C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

References Made to Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
...IF YOU HAVE A MAJOR DRIVETRAIN FAILURE (which 99.999% of you will not) AND YOU HAVE A TUNE INSTALLED AT THAT TIME...GM WILL give you a hard time depending on the dealership and the circumstance.
Isn't that pretty much what I said in fewer words and you said was "not true at all"? The 5 year warranty is the drivetrain warranty. Why bring wiperblades and oil changes into the discussion? It seems we both agree that if you have a drivetrain issue covered by the 5 year warranty and GM discovers a tune they have stated they will not cover the loss. And when you say they will give you a "hard time" http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77I0Z820110819 is what you have in mind?
...The big problem that I have with your one-sided warranty rant...
Pointing out facts we both agree on is a "rant"?
...Show me even more than a handful that broke an LS3/A6 car and I'll agree there is cause for alarm....
It only takes one (and I believe there are several) to make pointing out the fact that a tune is reason to deny the 5 year warranty repairs helpful.
...Also, with my tune there have never been any reported failures with vehicles operated responsibly.....
Is that little caveat the reason you won't provide your own guarantee?
...but when a tune in a Corvette is removed, The dealer can not tell....
I will agree that is a disputed point that I can't prove (yet) but in any case it is fraud. If I rob a 7-11 and then hide the money and the gun I'm still guilty.
... I'm not promoting scams.. If you break it doing something stupid, you should pay for it...
And whether or not the scam is detected it is still a scam.
...Too many people are allowed make statements of opinion and not fact...
Again we seem to agree. But the way to rectify that is with more facts, not less.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Wow now Cow. You sound very confident that the warrantee will not be void.

Do you then guarantee in writing that if one of your customers has a failure and GM denies the warrantee, that YOU will fully cover all repair costs?

*crickets*
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 AM
ScottBourne
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a tune - your engine/drive train warranty may (probably will) be toast - but the rest of the warranty is intact. No need to go crazy.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recall reading a thread on the G8 forum regarding someone flashing their tune back to stock and getting warranty repair while going through the complete GM bulletin procedure. For newer diesel trucks the ECM has a counter that shows how many times the ECM has been flashed and some diesel owners have been denied warranty based off of that counter despite returning their tune to stock. I don't know if there is currently anyway around this.

To my knowledge LS2, LS3, LS7 corvettes from 05-09 don't have this counter. ZR1s and 2010 vettes and newer, I'm not sure.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
A tune will void your 5 year 100K mile warranty permanently. Once done the car keeps a record so you can't hide it. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it for that reason. That's up to you. I'm just pointing out the downside.
Hello,

Not true, this only applies to Chevy Diesel trucks. Chevy got tired of paying for new engines and transmission in the Diesel trucks. With a tune you can add huge horsepower gains to Diesels trucks and destroy the engine/drivetrain.

But also realize you are committing Fraud if you expect a warranty after a tune.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 09-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Glen220
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tune will void your 5 year 100K mile warranty permanently. Once done the car keeps a record so you can't hide it. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it for that reason. That's up to you. I'm just pointing out the downside.

Not at all true. Call me any time for the true story.
Chuck you ar not only wrong, but deceptive. GM will void your mechanical warranty over an aftermarket tune. Period

GM can also tell if it had been changed. I know one of the Corvette engineers and we have had this discussion, GM can tell (this is not a friend of a friends cousins, sisters brother, it is someone I can call or e-mail. He knows these cars inside and out, he is one of the engineers!). Yes, you can rerturn it to stock tune, they can still tell it was changed and changed back, hence, voided warranty.

So, you are now being deceptive and making money off of the deception. I can't wait until one of the guys who has one of your tunes blows a motor and GM denies thier warranty and your customer sues you!

Since you have posted all over this forum how you can tune it, then change it back, and GM can't tell you will probably be paying out some cash as a settlement and some large attorney fees!

If you would just be honest with people and say what your tune will do for the car, then add, "this tune may void your new car warranty depending upon the warranty issue" you would be home free. But no, you have to be deceptive not only to your customers, but to GM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 PM
ScottBourne
Intermediate

Default Deceptive?

What is deceptive is to indicate that a tune will void your ENTIRE warranty. It will not. I know first hand. I have had three cars tuned. ALL warranty work not related to the engine/drive train was performed without question. It's deceptive to imply that an ENTIRE warranty is at risk with a tune. Perhaps some of the people attacking here have interest in a competing product or company - but know the truth. There's deception going on here but it's not necessarily from the tuner.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScottBourne
What is deceptive is to indicate that a tune will void your ENTIRE warranty...
And maybe you can indicate who other than yourself and Chuck is talking about the "ENTIRE" warranty? You have 3 warranty contracts on new cars. There is the 5 year/100K mile drivetrain warranty. That is the one everyone else is talking about and that one is entirely gone forever if a dealer ever finds a tune. Then there is the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty that covers most other things from seat not moving to roadside assistance. Obviously a tune isn't going to affect that and the dealer won't even check for a tune for those faults. Finally there is the 12 month tire warranty. Again, a tune isn't going to cause a tire to have a manufacturing defect so when the sidewall of a tire bulges out no one is going to check for a tune.

So who is being deceptive here? Who is setting up straw man arguments?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 AM
ScottBourne
Intermediate

And maybe you can indicate who other than yourself and Chuck is talking about the "ENTIRE" warranty? You have 3 warranty contracts on new cars. There is the 5 year/100K mile drivetrain warranty. That is the one everyone else is talking about and that one is entirely gone forever if a dealer ever finds a tune. Then there is the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty that covers most other things from seat not moving to roadside assistance. Obviously a tune isn't going to affect that and the dealer won't even check for a tune for those faults. Finally there is the 12 month tire warranty. Again, a tune isn't going to cause a tire to have a manufacturing defect so when the sidewall of a tire bulges out no one is going to check for a tune.

So who is being deceptive here? Who is setting up straw man arguments?
Ummm to answer your question - YOU are being deceptive AND setting up straw man arguments.

And exactly how is it you know for sure what "everyone is talking about" and for that matter what everyone understands? I don't believe you do.

Perhaps you just have poor reading comprehension. Perhaps you assume that you know how everyone else thinks. Or perhaps you just need to win an argument online with someone you don't know. Whichever it is - who cares? I didn't come looking for a fight - I just wanted to set the record straight. I don't want people misunderstanding the warranty issue. I'm moving on now.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

... I'm moving on now.
Bye.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

As we've been "told" by the lawyer types, a tune will not "void your warranty" and Al corrected himself on later posts. But GM has, and will continue to search for drivetrain impacts such as alteration to the computer in the event a warranty "claim" is made. And if they notice a significant alteration to something such as the computer that controls parts of the drivetrain, they may/will deny a claim. So, the warranty isn't void; but the claim for warranty work to the drivetrain is denied.

All the stuff about 99% and whomever cares about that aside, you do a tune, try to revert back to the original, or put in a different box, whatever, and the engine blows (maybe it was going to blow all on its own at 25K miles???? even without a tune????)---you will be paying out of pocket for the repair/replacement.

As Clint would say, are you willing to take that chance? And as I would say, have you got the $5K-$12K in your account? If so, you are "ready to play" and you are "ready to pay" in the event that the worst-case scenario happens.

And why will it be YOU paying? Because GM won't. And neither will the tuner unless you have that in writing, too. Because you do have the 5yr./100K mile warranty in writing.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

If you get a tune - your engine/drive train warranty may (probably will) be toast - but the rest of the warranty is intact. No need to go crazy.
Right, but we are talking about the powertrain warranty here.

Getting an aftermarket tune opens the door to GM denying warranty work on the power train. Period.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
legbuh
Racer

If the vette tranny and motor can't take a moderate tune, I don't want it anymore. The car that is, not the tune. I'll go back to the Germans.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Is there anyone here that has had a warranty issue denied because of a tune?

Now, if your car also has such things as headers, aftermarket cam, head work, superchargers, or anything like that ... there is no reason to post about being denied powertrain warranty work.

Were talking about basically a stock C6 Corvette with just a tune.

Anyone?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
torque*is*cheap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car's out of warranty anyway, so I can boldly reap the benefits of a tune without worry (it's pretty conservative, about a 10-bhp bump on a stock engine).

Love the extra-crisp throttle response, and the elimination of both the CAGS and the "1-4 shift" light on the instrument cluster.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ummm to answer your question - YOU are being deceptive AND setting up straw man arguments.

And exactly how is it you know for sure what "everyone is talking about" and for that matter what everyone understands? I don't believe you do.

Perhaps you just have poor reading comprehension. Perhaps you assume that you know how everyone else thinks. Or perhaps you just need to win an argument online with someone you don't know. Whichever it is - who cares? I didn't come looking for a fight - I just wanted to set the record straight. I don't want people misunderstanding the warranty issue. I'm moving on now.
No, he was right...everyone (other than you and Chuck) is talking about the 5 year powertrain warranty....
Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
BLOWNALKY01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legbuh
If the vette tranny and motor can't take a moderate tune, I don't want it anymore. The car that is, not the tune. I'll go back to the Germans.
Well you're missing the point, but anyway, see ya!

Jack.

Get notified of new replies

To References Made to Tune

Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Is there anyone here that has had a warranty issue denied because of a tune?

Now, if your car also has such things as headers, aftermarket cam, head work, superchargers, or anything like that ... there is no reason to post about being denied powertrain warranty work.

Were talking about basically a stock C6 Corvette with just a tune.

Anyone?

Well? No one? Not even one person with first hand experience to report?

Then guess what: It never happens.

Stop scaring each other.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
P0234
Pro

Perhaps someone can find some legal precedent, I tried and could not find any on a couple of legal case websites. The best I could do was find some aftermarket alarm cases. So until someone actually finds a case, two things are happening:

1. GM is denying the warranty and owners are just giving up.

2. Owners are giving GM a hard enough time to get them to cover it.

Until there is a real court case, its all back to push and shove.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Cool Rod

Well? No one? Not even one person with first hand experience to report?

Then guess what: It never happens.

Stop scaring each other.
C'mon, you can't be serious? This forum has on average 1,500 active posters...in all forums...at any one time. There are currently about 190,000 C6 Corvettes on the road. You can't base any reasonable facts on 7/10's of one percent population. Only 775 people have even viewed this thread.

Quick Reply: References Made to Tune