C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Steering Column Lock 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:51 AM
billas vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures

Do I squeeze the tabs while yellow "T" is in place or with the yellow "T" up like In the second photo? Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2017, 11:44 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

I am upgrading to a newer style steering wheel. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the steering column covers...I see no 1" rubber strap to remove? Am I not looking in the right area....thoughts I looked everywhere...? (2005 car)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:11 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I am upgrading to a newer style steering wheel. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the steering column covers...I see no 1" rubber strap to remove? Am I not looking in the right area....thoughts I looked everywhere...? (2005 car)
Here are the instructions for a 2005 Steering Wheel (Telescopic)
The manual wheel has a slightly different configuration for the column covers removal.
If you need the instructions for the manual wheel, let me know and I'll post those as well.
Attached Images
Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Here are the instructions for a 2005 Steering Wheel (Telescopic)
The manual wheel has a slightly different configuration for the column covers removal.
If you need the instructions for the manual wheel, let me know and I'll post those as well.
Yes,mine is a manual. That would be great thanks....I have never had a steering column lock issue....but is there something I should be doing to prevent it while I'm in here?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:12 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Yes,mine is a manual. That would be great thanks....I have never had a steering column lock issue....but is there something I should be doing to prevent it while I'm in here?
Here are the instructions for the manual steering wheel.

As far as the Column lock, there is a bypass that you can purchase and install. There are many threads on that subject.
If you input this "2005 C6 Corvette Steering Column Lock Bypass Eliminator" in the popular e-store, you can purchase one and install it while your steering wheel is apart.

Good luck
Attached Images
Old 02-24-2017, 12:54 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Fantastic thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 01:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by csnow
Here is a DIY for those that have the no start issue due to the worn out solenoid in the column lock. If you have an 05 and your car wont start (gauges sweep but nothing) and you have to pull the negative cable repeatedly to get the car to start, then you need to replace your SCL. If your column lock is going out you will hear a difference in the noises your column makes while unlocking the wheel. Instead of a fast zip, it may labor, be extra noisy, or barely sound at all.

I pulled together a couple of threads and then added pics to complete this DIY. The steering wheel photos were borrowed from cencalC6's steering wheel removal thread.

Here is the part you will be replacing. I picked it up from Kevin at PartsTaxi for $370.00 Kevin is the best guy with the best prices on the forum. I have bought from the others but Kevin will have all my future business.

VERY IMPORTANT BEFORE YOU START....DISCONNECT THE BATTERY and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

First, remove the airbag

On each side of the steering wheel there is a little tiny hole.Use a small allen wrench or screwdriver and push and feel for a tab that has some type of spring feel to it.At the same time pull on the airbag gently on the side your are pushing in......Now shove a wrench or some type of a smooth object, between the airbag and the wheel.... so it will not attach itself back in place.Repeat the same step on the other side of the wheel.

NOTE: On the 05 there are four holes (two on each side) because we have the dough boy wheel

The below image is from an 06 and up wheel.

With a flat head screwdriver gently pry out the little plastic locking tabs.then you squeez the connectors and remove them.

Unplug this Black connector

With a 21mm socket remove the nut on the steering wheel

Notice that the wheel and shaft have alignment markes, make sure that they are aligned when removed and installed. VERY IMPORTANT

Gently pull on steering wheel left to right and it will free itself loose

This next step is on how to remove the clock spring

Revove the bottom panel underneath your Steering wheel,there 2 torx screws that need to be removed after that then gently pop out the panel there are 2 plastic tabs that will snap out.

Remove this stainless bracket out the way, (4) 7mm bolts that need to be removed.

Remove Steering Column Cover...Firmly Remove 1" Rubber Strap towards the front of the car

You will need to use a C clip tool to remove the clock spring. Sear sells a nice two-way action one with differnet sized pins for multiple jobs.

Once the C clip is removed, remove the clock spring and set it to the side (I didnt unhook it, I just moved it out of my way)

Next, you need to remove another retaining clip. There is a large spring on the reverse side of this plate that must be compressed to remove the retaining clip. I could not push the spring by hand, so I had to buy a steering wheel lock plate removal tool. It was $17 at Advanced Auto - Autocraft Part #AC579.

Tool in use. The tool has a wing nut on it but the spring pressure was too tight so I had to clamp some good ole red neck vice grips on there. I will probably replace the wing nut with a regular nut, but not today.

Clip removed

Remove the wiper and turn signal. Torx screws and clips

There's the little bugger that left me outside one too many stores with my hood up while I kept unhooking the negative battery cable! Nothing like a teenage kid walking by saying nice car while he drives off in his civic -

Remove the steering column lock. Two torx screws on the front and one torx screw on the right side where the wiper controller was mounted.

The white ribbon cable is heading up behind the gauge cluster - great....

Remove bezel from around gauge cluster. There are four snap clips. Pull gently and it will pop out. Disconnect the wires needed to get it out of your way.

The dash cluster is held in by four 7mm nuts

Cluster is removed and there is the end of our ribbon cable

Unplug the cable from the little black box and reroute your new ribbon cable in with the same routing. There are some securing clips along the path that are part of the cable itself

Ummm, I sure hope I remember how all this goes back together

Put everyting back in the reverse order that you removed it.

Here is my beautiful wife putting the clip back in on the reassembly. She has a lot more patience than me and is actually a good mechanic. She should be, she has a mechanical engineering degree. Yes, I know, the car needs washed. It rained the other day.

Hope this helps someone in the future. The job isnt that bad but the various clips and such can be a real pain in the rear. Car fires right up and the SCL is making a nice zip instead of the moan and groan it used to.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Do most of the 2005 cars eventually have an issue with the column lock mechanism? I have had mine for 8 yrs w/o issue.....or is it worth doing as I'm nearly there already?
The following users liked this post:
Biggie G (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

When changing clockspring from 05-newer versions....the harnesses on the bottom side (thin black one) didn't work....what to do here?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

x2, I havent had issues (thank God) should I do this swap anyway? thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Do most of the 2005 cars eventually have an issue with the column lock mechanism? I have had mine for 8 yrs w/o issue.....or is it worth doing as I'm nearly there already?
2005 manuals only a matter of time. Just look at the internal parts and you can see why. I posted them years ago. There's a nylon worm gear in there as I recall that just screams soon to fail.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hoonose
2005 manuals only a matter of time. Just look at the internal parts and you can see why. I posted them years ago. There's a nylon worm gear in there as I recall that just screams soon to fail.
Good thing got a 4 spd. auto.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS WON
Good thing got a 4 spd. auto.
You still have it?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:17 PM
Darp
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarlow
Part #: 88963402
https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/oem-pa...-elek-88963402 Says no longer availible?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Darp
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darp
Found the bypass aftmkt product, much better solution and cheaper
is install video

and here to get https://www.ebay.com/p/C6-2005-Corve...tor/1862746687
Old 03-31-2019, 12:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

You still have it?
I sure do 14+ yrs. now.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:47 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

I sure do 14+ yrs. now.
I posted that over a year ago!

My LC 500 is already in 4th gear at about 15 MPH!

Get notified of new replies

To DIY - Steering Column Lock 2005

Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I posted that over a year ago!

My LC 500 is already in 4th gear at about 15 MPH!
Better late than never.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Better late than never.
God bless you and your still wonderful ride!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

God bless you and your still wonderful ride!

Quick Reply: DIY - Steering Column Lock 2005