size performance products. And the answer is what guy doesnt want more power? No guy is looking to reduce the amount of HP in sportscar, much the same as no guy is looking to cut a few inches off the size of his manhood. We would all like to have as much HP as possible, even if we never use it. Same goes for the size of our manhood, more is always better.. if even you cant use it all.

A good example of this is my 65 year old father. He owns a '07 C6 that he bought new 5 years ago and will pay off this fall. Even though he has never driven the car any faster than 84mph.. he plans to trade it in on a Z06. I asked him why.. knowing the Z06 he buys wont get pushed past 84mph either. And his answer was "Its like carrying a .44 magnum handgun.. it feels good to have it, even if you never have to use it". I cant think of a better analogy as for why guys typically want as much HP as they can reasonably afford.

I guarantee you if the Z06 & a LS9 equipped GS were offered to buyers at the exact same MSRP. Very few people would interested in the Z06.. it would only be bought by the hardcore track guys which the car was originally intended for. Most Z06 buyers, purchased the car simply because it was the most powerful car they could afford.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 08-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

I have driven my Z06 at 162 MPH at Talledega.
Ok, how fast have you driven a GS?

I dont feel like driving to Talledega for a trackday but I will be at Summit Point and VIR this October and next season, multiple times for Summit actually.

So, my point(if you had quoted my entire post instead of cherry picking it) is that more people modify their Corvettes(whether its a base C6, a GS, a Z06 or a ZR1) to improve it's performance(and increasing the horsepower is the main performance modification) then those that modify their Corvette to decrease it's performance.
No you were trying to imply that base and GS owners modify their cars because they are not fast enough. In truth, its the people who are attracted to more power in the first place ( Z06 ) that end up paying on top of that for even more.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs. Grand Sport