C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you change the rotor on the c6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM
buffguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When do you change the rotor on the c6?

My sister's c6 need new pads at 30k miles, the shop told her she need to change the rotors also.

My question is, when do you need to change the rotors and what are the indicators that the rotors need to be replaced?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

first, we need to see pictures of your sister to give an accurate assessment...
Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Pads wear a wide groove into the front and rear surfaces of a rotor. That groove will have a tiny edge at the outside rim of the rotor. A rotor can be turned on a lathe to remove that rim edge and any irregularities that lead to a pulsing feel in the brake pedal caused by warping. The amount of iron removed by normal pad wear and by a lathe will take away from the metal mass that absorbs huge amounts of heat and slows the car. There's a machining limit you don't want to exceed. One resurfacing of a brake rotor is typically all you can do before you have to replace it with a new one.

How fast pads wear away the rotor depends on the driver's braking habits and the material the pads are made of. High performance semi-metallic pads are highly abrasive and can eat up a set of rotors after a surprisingly small number of track miles. Dust-free ceramic pads, on the other hand, are typically very gentle on rotors and could easily last 75K miles before they (the pads) have to be replaced. Pads themselves have a small contact finger that's designed to make a very audible screeching noise when the pad wears past a certain limit.

After 50K miles with GM ceramic pads I have about a 1/16" lip at the outer edges of my Z51 rotors. Because I plan to add an E-Force supercharger and enter a standing start mile event next year, I've decided to replace my rotors and pads earlier than I otherwise would.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

generally, rotors need to be replaced when they are heavily scored (grooved), or beneath minimum thickness measured by a micrometer. or, it could be the rotors need to be slightly turned and there's not enough thickness left to do that (it would go below the minimum). it could be that running the original pads too far down caused a situation with the current rotor(s).

it is not automatic that one needs new rotors at 30K miles, but it also isn't automatic that you don't need them, either. if you don't trust the shop, go for a second opinion.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Brake pad manufacturers are now saying to replace the rotor rather than machining it when needed. If the surface finish is OK and it is still thicker than the minimum thickness number that is stamped into the rotor, then replacement is not needed...new pads will be fine.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

that unless the rotors have heavy scoring or gouging on them, put in new pads, bed them in, and drive!!!

The Service Manual says the minimum serviceable thickness for rotors is:

Fronts - 30.3 mm 1.19 inches

Rears - 24.5 mm .965 inches

Unless your sister has been doing a lot of track days running race pads with an aggressive compound, I'd be very skeptical that the rotors need to be replaced at 30,000 miles. And if she has been tracking the car a lot, the rotors will probably crack before they wear below minimum thickness.

Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM
1FASTVERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If you have the stock rotors with no cross drilled or slots in the rotors then you can have them turned. I recommend that you switch to ceramic pads. They have little to no brake dust. Make the rims look much better without the black brake dust getting all over them. If you have crossdrilled/slotted rotors then you will have to replace them since you are not supposed to have them turned. I hope this helps. Go with the crossdrilled they add a asthetitics to the car.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FASTVERT
If you have crossdrilled/slotted rotors then you will have to replace them since you are not supposed to have them turned.
Says who?

They can be machined just like any other rotor.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I haven't measured with a mic but I'd say I have a ~.080" edge/lip on the inside and outside of my rotors. I have had Hawk HPS pads on for a few years and plan on moving to an even less-rotor-friendly pad, the HP Plus. I'll measure the rotrs to make sure they are within the minimum thickness but there appears to be plenty of rotor thickness left. These are drilled Z51 rotors BTW.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I haven't measured with a mic but I'd say I have a ~.080" edge/lip on the inside and outside of my rotors. I have had Hawk HPS pads on for a few years and plan on moving to an even less-rotor-friendly pad, the HP Plus. I'll measure the rotrs to make sure they are within the minimum thickness but there appears to be plenty of rotor thickness left. These are drilled Z51 rotors BTW.
How have the HPS held up to track days (not drag racing)?

I've heard very mixed reviews and have a set that I was going to put on my Vette but heard they wore VERY quickly on the track, so I was just going to put them on my XLR-V instead (convenient to have two cars that use the same pads, lol). What has your experience been?

Sorry for the minor thread hijack.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

OK. They seem to have lost their bite in the last ~5k miles or so. Maybe they're glazed. They have been through two HPDEs (broke something at both so more like 1 1/2) and have been my daily driver pads for ~2 years. I like them. Notable difference over stock. Its likely I'll put the HP+'s on and they will not be as daily driver friendly as the HPS's.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk
Pix first please ... and great advice will follow ...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk
Originally Posted by Thrash
Pix first please ... and great advice will follow ...
No guys, great advice is freely given here without trying to demean the OP's sister.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

You would have to abuse the brakes to need rotors at 30K miles. New pads will seat if you don't drive crazy. You really need to have a shop that you can trust.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Says who?

They can be machined just like any other rotor.
Only turn them if they are warped.

Last edited by VET4LES; 08-31-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am at 35k on mine and the rotors will need replacing, have not tracked the vette more then a few times but I must have braked hard somewhere along the way...noticeable grooves all along the rotor surface, turning them did not look like an option...the shop for the OPs car probably saw something like this.

Last edited by Dendk; 08-30-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considers changing the points when you change the rotor?

Get notified of new replies

To When do you change the rotor on the c6?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coryvte
Have you considers changing the points when you change the rotor?
5 ponies at least

Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will call bs without even seeing the rotors. I'm sure the tech saw some "surface irregularities" on the rotors, anyone else would see rotors that don't need replaced much less turned. And speaking of turning rotors, what a waste of time unless they are warped. In any other case you'll just need new rotors sooner than you would have.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Dendk
I am at 35k on mine and the rotors will need replacing, have not tracked the vette more then a few times but I must have braked hard somewhere along the way...noticeable grooves all along the rotor surface, turning them did not look like an option...the shop for the OPs car probably saw something like this.

I would have to look at a better picture, but in this picture, I would not say the rotor definitely needs to be replaced. There will always be a wear pattern on the disc, replacement is either when the disc becomes too thin or when the grooves are deep...

Quick Reply: When do you change the rotor on the c6?