C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Front End Alignment by Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on Front End Alignment by Dealer?

Made an appointment for alignment at dealer near me that sells a fair number of vettes and have been told they have a great Vette tech.
Service manager assured me he has two vette techs that handle alignments....

Its a 09 C6 Base w/Z51. Approx 5200 miles

Unfortunately my *** is still drawed up from all the horror stories on here about dealers screwing up more than they fix.

My question is: Should I try and explain to the "tech" that I want the alignment done for long tire life and give him the specs that I am sure some of youse guys have or should I just let the fellow line the car up and hope for the best?

Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Kiser64
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm with you. I pick mine up in Sept and am expecting to have to have it aligned. I'm scared as sh*t to take it to any dealers around here...I am, however, planning to use the Pfadt alignment for street that is going around. I think they have it on their website.

I am slowly whittling down the dealers I can use in Jax. Pissed off the one that originally ordered my car, of course he pissed me off first, and just today had a salesman at another dealer give me the "pig staring at a wristwatch" look when I mention museum delivery...lot's of winners down here...

Go Gators!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I took mine to an NTB even though I think GM gives you 1 alignment for free. Didn't want to hassle w/ the dealer.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Should I try and explain to the "tech" that I want the alignment done for long tire life and give him the specs that I am sure some of youse guys have
Absolutely......communication is key. Make it an opportunity to get to know your tech, show him you know what's going on and you know what you want. Easy way to maybe kick off a good working relationship.

In case you haven't seen this, many here have had great success with the Pfadt Street Alignment giving good tire wear.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/docs/camb...t-settings.pdf
Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
sox3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a local chevrolet dealer and had them use the Pfadt street settings.
So far I am very happy with it. Good luck
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would call the dealer back and ask them specifically if they'll take the extra time to put the numbers "on the money" and then give them the Pfadt numbers you want. Be prepared to spend an extra $20-$30 dollars above a standard alignment. If they won't do it, take the car somewhere else. You don't want the numbers just within the tolerance range because that range is way too wide.

- Mark
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM
RJ111
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I took my 11 Grandsport in today for an alighnment with a 140 miles on it.It pulled real bad to the right.At first they said they could only check it.They couldnt set anything till after 500 miles.He worked on it for 3 hours.Now the steering wheel is not centered and it pulls to the left.I'm not going to let him try again.I will just pay someone to do it right.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Originally Posted by RJ111
I took my 11 Grandsport in today for an alighnment with a 140 miles on it.It pulled real bad to the right.At first they said they could only check it.They couldnt set anything till after 500 miles.He worked on it for 3 hours.Now the steering wheel is not centered and it pulls to the left.I'm not going to let him try again.I will just pay someone to do it right.
Thats scary.

Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ111
Good lord. Glad I bypassed my dealer from the start. Though my local Chevy store is excellent in the service department, I didn't want to risk it.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
RedRider98
Drifting

I buy firestone lifetime alignments for all my vehicles. Runs about 150 and there is no limit to how often you bring it in to be aligned. Had it on my c5 for 7 years and must have had at least 25 alignments over the years. Getting ready to buy the lifetime for the c6
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Well I am speaking from experience with one local dealer that I feel has earned my trust with 3 trips and no screw-ups. I just had a new set of Pilot Sports mounted a few weeks ago and had them do 4-wheel alignment. I had them set camber at the conservative end of the range for a little better wear. I got a printout of all the alignment data before and after the work was done. To my astonishment even the steering wheel centering is perfect where it was always cocked a little to the right previously. I know I would not hesitate where I now go.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We purchased our Z06 from a very small, family owned dealer in a small town in 2007 175 miles from home .... they had a young guy that really was into Vettes that did the alignment type of work plus their shop was so clean you could eat off the floor ... He dialed exactly the numbers I wanted.
Now with our 2010 ZR1... purchased at another dealer that I would never let touch it ... took it to my Z06 dealer to do an alignment ... again dialing in exactly to my numbers ... spent 3 hours on it, which I paid a fair price of $200 + change. Will do it again when I need it.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they set everything to the center (desired setting) of the factory specs it will drive fine on the street and the tire wear will be great. Later! Frank
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 AM
1Corvette
Racer

Dealer did my alignment to GM specs and it is perfect on the street. It was out of spec a bit from the factory. Tire wear appears to be fine.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:10 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

You're over thinking it. Just take it to the dealer or reputable service station and get the factory specs. Ask them for a print out before they change anything. And they'll give you an after printout. Make sure and let them know to take good care of it and use the lifting pucks.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fnsblum
If they set everything to the center (desired setting) of the factory specs it will drive fine on the street and the tire wear will be great. Later! Frank

I had the experienced and knowledgeable tech at my local Chevrolet dealership set all front and rear alignment features to the mean of the tolerance band and now all is well now.

Best regards,

GSRANDY
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Ravenz07
Advanced

Which dealership, Bert?

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on Front End Alignment by Dealer?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ravenz07
Which dealership, Bert?
Cooper Chevrolet, Anniston

Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Tell them what you want! They should try to get as close to your desired settings as possible, within the specs that GM allows. They will probably not set it up, if what you want is outside GM specs. I know.......
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Originally Posted by designerRob
You're over thinking it. Just take it to the dealer or reputable service station and get the factory specs. Ask them for a print out before they change anything. And they'll give you an after printout. Make sure and let them know to take good care of it and use the lifting pucks.
Rob, I expect you have not EXPERIENCED thee "reputable dealer" yet .... gotta do you research and use only based on good references. Otherwise, you will be back here with very bad experiences.

Quick Reply: Advice on Front End Alignment by Dealer?