C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion: do Delco batteries leak & do Optimas live long time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Discussion: do Delco batteries leak & do Optimas live long time?

I have a couple of issues that I would like some input on. In the C5 days, the OEM Delco batteries were known to leak acid (not all of them, but you sure didn't want to be one of the lucky ones) making a mess and potentially causing elec problems. Also, the battery (not a Delco) in my Camaro leaked causing a mess. I did replace it with an Optima red top.

In general, I am leary of lead acid batteries in my cars now.

So - second question: I hear some folks are not happy with their Optima batteries. Is it a longevity issue ? With my C5, I bought an Exide gel cell and it seamed to be o.k.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

I've used the factory Delco batteries my entire life on all my cars (including 5 Corvettes). I have NEVER had one leak, not even a drop. They have all provided excellent service and service life.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I have a couple of issues that I would like some input on. In the C5 days, the OEM Delco batteries were known to leak acid (not all of them, but you sure didn't want to be one of the lucky ones) making a mess and potentially causing elec problems. Also, the battery (not a Delco) in my Camaro leaked causing a mess. I did replace it with an Optima red top.

In general, I am leary of lead acid batteries in my cars now.

So - second question: I hear some folks are not happy with their Optima batteries. Is it a longevity issue ? With my C5, I bought an Exide gel cell and it seamed to be o.k.
Almost any battery can leak, the gels are better. I have 2 optima red top batteries. I don't think they are any better or worse than other quality batteries. Considering the cost of an optima, probably won't buy another one. Believe it or not , the sears line of batteries are highly rated, as are exide and delco.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:46 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had nothing but great service from Delco and Motorcraft. The Delco's in my GMC diesel are 6 years old now.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:18 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

In our daily drivers less than 3 years in the Vette and 4 in the Silverado, truck went red top Vette under warranty
Old 10-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In short, No and No.

Batteries will leak if they are overcharged and indicates a problem with the charging system not the battery. Any battery that is overcharged is dangerous.

An Optima is a lead-acid battery. It uses more expensive materials than most other automotive batteries that reduce the amount of outgassing. It should longer than a regular battery (maybe 10 or 20% longer) but at twice the cost.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Thrill6
In short, No and No.

Batteries will leak if they are overcharged and indicates a problem with the charging system not the battery. Any battery that is overcharged is dangerous.

An Optima is a lead-acid battery. It uses more expensive materials than most other automotive batteries that reduce the amount of outgassing. It should longer than a regular battery (maybe 10 or 20% longer) but at twice the cost.
Lead acid may be the wrong term, but aren't optimas gel cells ?

Also, batteries can leak even if not overcharged. Most battery cases have a seam below the liquid line. That seam can fail regardless of charge state. Optimas do not have such a seam.

I agree on the excessive cost of an Optima and not sure if they are worth it.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:38 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by peter pan
In our daily drivers less than 3 years in the Vette and 4 in the Silverado, truck went red top Vette under warranty
Same here. The batteries on our 2008 Tahoe and 2008 Silverado both failed. Silverado in warranty, Tahoe, right after warranty expired. I replaced the Ho battery w/ an Interstate. It was pricey too.

However, I am not worried about the Ho, just my "babies", (Corvette & Camaro)
Old 10-01-2011, 02:39 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I generally buy Sam's or Wally World, seem to get about 7 yrs. w/ a decent battery.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:42 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by ben dover
I generally buy Sam's or Wally World, seem to get about 7 yrs. w/ a decent battery.
Agree. In the past, all I have bought is Wally batteries. If I were to do it over, I would buy a Wally battery for the Ho for about 60% of what I paid for the Interstate.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
In short, No and No.

No and no. There is a tendency here on the forum to favor the more expensive of any options given in a choice situation. I agree that the Optima may be made of more expensive materials or in a more expensive process, but from seeing friends who have them, I don't see a significant increase in lifespan. Remember that simply by manufacturing far fewer of them, the cost will be higher than batteries which are made by the millions.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by cclive
No and no. There is a tendency here on the forum to favor the more expensive of any options given in a choice situation. I agree that the Optima may be made of more expensive materials or in a more expensive process, but from seeing friends who have them, I don't see a significant increase in lifespan. Remember that simply by manufacturing far fewer of them, the cost will be higher than batteries which are made by the millions.
I agree on the price thing. Not sure if the Optima is worth it.

My primary motive for the Optima is that it is a gel cell and there is a much lower chance of acid leaks.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:11 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Lead acid may be the wrong term, but aren't optimas gel cells ?

Also, batteries can leak even if not overcharged. Most battery cases have a seam below the liquid line. That seam can fail regardless of charge state. Optimas do not have such a seam.

Answer to the Lead Vs Gel;

What is a Gel Cell Battery? Is OPTIMA a gel battery?

A gel battery design is typically a modification of the standard lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. Many gel batteries also use one way valves in place of open vents, which helps the normal internal gasses to recombine back into water in the battery, reducing gassing.

An OPTIMA battery is not a "gel" battery or regular flooded acid battery. An OPTIMA is a Spiralcell AGM battery.

Above copied from; http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

Personal experience; my '01 OEM battery leaked at the side posts at 3 yrs and honestly, I really doubt that it was every overcharged or even had an external charger attached to it. Fortunately I caught it just after it started to eat into the computer mounted below....replaced it with a Red Top. 5 years later when I relinquished ownership to a new family, the Red Top was still kicking as good as it did when new.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone want to agree/disagree to the statement that only 2 companies make batteries - Johnson Controls and Exide?

Only battery to leak for me was a Sears Diehard, many years ago.

I've wondered why Delco seems to have moved away from their side terminal battery use. Possibly because the sides terminals were in a position were a leak would be more troublesome, compaired to a top terminal?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The OEM Delco in our 2001 lasted about 5 yrs/55k miles, finally was killed off by an electrical malfunction that repeatedly drained it dead flat. Never leaked.

Each battery is a crap shoot.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by bolivar
Anyone want to agree/disagree to the statement that only 2 companies make batteries - Johnson Controls and Exide?

I've wondered why Delco seems to have moved away from their side terminal battery use. Possibly because the sides terminals were in a position were a leak would be more troublesome, compaired to a top terminal?
At one time, R O Gould made most of all battery labels. Labels such as; Sears, JC Penney's, name brand auto parts stores ect. I think I remember hearing R O was purchased, I believe it was JC's......and we are speaking of just lead acid type here?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by hisvett
Answer to the Lead Vs Gel;

What is a Gel Cell Battery? Is OPTIMA a gel battery?

A gel battery design is typically a modification of the standard lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. Many gel batteries also use one way valves in place of open vents, which helps the normal internal gasses to recombine back into water in the battery, reducing gassing.

An OPTIMA battery is not a "gel" battery or regular flooded acid battery. An OPTIMA is a Spiralcell AGM battery.

Above copied from; http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

Personal experience; my '01 OEM battery leaked at the side posts at 3 yrs and honestly, I really doubt that it was every overcharged or even had an external charger attached to it. Fortunately I caught it just after it started to eat into the computer mounted below....replaced it with a Red Top. 5 years later when I relinquished ownership to a new family, the Red Top was still kicking as good as it did when new.
Great info Hisvette Thanks!

Stories like the one on your C5 are what I remember ! That is why I replaced the OEM battery in my C5 with an Exide. And I beleive it was the same design as an Optima. Good to hear on the 5 y.o. red top.

Get notified of new replies

To Discussion: do Delco batteries leak & do Optimas live long time?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:07 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Each battery is a crap shoot.

That probably sums it up best
Old 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by bolivar

I have heard that Exide makes many of the different "brands" out there.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I've always used Delco in my vettes never had a problem.

IMO Optima's (especially Redtop) are Garbage. Every person I have known that has used one has had problems...you can't even let the car sit a week or 2 without having to put it on a tender. Not acceptable.

When my Delco on my C5 finally went (it last 6 years) I switched to an Excide Orbital and that was still gonig strong after 3 years when I sold the car.

Stay away from optimas they are not worth it.

Quick Reply: Discussion: do Delco batteries leak & do Optimas live long time?