C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Boat Fusion Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 PM
altonloe
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Billy Boat Fusion Rattles

I installed a new Billy Boat Fusion exhaust on my C6 Coupe. It sounds great and I love the ability to go from Wild to Mild. I do hear a drone at certain speeds, but switching to the Mild mode eliminates that entirely. And it sounds SO GOOD when you start the car and accelerating through the gears.

Now that I've had it a few weeks it seems to have developed a rattle. I hear it in both the Mild and Wild modes. It is intermittent and never seems to happen when I first start the car. But when the car and exhaust gets warmed up it rattles. I called the factory and they are sending me some springs to put on the valves (or baffles or whatever you call them). But they said this problem is new and has only been reported when in the Mild mode. Maybe they said you can't hear it when in the Wild mode. I can hear it regardless of the mode.

Anyone else seen this problem and have a suggestion?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Did you change the hanger straps for the increased weight? My wife's 07's stock exhaust were alot lighter than the Corsa sports she put on and she needed to change the rubber hangers.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, check your clamps where the Fusion ties into the stock H-pipe. They may need to be re-tightened after driving for a while.

I had one of the stock clamps that had actually stretched and I needed to add a small piece of exhaust manifold gasket material to take up the slack.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

You should also check the retaining spring clips in the center tunnel.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM
altonloe
Heel & Toe

The rattle is fixed. Thanks to Billy Boat for their excellent customer service!

Two things were done. There were actually two rattles! The first thing we did was to install springs on the shafts that the butterfly valves are attached to. The spring was supplied by Billy Boat for FREE. They tell me it is on all of their new shipments of the fusion exhaust. The spring removes all of the free play on the valve and stops all of the noise coming from the valves chattering.

The second thing was a bit tougher to find. The exhaust was actually growing as the exhaust heats up. It was moving back to the back of the car by about a half inch. This caused the diaphragm to contact the frame at the rear of the car. We were able to push the exhaust about an inch toward the front of the car and now that rattle is gone too.

The funny thing about this last fix is that my wife found the problem! I had looked and looked for the problem, but she just tapped the bottom of each exhaust tip when the car was hot and got the one on the driver side to make the noise. After she did that it was easy to find where it was contacting the frame. But without her, it would probably still be making noise!
The following users liked this post:
Big Top Gt (10-02-2023)
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

call billy boat mfr.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Surf2602
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rattle

Originally Posted by altonloe
The rattle is fixed. Thanks to Billy Boat for their excellent customer service!

Two things were done. There were actually two rattles! The first thing we did was to install springs on the shafts that the butterfly valves are attached to. The spring was supplied by Billy Boat for FREE. They tell me it is on all of their new shipments of the fusion exhaust. The spring removes all of the free play on the valve and stops all of the noise coming from the valves chattering.

The second thing was a bit tougher to find. The exhaust was actually growing as the exhaust heats up. It was moving back to the back of the car by about a half inch. This caused the diaphragm to contact the frame at the rear of the car. We were able to push the exhaust about an inch toward the front of the car and now that rattle is gone too.

The funny thing about this last fix is that my wife found the problem! I had looked and looked for the problem, but she just tapped the bottom of each exhaust tip when the car was hot and got the one on the driver side to make the noise. After she did that it was easy to find where it was contacting the frame. But without her, it would probably still be making noise!
I know this is an old thread. I have the same rattle by the butterfly's, they mailed me 2 springs but I'm not sure how to install them. Could you please send me a picture of what yours look like on the exhaust. It will help me out a lot. Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf2602
I know this is an old thread. I have the same rattle by the butterfly's, they mailed me 2 springs but I'm not sure how to install them. Could you please send me a picture of what yours look like on the exhaust. It will help me out a lot. Thanks
did you ever get this issue resolved? im looking at this exhaust so i'm curious if its a widespread issue.

thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Surf2602
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
did you ever get this issue resolved? im looking at this exhaust so i'm curious if its a widespread issue.

thanks
Yes the springs did the trick. I couldn't get them on for the life of me, had an exhaust shop do it. Mine are an older version the new ones supposedly have the springs already. This exhaust is one of the best mods I've done. Looks and sounds awesome. Best of both worlds. I have headers and it sounds great. Opened up it's very loud. I'm in my mid 30's anyone who says there not loud enough should get some hearing aids😁 and the 4" round tips fill the back nice
Old 07-03-2014, 04:28 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf2602
Yes the springs did the trick. I couldn't get them on for the life of me, had an exhaust shop do it. Mine are an older version the new ones supposedly have the springs already. This exhaust is one of the best mods I've done. Looks and sounds awesome. Best of both worlds. I have headers and it sounds great. Opened up it's very loud. I'm in my mid 30's anyone who says there not loud enough should get some hearing aids😁 and the 4" round tips fill the back nice
this is my concern also. if they are close to being as loud and throaty in the open position as the lm2 I presently have i'll be a happy camper.
if not...they'll be in the classifieds.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I have them on my 08, been on for about a year and no rattles at all. They are not to loud and the ability to close them is great.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 PM
awsum97
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
call billy boat mfr.
What is customer service phone number? I cannot find the number
Old 06-02-2016, 05:03 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

I have the same issue.

Got the springs from Billy Boat support but for the life of me can't figure out how in the world you are supposed to get them on the valve shafts.

The springs are too small to open one end and thread them on the shaft and if there is a way to disassemble the valve shaft assembly to add the springs I can't see how.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by awsum97
What is customer service phone number? I cannot find the number
I dealt with Mike at Billy Boat. His email is mike@bbexhaust.com
Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I have the Fusion exhaust also, there is a rattle i hear after the car get warmed up also but i was unable to determine where the rattle was coming from, I was suspicious of the exhaust and now i'm sure i have the same issue. Thanks for this post it was very helpful and i will be contacting B&B about getting the springs.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:46 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

OK, just got off the phone with Mike from Billy Boat.

The way you get the springs on is you have to stretch out the first coil enough to that you can easily start threading it onto the exposed shaft. Then you keep rotating the spring to wind the spring onto the shaft. Once it is on you may end up having to snip from 1/2 to a whole coil off to remove the deformed part of the spring.

Additionally, Mike suggested that for folks that don't have enough shaft play to install the spring that an alternative solution is to use e-clips on the top and bottom ends of the shaft to remove enough excess play to eliminate the rattle but not so much that it adds resistance to the opening/closing of the shaft.

I'm gonna try installing the springs this weekend and see what works.

Last edited by RC4G; 06-03-2016 at 05:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Billy Boat Fusion Rattles

Quick Reply: Billy Boat Fusion Rattles