C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diy: C6 partition for less than $20

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Old 08-20-2011, 04:47 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I would seriously consider putting something behind the plank to reinforce it. If you have an issue, that plank won't hold much ... I assume your spare is attached of course.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'm curious why you have the center portion at 11.25 high and then taper the sides to an assumed 8.75. My hatch privacy net is 11.37 at the edge and 11 even at the center. Is your's the same?

Does the front of your net fit even with, in front of, or behind the partition when the hatch is closed?

Would the bottom of the partition rotate (pivoting at 5.75 from the bottom) if a low profile loose object stored in the back slid forward during braking or rotate back by storing a larger object than the available space on the front side? i.e. Is it secured by other than gravity?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Mojo 97 Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 08-20-2011, 06:00 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I'm curious why you have the center portion at 11.25 high and then taper the sides to an assumed 8.75. My hatch privacy net is 11.37 at the edge and 11 even at the center. Is your's the same?

Does the front of your net fit even with, in front of, or behind the partition when the hatch is closed?

Would the bottom of the partition rotate (pivoting at 5.75 from the bottom) if a low profile loose object stored in the back slid forward during braking or rotate back by storing a larger object than the available space on the front side? i.e. Is it secured by other than gravity?
Center is high then tapered in order to fit the removeable top in the trunk with the partition. It fits just under the lip of the removeable top when stored in the trunk.

Gravity holds it in.....the top portion could rotate backwards, but not forward, due to the vertical edges against the car.....so if an object from the trunk, slammed into it, it won't go anywhere....if you push towards the tailights from the drivers seat, the top will rotate to the rear about an inch or two....but it will not rotate forward toward the headlights.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Gecko2345
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shame on you guys!

OP. Good on you. Don't let the snobs get to you. I am also a DIY Nut. Like you, if I can figure out how to make something, I'll sure give it a try. Even if I have the funds, I would rather make it myself. I also made a partition for my coupe. The carpet I got from the local upholstery supply is a close match (it looks a little off in the pic). I pretty much made mine the same dimensions as yours, but 1 inch thick and 10 inches straight across. I might try a curved one, like yours, but I am unsure about wrinkles in the carpet over a curved top. The whole partition cost me about $25 total. I got a couple of used emblems for $15 each, (one for each side) and put them in place with Velcro. I have sold several of these to my fellow Club members (Texas Corvette Association) and they all like theirs. Sure beats spending over $100 for such a little effort.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the dimensions.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:53 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Thanks Gecko! Great job on yours.....when I get time to I might finish mine in black someday, next year. Very busy week coming, getting married in Atlanta on 3 September, then heading to Maui for honeymoon! Can't wait.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:13 PM
dealer06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow--I'm inspired, and I'm anything but handy. Gecko2345--does yours fit with the targa top stowed?

I'd like to do this but it's important that I can cover it neatly with some carpet and fit the targa. Must be able to do both.

Anyway--neat idea and good work, both to the OP and Gecko2345. I recall a really cool "low/no cost DIY" thread in the C5 section that hasn't made it here.

I'm known to be *ahem* frugal, so if I can find cheap things for my expensive toy, then so much the better.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Partition

Really cool looking ghetto partition! Spray paint? Ok!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

It has to be just right for the top to fit over it. I have a MadVette aka Vet nutts Vette Bin and it is a perfect fit.
The following users liked this post:
rybern (10-05-2021)
Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dealer06
Wow--I'm inspired, and I'm anything but handy. Gecko2345--does yours fit with the targa top stowed?
I'd like to do this but it's important that I can cover it neatly with some carpet and fit the targa. Must be able to do both.

Anyway--neat idea and good work, both to the OP and Gecko2345. I recall a really cool "low/no cost DIY" thread in the C5 section that hasn't made it here.

I'm known to be *ahem* frugal, so if I can find cheap things for my expensive toy, then so much the better.
The top will fit in the rear with this one. Notice the curve at the bottom to make room for the top. Sorry to say I didn't make it myself. I payed big bucks for it.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I roundly applaud the DYI spirit but don't say I didn't tell you so when you receive a "Corvette Tax" AUDIT in the mail!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:33 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by simplegto
It has to be just right for the top to fit over it. I have a MadVette aka Vet nutts Vette Bin and it is a perfect fit.

I guess it's hard to tell for some of you....On my original post, the last picture is shown from the driver's seat area, WITH THE TARGA TOP STOWED.

I can fit my spare tire, partition, and targa top stowed with no issues or noises at all.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gecko2345
OP. Good on you. Don't let the snobs get to you. I am also a DIY Nut. Like you, if I can figure out how to make something, I'll sure give it a try. Even if I have the funds, I would rather make it myself. I also made a partition for my coupe. The carpet I got from the local upholstery supply is a close match (it looks a little off in the pic). I pretty much made mine the same dimensions as yours, but 1 inch thick and 10 inches straight across. I might try a curved one, like yours, but I am unsure about wrinkles in the carpet over a curved top. The whole partition cost me about $25 total. I got a couple of used emblems for $15 each, (one for each side) and put them in place with Velcro. I have sold several of these to my fellow Club members (Texas Corvette Association) and they all like theirs. Sure beats spending over $100 for such a little effort.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the dimensions.

By the way, the VERY FIRST THING I did was trim that stupid dangling cloth screen thing....yup, just took a pair of scissors and cut it right off. Someone must have been high on acid when they approved the install of that at GM...sad to say but true. Dumbest thing I've ever seen in any car by any company.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 PM
txsugar08
Pro

Originally Posted by smdio
Man, that looks terrible. Sorry, but not in such an expensive car. Definitely not for me
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
By the way, the VERY FIRST THING I did was trim that stupid dangling cloth screen thing....yup, just took a pair of scissors and cut it right off. Someone must have been high on acid when they approved the install of that at GM...sad to say but true. Dumbest thing I've ever seen in any car by any company.
That "stupid dangling cloth screen thing" is a security screen to keep noisy people from seeing what's in the rear. Maybe even prevent a break in.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
1yy07vette
Burning Brakes

Get notified of new replies

To Diy: C6 partition for less than $20

Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Nice job

I am a do it yourselfer also. Nothing better than saving some $$$.
great template
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

I like the way this thread has straightened out....
Old 08-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Gecko2345
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, I hope this is not considered hijacking your thread!

My targa top fits just fine, but doesn't in my friend's coupe. Strange, I thought they were all the same. Anyway, I made him a new one with a slight indentation (about 3/8" from 5 - 7 inches in from the ends, and his targa fits very nicely. If anyone is interested in a DIY pictorial, I can shoot some pics next time I make one. It is really pretty easy, and all you need is a router ( a router mounted in a table is better). A couple of bits, and a hand held saber saw. The carpet I get from the upholstery supply is a flex type of carpet that doesn't have a stiff backing. It takes me about an hour to make a couple. It's mostly setup, and measuring.

Quick Reply: Diy: C6 partition for less than $20