C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Smell Results (Back from Dealer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Dennis08
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Gas Smell Results (Back from Dealer)

I took the car to the dealer. Long story. Service Writer said the total cost would be $2400.00 to replace the tank, sending unit, cross over pipe, with labor ($1300.00 parts, $1100.00 labor). A pressure test showed a leak. Service Writer said tank was not covered by warranty. (B2B warranty was over by 19 days, I smelled gas few days after warranty ended but didn't take it to the dealer until later, b/c I thought maybe a bad cap or gas spillage that had run down the vent hole. Bought a new gas cap, washed the vent hole with Dawn).

Service Writer said he called GM and GM would not cover costs because the warranty had expired. I (nicely) asked the Service Writer how a gas tank could go bad since it was hidden away under the car and protected by metal. I told the Service Writer the car is not a DD, and has 32,000 miles, and is a safety issue. I questioned if the tank might be defective. Service Writer didn't seem to care, telling me I had to pay full amount. I left dazed and confused to say the least.

I contacted Laura of GM Customer Service (She is nothing but AWESOME) and explained the problem. The next day I was contacted by a District Rep, he told me GM would pay for the parts if I pay for the labor. He said they would not pay the labor b/c the warranty had expired. I explained the reasons, given above as to why GM should pay for labor or half. Rep, said he would see what he could do and get back with me in a couple of days. Meanwhile, I get a call from the Service Writer. Service Writer tells me GM will pay for the parts and I have to pay for the labor (Service Writer told me two days ago he called GM and GM wouldn't pay for anything). I tell the Service Writer I would check back with him in a couple of days with my answer. I didn't tell him about talking with the GM Rep.

Before the District Rep. could call me with his answer on covering the labor, I think about the offer GM made by covering parts, It would save me $200.00 to let the dealer fix the car (parts $1300.00). With me doing the job, and buying the parts I would be $1300.00 out of pocket instead of $1100.00 (Dealer Labor cost). And with the dealer doing the repair, it will be warranted for a year if the tank leaks again.

So, I stop by the dealer on my way to work and here is where it gets crazy. Service Writer tells me the parts are $1100.00 and the labor is $1300.00 (complete switch of pricing), and GM will not pay for the crossover pipe ($82.00 plus tax). Service Writer tells me I would have to pay for the crossover pipe out of my pocket. I tell him (nicely) he told me the opposite on pricing last week. Service Writer said he didn't, and there is tax on the labor that has to be added in. Service Writer tells me he would take care of the crossover pipe by putting it somewhere in the labor, WHAT????

I tell him the GM Rep. said they would pay for all the parts, that I had been talking with the Rep and I will call him. I give the Service Writer the number for the Rep. you would have thought I handed him a Rubik's Cube from his expression, he says don't call him, then says you can call. Service Writer then tells me he has to talk with the manager and disappears. Service Writer comes out telling me that's the price and that the labor is $130.00 an hour on Corvettes. I ask what the labor is on normal cars, he says $105.00 an hour.

I leave thinking about what I was told by the Service Writer. I called the Service Writer leaving a message (nice tone) on his phone telling him he quoted me the opposite pricing for labor and parts last week and that GM said they would pay for ALL parts required. I tell him my car is no different than a Camero when it comes to the layout of the car, Motor in front drive train in rear, and why would I have to pay $25.00 more on the hour to repair it. (all said nicely).

I then call the District Rep. He tells me again GM will pay for all the parts needed to fix the car and that the Service Writer is wrong. I ask if he knows about the pricing on labor. I explain the labor charge. He said he would call the dealer.

I get a call from the Service Writer the next day. He tells me GM will pay for all the parts, crossover pipe included and the labor will be $105.00 an hours instead of $130.00. I thanked him, telling him I appreciate his help, he wasn't friendly at all.

Next day, I meet with the mechanic, he tells me I don't need a crossover pipe, didn't need a fuel pump or sending unit, just tank and hose returns. Mechanic recommends I talk with the Service Manager and calls him over. Service Manager said he heard from the GM Rep. and confronted the Service Writer about the pricing. Service Manager said parts were covered and labor is $105.00 not $130.00 and they would waive the $30.00 service fee (I guess misc. products used while replacing the tank). Service Manager was very nice and took care of the problem. But I wonder what would have happened if I wasn't talking with GM Rep. and the mechanic?

There was no way I could get GM to cover the labor under any type of warranty, Emissions or otherwise. My tank had a faint separation in the caulking on top where the fuel pump goes in the tank. Otherwise, the
car runs great and with no gas smell.

Thanks to all who sent me private messages on how the repair was going and tips on getting it repaired under warranty. Emissions warranty would have worked if it had California emissions.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Never ever use that service writer again he was trying to knockdown he gets a commission on sale of work.
z51vett
Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Drelucas
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have pushed for the new fuel pump and sending unit since GM was going to pay for it and the tank is being removed. Should be no difference in labor price either way.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
OnyxC6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would speak to the service manager about the service writer... That kinda stuff shouldn't go undocumented. Hopefully he'll be gone because of his actions..
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well glad all is fixed. Shame we have a GM rep telling us the tank is covered under emmissions warranty and dealer says it is not.

Now go for a nice drive and forget about all the bs.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the kudos! I’m sorry that there were some complications but am glad to hear that everything’s been taken care of for you. Happy driving!

Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

What a mess. GM's book rate for that labor is $1100 flat rate because of all the crap they have to move out of the way to get to the tanks (ask me how I know). It's a shame they tried to screw you around on the pricing. I also like how they said they needed to tax the labor (the only thing they are allowed to tax are parts themselves). I don't think I would ever go back to that service department.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Cromagnum
What a mess. GM's book rate for that labor is $1100 flat rate because of all the crap they have to move out of the way to get to the tanks (ask me how I know). It's a shame they tried to screw you around on the pricing. I also like how they said they needed to tax the labor (the only thing they are allowed to tax are parts themselves). I don't think I would ever go back to that service department.
Tax on labor when parts are included, in Florida, No parts, no tax
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

GM Rep took care of you

I like this company
Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the problems here is that the service writer apparently was NOT acting entirely on his own. I'd be suspicious of this service department management and dealership. I hope there are competitors you can go to for warranty service after this -- although the good mechanical work is a reason to stay with them, of course.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I thought tax on labor depends on local regulations. In any event, things like a service writer quoting all kinds of crazy prices don't happen in a vacuum--I agree w. Aviben and Z51 Vett---Doug. I wouldn't go back to this service dept. until someone in a place of knowledge tells you the mess has been cleaned up....or the people cleared out.

I'm also hoping that Chevy is making a note of this accounting of the conversations. It is, imo, noteworthy.

To me, maybe someone can explain why "emissions" doesn't cover the gas tank and all its related, immediately-connected parts. The gas tank cap is special (changed many years ago to not allow gas fumes to escape into the environment). If the gas tank is leaking, obviously, gas fumes are getting out into the environment. Now, if it's "just" a broken fuel pump or bad fuel filter, that's a different story.

Someone have a comprehensible explanation of this one? Thanks, and I'm glad OP's car is up and running despite the delaying process and what it took to get the work done.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Smell Results (Back from Dealer)

Quick Reply: Gas Smell Results (Back from Dealer)