C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Swapping out your exterior 'A' pillars - Detailed Instructions with PHOTOS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Default Swapping out your exterior 'A' pillars - Detailed Instructions with PHOTOS

I know that more and more people are thinking of changing out their EXTERIOR 'A' pillars for either painted ones or carbon fiber ones.

I am in the process of doing this and thought I would post up some photos and instructions to help others who might want to do this.

I know others have already done this and posted detailed instructions that helped me a lot, I am just adding some photos to help out.

First the driver's side steps:

1. Open the hood. Once that is done you will need to remove a plastic cover on the driver's side near the base of the 'A' pillar by taking out one screw and sliding the part forward slightly and wiggling it loose.

2. After you get that part removed, you will need to remove the screw at the base of the 'A' pillar.

3. Next you need to pull the rubber weather stripping loose, starting right under the base of the 'A' pillar. It is held on by some sticky black automotive adhesive at the bottom, and the rest of it (up to the top) is in a groove that you can just pull it out of. Stop pulling it loose once you get to the top (don't go across the door).

4. This will expose all of the screws that you will need to take out. They're are 6 MORE screws to remove. Once you take those out the 'A' pillar can be wiggled loose as you pull downward on it. CONGRATS, it's out.

5. Reinstall the new 'A' pillar by reversing this process. Once all of the screws are back in, you need to work the rubber weather strip back into the groove that holds it and 'restick' the bottom part. You may need to add some adhesive but I didn't. I'm sure that it can be picked up at any automotive parts place.

Doing the Passenger's side is exactly the same with one exception. You DO NOT have any plastic piece to remove at the bottom. Instead you just grasp the flexible molding and pull it loose and up a little. (See the photos)

Hope this helps some of you who are thinking of this project.

NOTE: This process is really very easy to do this AS LONG as the 'A' pillar that you are putting back on ALREADY has the metal weather strip part POP riveted to it. Otherwise that is another big step that I will add to this thread in a few days.

7 total screws removed from 'A' pillar itself. This doesn't count the screw that is in the extra plastic piece at the base of the driver's side 'A' pillar.

Passenger's side:

Just an extra photo showing what the metal weather stripping piece looks like that is pop riveted to the 'A' pillar looks like when separated.

I USED STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS INSTEAD OF POP RIVETS!

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 08-22-2011 at 09:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ncvette_1FUNRIDE:
FLC6GS (06-17-2020), Vet Interested (05-02-2017)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Very nice write up and looks like something even I could do with your write up
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pics of the finished result?? Love the pics with the scribbled instructions on them.. If all DIY instructions were like that it would be aweseome..

Makes it totally easy, even I can do it.. thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket
any pics of the finished result?? Love the pics with the scribbled instructions on them.. If all DIY instructions were like that it would be aweseome..

Makes it totally easy, even I can do it.. thanks!
I will post up photos of the before and after as soon as I finish.

Unfortunately the painted 'A' pillars that I ordered from RPI Designs came WITHOUT the metal weather strip that is POP riveted on, and is needed to mount them.

I am currently in the process of mounting the metal weather strips (purchased separately at extra cost) by way of POP rivets (like the OEM ones).

As soon as I get this done (hopefully in a few days) I will finish up and post the finished photos.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Great write up very helpful I'll be using this in a month or so. Your handwriting on the other hand is terrible
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

well done bro.

one question though: Why?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Great write up very helpful I'll be using this in a month or so. Your handwriting on the other hand is terrible
You ever tried writing with a wireless mouse on your recliner's arm?

I'm not too good at that, for sure.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
You ever tried writing with a wireless mouse on your recliner's arm?

I'm not too good at that, for sure.
good enough though!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Raazor
well done bro.

one question though: Why?

Thanks!

I wanted GLOSS Black 'A' pillars to match my top and BLACK painted 'halo'.

I'll post up photos when I get it finished in a few days. I have to POP rivet the weather stripping piece on before I can reinstall my 'A' pillars.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Tonycan
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

NOTE: This process is really very easy to do this AS LONG as the 'A' pillar that you are putting back on ALREADY has the metal weather strip part POP riveted to it. Otherwise that is another big step that I will add to this thread in a few days.

So, for those of us who only know how to remove and replace screws, and not POP rivets, who makes A Pillars with the metal weather strip attached? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow i dont think you could have done any better than that. i been thinking about painting mine black as well.

has anyone seen real carbon fiber ones? i want to do sic motors cf roof and halo, so no imitation cf hydrocarbon.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job on the right up! Only question I have is do you think it is truely necessary to remove the outer weatherstrip before taking out the screws? I can just roll it down a bit and see the screws right there.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tonycan

So, for those of us who only know how to remove and replace screws, and not POP rivets, who makes A Pillars with the metal weather strip attached? Thanks.

I think EmpireCorvettes makes a Hydro-Carbon 'A' pillar that has the metal weather strip already attached IF you specifically request it. It may cost more money.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
wow i dont think you could have done any better than that. i been thinking about painting mine black as well.

has anyone seen real carbon fiber ones? i want to do sic motors cf roof and halo, so no imitation cf hydrocarbon.
No one making them in real CF that I know of. And with that, only a few vendors offering them in hydrocarbon. I have a set on the way in the 05-07 finish.

Real carbon fiber or hydrocarbon, one issue I see is ordering from different vendors. Try to get all the parts from just one vendor as even though they might be advertised as the same, the patterns can vary from vendor to vendor and material to material. Put a whole plan together and check to see that you can get all the parts you want (even over time) from just one vendor. Only then order your first part. Just my suggestion.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:07 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Nice job on the right up! Only question I have is do you think it is truely necessary to remove the outer weatherstrip before taking out the screws? I can just roll it down a bit and see the screws right there.
Yes, there are a few screws that you cannot get to without pulling down the rubber weather strip, PLUS it is actually tucked into the 'A' pillar that you are removing.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM
speedster516
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one making them in real CF that I know of. And with that, only a few vendors offering them in hydrocarbon. I have a set on the way in the 05-07 finish.

Real carbon fiber or hydrocarbon, one issue I see is ordering from different vendors. Try to get all the parts from just one vendor as even though they might be advertised as the same, the patterns can vary from vendor to vendor and material to material. Put a whole plan together and check to see that you can get all the parts you want (even over time) from just one vendor. Only then order your first part. Just my suggestion.
I think Jersey from Apsis makes them in real Carbon Fiber
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Yes, there are a few screws that you cannot get to without pulling down the rubber weather strip, PLUS it is actually tucked into the 'A' pillar that you are removing.
Good to know. Thanks!

Will post how my install goes also.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping out your exterior 'A' pillars - Detailed Instructions with PHOTOS

Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, I decided to use stainless steel bolts instead of pop rivets. Easy to get and easy to install and works great.

Here are some more photos:
I'll post more out in the daylight when I get the chance.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Nice job and a good idea with the screws for those not wanting to use rivets.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice job and a good idea with the screws for those not wanting to use rivets.
Thanks!

I thought that this might be a good alternative for those that are not up to using pop rivets (like me).

Quick Reply: Swapping out your exterior 'A' pillars - Detailed Instructions with PHOTOS