C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 vs. Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JoesC5
There are no cross beams in the magnesium roof frame. It is rectangular in shape and the center opening in the magnesium frame is also rectangular in shape. There is no cross bracing to give triangulation for strength as it's not needed. The Z06 and the ZR1 have brackets welded to the aluminum halo and the magnesium roof frame is bolted to those brackets and to the windshield frame with 10 bolts. The SMC roof is then glued to the magnesium frame.
Meaning it is the same roof, just attached so it can't be removed (which of course ads rigidity, again, obviously, shouldn't have to be stated.)

Last edited by Racer; 08-23-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: speeling :)~
Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Actually, you're an idiot, which makes yours worth less.
Oh, the name calling starts.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Oh, the name calling starts.
Just a statement of fact. Sorry if it hurts your pp.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no cross beams in the magnesium roof frame. It is rectangular in shape and the center opening in the magnesium frame is also rectangular in shape. There is no cross bracing to give triangulation for strength as it's not needed. The Z06 and the ZR1 have brackets welded to the aluminum halo and the magnesium roof frame is bolted to those brackets and to the windshield frame with 10 bolts. The SMC roof is then glued to the magnesium frame.
Thank you for the correction. My point is, there is "structure" underneath the roof panel (be it rectangular, square, round, whatever., I said cross, my bad). The other guy said it's the same roof and I believe he meant "same roof structure." I saw the top on my Z06 being replaced and I screwed up describing the angles of the support structure.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Just a statement of fact. Sorry if it hurts your pp.

yes, I am devastated by your comments, you are such a valuable member of this forum, it hurts that you call me such terrible names.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JJC5
Thank you for the correction. My point is, there is "structure" underneath the roof panel (be it rectangular, square, round, whatever., I said cross, my bad). The other guy said it's the same roof and I believe he meant "same roof structure." I saw the top on my Z06 being replaced and I screwed up describing the angles of the support structure.
Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anything of the sort, note that I said you can here it creaking and moving, that would be the top panels OBVIOUSLY, nice try.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anything of the sort, note that I said you can here it creaking and moving, that would be the top panels OBVIOUSLY, nice try.
Sorry to get your "pp" hurt!!
You are right, you didn't say that. I should have said "inferred", that's what I meant to say. Maybe a good time to go chill and relax???
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Sorry to get your "pp" hurt!!
You are right, you didn't say that. I should have said "inferred", that's what I meant to say. Maybe a good time to go chill and relax???
Oh, so your ganging up on me with the airbus guy , your stock just went waaay down. A simple apology would of sufficed.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Oh, so your ganging up on me with the airbus guy , your stock just went waaay down. A simple apology would of sufficed.
That was good. Seriously, no, I'm not ganging up on you or taking part thereof. Have you ever had one off those days when you try to get a point across and you screw up worse every time you try to correct it? This is one of those days for me! I was actually referring to me to chill and relax!!
No offense meant.
John
Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

That was good. Seriously, no, I'm not ganging up on you or taking part thereof. Have you ever had one off those days when you try to get a point across and you screw up worse every time you try to correct it? This is one of those days for me! I was actually referring to me to chill and relax!!
No offense meant.
John
John, your good people in my books.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:39 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

John, your good people in my books.
Likewise
Old 08-23-2011, 04:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Meaning it is the same roof, just attached so it can't be removed (which of course ads rigidity, again, obviously, shouldn't have to be stated.)
Not 100% sure but I think there are some differences in the roof. I was always under the impression that the targa coupe's roof used an aluminum frame whereas the Z06 and the ZR1 used magnesium. Not really that sure, but when the Z06 was released one of the big talking points when discussing the reduction in weight of the Z06, they always mentioned the Z06 had a magnesium roof frame, so I assumed the targa coupe had an aluminum roof frame as they always said the targa coupe had an aluminum cockpit. Since we know that the space frame used on the targa coupe is steel, then it leaves only the windshield frame and the roof frame that could be made of aluminum.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Not 100% sure but I think there are some differences in the roof. I was always under the impression that the targa coupe's roof used an aluminum frame whereas the Z06 and the ZR1 used magnesium. Not really that sure, but when the Z06 was released one of the big talking points when discussing the reduction in weight of the Z06, they always mentioned the Z06 had a magnesium roof frame, so I assumed the targa coupe had an aluminum roof frame as they always said the targa coupe had an aluminum cockpit. Since we know that the space frame used on the targa coupe is steel, then it leaves only the windshield frame and the roof frame that could be made of aluminum.
That sounds right to me too.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I guess maybe I should of been even more clear and I thought I was when describing the roof creaking. I also don't know about the frame material etc. What I am and was saying is, the roof panels are a separate item that are attached to the roof (however) during the making of the Z06. (The roof is not a one piece roof, the top panel actually moves, hence the creaking and clunking on the Z06 and ZR1 (I know the ZR1's is Carbon Fiber, but it too, is joined to the "roof" during assembly.
Maybe the actual roof panels could be used for a Z06/GS/Targa on the production line? (not saying, just asking).
Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I guess maybe I should of been even more clear and I thought I was when describing the roof creaking. I also don't know about the frame material etc. What I am and was saying is, the roof panels are a separate item that are attached to the roof (however) during the making of the Z06. (The roof is not a one piece roof, the top panel actually moves, hence the creaking and clunking on the Z06 and ZR1 (I know the ZR1's is Carbon Fiber, but it too, is joined to the "roof" during assembly.
Maybe the actual roof panels could be used for a Z06/GS/Targa on the production line? (not saying, just asking).
I guess I need to move up north were they have really crappy roads. I have zero moaning/creaking/popping noises from the roof of my 09 Z06 with 15,000 miles. Maybe I should ask the governor to cut back on the maintenance of our roads.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Z06 if you can afford it

I have had a 2008 with 436 hp and now own a 2011 Z06 with the Z07 package. I have driven BOTH at Spring Mountain. The Z06 with the Z07 package is way over kill for the street. You just cannot use the power, the carbon brakes nor the grip of the tires on the street. The Grand Sport is a very nice car but is not the beast that the Z06 is. the cross over exhaust system in the 2011 Z06 coupled with the NPP system sounds like a serious race car. To hear it alone is what I enjoy the most. That being said, the cost is pretty darn steep. The Grand Sport is a way better buy but I was lucky enough to be able to afford the "beast".
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Quick Reply: Z06 vs. Grand Sport