C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abnormal Parasitic Battery Draw

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 603 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
From what I can see on the Snap-on site, the microvat is not designed for this purpose...it says that it is for checking the starting and charging systems and the battery. A parasitic draw has nothing to do with these systems...other than the fact that it will ultimately draw down the battery enough for the Microvat to see.
I wasn't using the MicroVAT for parasitic draw testing I was trying to check just the condition of the battery with it. It won't let me proceed with the test because it must see a draw on the battery and thinks an accessory is on which wouldn't give an accurate test.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

How long did you wait before connecting it? It takes a while for everything to shut down again after opening the door to open the hood.

So, disconnect the battery and THEN check its condition.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
How long did you wait before connecting it? It takes a while for everything to shut down again after opening the door to open the hood.

I didn't want to disconnect the battery (even with a battery power saver plugged into OBD II connector) because I don't want to give the dealer any reason to point the finger at me and say I was the cause of any electrical component failures from spikes or whatever. The battery has never been disconnected in this car. I just thought I would check the battery with the MicroVat myself before I brought it to the dealer this Thursday. I didn't realize the MicroVAT would give me that message. If I was able to get a battery test and the results were bad battery I was going to call dealer and ask them if they wanted me to replace battery prior to my appointment. Of course if I was going to replace battery at that point I would check and see if draw was still present. Now I guess I just wait it out and bring to dealer on Thursday.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:32 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

I let it sit overnight. I just connected the MicroVAT again and now it allowed me to do the battery test. The battery tested good.

Quick Reply: Abnormal Parasitic Battery Draw