C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong smell of gas in car

Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Strong smell of gas in car

07 coupe with 74,000 miles of smiles. Last week I started smelling a hint of gas in my car, esp in the morning. At first I thought it might be coming from the 85 C4 that always parks to the left. That would put the 85 fuel filter right by my drivers door.

Checked the 85 out, no leaks at all.

Now the smell is getting pretty strong. I could smell it all the way home last night even with the windows half way down.

Anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions as what to look for?

I have looked for a leak under the car but did not see anything. Garage carpet is always dry.

My 07 has been a perfect car up till now, no problems at all. Just normal replacement items. But this has me worried.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Default Strong smell of gas in car

Stop hitting the Taco Bell drive through?

Seriously though......no SEL? I just replaced the gas cap on my '07 because it wasn't sealing properly. But if that happens, the computer should throw a code and turn on the SEL.

And I'm not sure about the C6 but possibly the evaporative vent for the fuel tanks?

Last edited by KenHorse; 09-24-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Stop hitting the Taco Bell drive through?
Only in my wifes car.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Other than stereo equipment being installed in the bulkhead and screwed into the gas tank I don't have anything to offer.

But I certainly wouldn't be parking the car in the garage any more until I got it fixed.

Hope it's an easy fix. Let us know what happens.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 AM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's a long shot: I had a similar gas smell problem on my 1994 Olds Aurora after about 150,000+ miles (I traded it in at 170,000). The problem was the fuel rail, which had deteriorated, was leaking and needed to be replaced. In any event, please get your car checked ASAP -- risk of fire is increased.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Any codes? Any work done recently underneath, like the exhaust system?

IIRC, there were a few threads about fuel odors traced to the Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent.

Might be something simple like a damaged hose... take a look under the car. Diagrams & descriptions that might help your inspection:
http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf
(I believe the C6 is practically the same.)

A similar recent thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...gas-smell.html

Let us know what happens.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Any codes? Any work done recently underneath, like the exhaust system?

IIRC, there were a few threads about fuel odors traced to the Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent.

Might be something simple like a damaged hose... take a look under the car. Diagrams & descriptions that might help your inspection:
http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf
(I believe the C6 is practically the same.)

A similar recent thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...gas-smell.html

Let us know what happens.
Thanks for the links. Going out to look at it now.
If I cant find anything I think I will go to LG on Monday. Need to have them check for an exaust leak anyway(they installed my headers 4 yrs ago).

No codes or SEL and car runs great. No drop in gas mileage either.

Out to the garage I go.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM
wayback
Team Owner

There is an odor of gas on the drivers side, but no vis leaks. Diff is leaking a bit so I need to have that fixed also. Time to go to LG next week.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by wayback
07 coupe with 74,000 miles of smiles. Last week I started smelling a hint of gas in my car, esp in the morning. At first I thought it might be coming from the 85 C4 that always parks to the left. That would put the 85 fuel filter right by my drivers door.

Checked the 85 out, no leaks at all.

Now the smell is getting pretty strong. I could smell it all the way home last night even with the windows half way down.

Anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions as what to look for?

I have looked for a leak under the car but did not see anything. Garage carpet is always dry.

My 07 has been a perfect car up till now, no problems at all. Just normal replacement items. But this has me worried.
Did you put the car on a lift and check or just peaked in the garage? I had a 92 Beretta and the leak started slowly and you would not see any drips on the floor but the fuel line had corroded. Only found it after putting on the hoist, be careful 'cause I see people throwing cigarette butts out their windows all the time.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Did you put the car on a lift and check or just peaked in the garage? I had a 92 Beretta and the leak started slowly and you would not see any drips on the floor but the fuel line had corroded. Only found it after putting on the hoist, be careful 'cause I see people throwing cigarette butts out their windows all the time.
I do not have a lift, but I did get it up enough for me to crawl under.
Would a bad gas cap cause this?

I think I will replace both cars caps and see if it helps. 85 is probably due anyway.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I do not have a lift, but I did get it up enough for me to crawl under.
Would a bad gas cap cause this?

I think I will replace both cars caps and see if it helps. 85 is probably due anyway.
I also should have asked whether you have a noticeable higher gas consumption because in the last stages there was higher gas consumption in my car.

You can try the gas caps as it is not an expensive experiment.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:35 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Thanks for the links. Going out to look at it now.
If I cant find anything I think I will go to LG on Monday. Need to have them check for an exaust leak anyway(they installed my headers 4 yrs ago).

No codes or SEL and car runs great. No drop in gas mileage either.

Out to the garage I go.
Don't forget the dog biskets
Old 09-24-2011, 11:38 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Check the EVAP canister vent hose up near the fuel neck to see if it came off. You may have to remove the inner rear fender to check this. If not it could be the top of the fuel pump sending unit where it attaches to the tank. They use neoprene washers that can eventually loosen or wear. This happened in my 2007 Z06 and it took me forever to find. No fuel leaking because it was on the top of the tank. The smell was terrible though in the garage or enclosed places especially after fill ups. Had to drop the tank to eventually find and repair.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 AM
clarkakirby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that when you last stopped for fuel, you stepped into a puddle of fuel and transferred the gasoline smell onto your Corvette's carpet? I have done that, myself, and it reeks for days.

Other than that, a fuel injection rail/high pressure fuel line leak is something you MUST take very seriously. That is the cause of cars bursting into flames on the highway, soon after turning into gutted hulks. Get your car to the closest lift and have someone check it out.
-Clark
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
Check the EVAP canister vent hose up near the fuel neck to see if it came off. You may have to remove the inner rear fender to check this. If not it could be the top of the fuel pump sending unit where it attaches to the tank. They use neoprene washers that can eventually loosen or wear. This happened in my 2007 Z06 and it took me forever to find. No fuel leaking because it was on the top of the tank. The smell was terrible though in the garage or enclosed places especially after fill ups. Had to drop the tank to eventually find and repair.
Just removed the wheel well liner. Evap hose was connected but I took it off anyway. It was over half full of gas. Took a small wire and cleaned out the connector. Washed the car and parked it in the garage. No smell of gas so far......will keep checking it today.

Hope just some dust from over filling clogged that evap connector. The hole is very small leading to the hose.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I also should have asked whether you have a noticeable higher gas consumption because in the last stages there was higher gas consumption in my car.

You can try the gas caps as it is not an expensive experiment.
A cap that isn't sealing properly will throw a code and cause the SEL to light
Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I would have it smoked if you aren't sure it's fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Strong smell of gas in car

Old 09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Dennis08
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Just removed the wheel well liner. Evap hose was connected but I took it off anyway. It was over half full of gas. Took a small wire and cleaned out the connector. Washed the car and parked it in the garage. No smell of gas so far......will keep checking it today.

Hope just some dust from over filling clogged that evap connector. The hole is very small leading to the hose.
Could be it. When filling your tank make sure and stop once the gas nozzle clicks off. Don't try to fill to neck. Usually if evap is clogged you will get a CEL, but maybe in this case you just got the smell.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

wayback – I’d also suggest speaking with your dealership about this. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strong smell of gas in car