C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ready for the track Friday

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ready for the track Friday

I installed my cage and belts yesterday and I am ready for the track Friday.

Saturday at the C&C meet I ran into Mike from Richeys collision again and I took a picture of his custom made front end. Seval people asked for a picture so here it is. He took the factory C6 bumper and opened it up to almost twice the size of the factory one. He says his super charged 600+ RWHP car never runs over 190* now.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Good luck at the track
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good on you for running at the track....have fun!

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but just be aware some organizations may not allow you to use the harness setup the way you have it with the stock seat (with the shoulder straps draped around the sides). I was racing this past weekend and a friend of mine was just starting with NASA. He has a harness bar, a harness restraint and stock C5 seats. The shoulder straps did not pass-through the seatback so they made him remove the harness restraint and use the OEM seatbelt. FYI you can run the shoulder straps through the stock seatback if you want (at the 'seam' in the seatback). I did this for a while before going to a Sparco racing seat. It's not ideal but it works. If you have any interest PM me. I'd be happy to send you some photos and tell you what I did.

Every organization is different but it's always a good idea to check the rules before you make modifications or before you get to the track. Most organizations have specific specs for roll bars which generally come into play in the more advanced levels or run groups. Specs for the tubing, continuous construction, attachment points, welds, Mandrel bends, padding, etc. It's always good to check the rules in advance to make sure everything you do is in compliance for the class you run in (or the more advanced levels you'll progress to). You don't want find out you have a problem when you get to the track or endup having to redo something.

It's just a 'heads-up'....the issue with the harness restraint and the stock seat was fresh in my mind after seeing the inspectors ding my friend's car (for the same setup) this past weekend. I assume you still have your OEM seatbelt just in case. Have a blast and stay safe!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Good on you for running at the track....have fun!

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but just be aware some organizations may not allow you to use the harness setup the way you have it with the stock seat (with the shoulder straps draped around the sides). I was racing this past weekend and a friend of mine was just starting with NASA. He has a harness bar, a harness restraint and stock C5 seats. The shoulder straps did not pass-through the seatback so they made him remove the harness restraint and use the OEM seatbelt. FYI you can run the shoulder straps through the stock seatback if you want (at the 'seam' in the seatback). I did this for a while before going to a Sparco racing seat. It's not ideal but it works. If you have any interest PM me. I'd be happy to send you some photos and tell you what I did.

Every organization is different but it's always a good idea to check the rules before you make modifications or before you get to the track. Most organizations have specific specs for roll bars which generally come into play in the more advanced levels or run groups. Specs for the tubing, continuous construction, attachment points, welds, Mandrel bends, padding, etc. It's always good to check the rules in advance to make sure everything you do is in compliance for the class you run in (or the more advanced levels you'll progress to). You don't want find out you have a problem when you get to the track or endup having to redo something.

It's just a 'heads-up'....the issue with the harness restraint and the stock seat was fresh in my mind after seeing the inspectors ding my friend's car (for the same setup) this past weekend. I assume you still have your OEM seatbelt just in case. Have a blast and stay safe!
I want to modify the factory seat so the belts go through it but I am scared to death of cutting on the seat. I have seen pictures of it done on the site with plastic inserts but I do not know how they did it or where they got the inserts. I am also curious about what will happen if the side seat airbag ever deploys because my side bar crosses that area of the seat. I want to keep my factory seats because they are nice, they have heat, memory, etc. I also do not have the Sub strap installed because it has to come up through the seat.

I will get to all these mods as I find solutions but it takes time. In the last two months I changed the engine, trans, rear diff, installed cut outs, Pfad engine and trans mounts, etc. I am starting to think I would have been better off just building a car from scratch instead of converting over my car that only has 8000 miles on it. Cutting the carpet for the cage was hard on my heart. I told myself if I screw up I will just buy new carpet. The corvette logo on the driver sill got scratched when I removed the seat and I broke two of those plastic pieces that cover the bolts on the front of your seat.

How do you remove and replace the corvette logo on the door sills?

Get notified of new replies

To ready for the track Friday

Quick Reply: ready for the track Friday