C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 front bumper on Reg C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Xedes
There's a black base with the Z nose and it looked spot on. He had a great body shop make some cuts here and there and it turned out perfect. If I remember correctly he was from California.

I think any shop that deals with a lot of body kits will know what they're doing and be able to blend the two together.

It would take a little work but I also believe that you COULD do it and it most people would never notice anything about it that looked 'not right'.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It can be done. When I did my widebody I took some pics of the front bumper aligned with the stock fenders just to see what would need to be donw to make it work if you wanted that. As mentioned before, the wide stock fender lip doesn't match but it's not terrible. The biggest hurdle is teh interface between them. If you look close you can see 4 silver extrisions sticking down from the stock fender. These fit into 4 indents in teh stock bumper. The Z fenders and bumper have 3 of these extrusions. So you would have to do something to make them fit flush if you mixed them together.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nd4Spd2, excellent photos. That explains a lot. I'll bet GM did that so they wouldn't accidentally put the wrong bumper with the wrong fender, AND to discourage us from trying it.

Looks like they're are a few other differences as well (hole alignments).

Yes, that would take some extra work but it could be done.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 09-15-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 AM
tonmarchelli
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt know this was an option for us. Its not perfect but I actually dont mind the fact that the "lip" doesnt continue around to the whole bumper. but i guess its a matter of opinion. I may look into doing this on my car. Its a cheaper alternative to doing the entire wide body conversion. and i love a challange like getting them to fit doesnt seem that difficult.

ive looked at all the aftermarket options and nothing really suits my fancy. the Sic Motor sports on has the lower lip part im not huge on, the cianci has been plauged with problems. and in the end. noting fits or has the same factory finish as OEM parts.

something to spend my money on :0
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Nd4Spd2, excellent photos. That explains a lot. I'll bet GM did that so they wouldn't accidentally put the wrong bumper with the wrong fender, AND to discourage us from trying it.

Looks like they're are a few other differences as well (hole alignments).

Yes, that would take some extra work but it could be done.
You think gm wanted to discourage us from doing this aftermarket? Uh, ok, yeah, GM would really care about that.
And I mean after-purchase!! Lol
Old 09-16-2011, 11:31 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
You think gm wanted to discourage us from doing this aftermarket? Uh, ok, yeah, GM would really care about that.
And I mean after-purchase!! Lol
David, your right, I'm sure that GM didn't sit around in meetings and think how can we make sure that 'John Doe' doesn't put out Z06 nose on a stock Corvette.

It's just an unintended result that makes it unlikely that many people would try it.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 AM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So could you just get the front fenders and front bumper and bolt it on a base C6? I realize the fiberglass inners that glue onto the frame are different but can be made to work just need to fill a 1" line there.

What about all the other parts underneath, cuz I can get a front bumper for $300, and if I can find the fenders for a good price off a grand sport, for those who have done this swap. Are all the other inside parts that come with the conversion kits really necessary or can I make this work using the stock inner plastic trim pieces.

Thank you!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:44 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mourat
So could you just get the front fenders and front bumper and bolt it on a base C6? I realize the fiberglass inners that glue onto the frame are different but can be made to work just need to fill a 1" line there.

What about all the other parts underneath, cuz I can get a front bumper for $300, and if I can find the fenders for a good price off a grand sport, for those who have done this swap. Are all the other inside parts that come with the conversion kits really necessary or can I make this work using the stock inner plastic trim pieces.

Thank you!
If your going to install the Z06 front bumper and wider front fenders, you do need the conversion parts that go with it. The big lower grill opening and parts behind it are different than a regular bumper. There may be a few small parts that work with both narrow and wide front ends, but those are not included in the conversion kits anyway.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 PM
redcloud1023
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
If your going to install the Z06 front bumper and wider front fenders, you do need the conversion parts that go with it. The big lower grill opening and parts behind it are different than a regular bumper. There may be a few small parts that work with both narrow and wide front ends, but those are not included in the conversion kits anyway.
I'm in the process of converting to the Sic motorsports bumper now. How did you reconnect the air shrowd going to the radiator to the new bumper? The shop I'm using is acting like their going to have to make mods, but it supposed to be bolt on.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM
ZoomnC6
Instructor

Nc looks great!
Old 05-22-2016, 02:52 PM
ROYSTOLL2
5th Gear

Default new fenders on standard C-6

Originally Posted by mourat

Thank you!
I just put after market ZR-1 and Zo-6 fenders on both to make mine a wide body and still use stock front bumper. After market fenders are plain garbage but I reinforced them and made them work, so please buy the GM-OEM parts or maybe Eckler. You have to replace rear inner liners but I re-used the front. Maybe I should have changed them but I did it myself with nobody to ask. I do want to add the chin spoiler with the better brake cooling intakes. Has anybody done this before that I could talk to?

Last edited by ROYSTOLL2; 05-22-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add wording
Old 05-22-2016, 05:25 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone have the web site for SIC motorsports?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:48 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by biker1059
Does anyone have the web site for SIC motorsports?
FYI - As far as I know, they no longer make that front bumper.

Also, not sure if they are still in business.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:53 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Bumping for reference purposes

vetfever

Quick Reply: Z06 front bumper on Reg C6