C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR Fans please step in.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Default NASCAR Fans please step in.

As I am sure you can figure out Rick Hendrick Atlanta is part of the Rick Hendrick Auto Group and is owned by Rick Hendrick. With our obvious affiliation with Rick Hendrick Motor Sports you can expect to see from time to time some updates from NASCAR and the Rick Hendrick team of drivers. Keep an eye out for some very exciting things to come for forum members that enjoy NASCAR.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
vettdreamer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds exciting I just hope it can involve Canadian fans, Maybe you can put some infuence in that area I would sure like to win a sunoco checkerd flag but none of the contests are open to Canadians, but I am still interested to see what you got coming

Ron
Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 AM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

I hope a Kyle Busch fan can participate.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Originally Posted by Texas08C6
Sure you can, we are NASCAR fans and all forum members can take part in any promotions we run regardless of their drivers
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Originally Posted by vettdreamer
That sounds exciting I just hope it can involve Canadian fans, Maybe you can put some infuence in that area I would sure like to win a sunoco checkerd flag but none of the contests are open to Canadians, but I am still interested to see what you got coming

Ron
Canadian fans are always welcome. Just wish I could sell you a Corvette.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 AM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

88 fan here.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

You better hide under that chair.....Boo! Boo!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Originally Posted by FloridaGrandSport
88 fan here.
Some very interesting reading about #88

Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a third-generation driver in a family forever connected to the sport of stock-car racing, and while his innate ability behind the wheel comes from Earnhardt DNA, his competitive driving style and keen business sense are all his own. His flair for originality and common-sense charisma have helped propel him to become one of the most popular figures in sports. Race fans have selected him eight consecutive times as the winner of NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver award, and he joins Bill Elliott as the only drivers to win it eight consecutive seasons since 1956. Earnhardt’s appeal is not limited to NASCAR’s loyal race fans, as he has appeared annually since 2004 on Harris Interactive’s annual survey of America’s Top 10 Favorite Athletes, frequenting the list with such names as Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter.

The 2011 season marks Earnhardt’s 12th in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competition. Through 2010, the native of Kannapolis, N.C., has amassed 18 career victories, including the 2004 Daytona 500. His 18 victories tie him for 38th on NASCAR’s all-time race winners list. He also has six non-points wins (three in the Gatorade Duel, two in the Budweiser Shootout and one all-star victory) and nine pole positions.

Earnhardt is the only third-generation NASCAR champion, achieved when he won the 1998 and 1999 Nationwide Series titles. He follows his legendary father Dale Earnhardt Sr., a seven-time Cup champion and winner of 76 races, and his grandfather Ralph Earnhardt, the 1956 NASCAR Sportsman champion. In October 2009, Earnhardt Sr. was selected as a posthumous inductee in the inaugural 2010 class for the NASCAR Hall of Fame. In 2007, Ralph Earnhardt was inducted posthumously into the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame. Both his father and grandfather were selected among NASCAR’s 50 Greatest Drivers of all time in 1999. The three Earnhardts combine for 10 NASCAR championships.

Until 2008, Earnhardt Jr.’s career as a full-time driver was solely within the confines of the family-owned business, Dale Earnhardt Inc., where he accumulated 39 victories in the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series from 1998-2007. But the 2008 season marked one of significant change, as Earnhardt made the boldest decision of his young career by signing with renowned team owner Rick Hendrick to drive the No. 88 Chevrolet for Hendrick Motorsports. High-powered sponsorship deals soon followed, as Pepsi-Cola’s AMP Energy brand and the Army National Guard agreed to a co-primary sponsorship with Hendrick Motorsports to partner with Earnhardt and the No. 88 team.

With a successful driving career in motion, Earnhardt’s role as team owner and businessman has enjoyed its own ascent. In 2002, JR Motorsports consisted of only six employees and a street-stock Camaro raced at local short tracks. Today the organization employs more than 100 people and encompasses a full stable of cars that competes in the Nationwide Series and local weekly late model divisions. In July 2007, Earnhardt announced a partnership deal with Hendrick Motorsports—under the JRM banner with Hendrick Motorsports engines, chassis and vehicle engineering support—to field two Nationwide Series race teams. JR Motorsports earned four victories in 2008, four more in 2009 and one in 2010 to establish itself as one of the top contending organizations in the Nationwide Series. Earnhardt’s company continued making headlines in December 2009 by signing open-wheel racer Danica Patrick to a two-year driving deal with primary partner GoDaddy.com. The move grouped two of racing’s most popular athletes under one roof.

Earnhardt’s first turn at ownership began with Chance 2, a team started in 2002 and jointly operated with Dale Earnhardt Inc. With that team, Earnhardt was co-owner of the 2004 and 2005 Nationwide Series championship teams with driver Martin Truex Jr.

Fans and media selected Earnhardt as one of the top-three Nationwide Series drivers of all-time in a 2006 NASCAR poll. Earnhardt’s 23 victories rank ninth on the all-time Nationwide Series wins list. His two championships in 1998 and 1999 introduced him to the NASCAR history books, and his accomplishments throughout the ensuing decade reinforced his place in them. On July 2, 2010, Earnhardt scored a popular victory at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway in a throwback blue-and-yellow No. 3 Chevrolet made famous by his father in the mid-1980s. It was Earnhardt’s sixth Nationwide Series victory at Daytona—the most among active drivers and just one behind overall leader Earnhardt Sr. It was his 13th victory in all NASCAR-sanctioned events at Daytona, and it brought the family win total at the historic 2.5-mile superspeedway to 47.

With crossover appeal unmatched by any other athlete, Earnhardt Jr. continues to garner media attention worldwide. He has appeared on more than 150 magazine covers and has been featured in high-profile publications such as Maxim, Rolling Stone, GQ, Men’s Journal, Sports Illustrated, People magazine and TV Guide.

In 2009, Earnhardt appeared on country music’s biggest stage as a presenter at the 43rd annual CMA Country Music Awards. The live telecast on ABC was watched by 35.8 million viewers according to Nielsen Media Research. It marked Earnhardt’s first appearance at a major pop-culture awards show since he was a presenter at the 2002 MTV Music Awards. He has been a guest on “60 Minutes,” “The Late Show with David Letterman,” “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” “The Today Show,” “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” “The Jimmy Kimmel Show,” “Good Morning America,” “Live with Regis and Kelly” and “Larry King Live.” He has played cameo roles in major motion pictures “Talladega Nights” and “Cars” and was the subject of an episode of MTV’s “Diary” and VH1’s “Driven.” In 2004, he played a cameo role on the CBS sitcom “Yes Dear.” In 2010, he was featured in an episode of “Shaq Vs.” – ABC’s Fall primetime reality show in which NBA superstar Shaquille O’Neal went one-on-one against America’s top athletes and entertainers in their respective professions.

Earnhardt’s eclectic taste in music is reflected in the diverse list of artists that have featured him in their music videos, including Jay-Z, Staind, Sheryl Crow, Three Doors Down, Trace Adkins, O.A.R., the Matthew Good Band and Nickelback. Earnhardt became a best-selling author in 2001 with “Driver 8,” a documentation of his rookie season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. The book landed on the New York Times best-seller list for 17 weeks, and online retailer Amazon.com named “Driver 8” the top-selling sports book of the year.

In July 2010, Harris Poll rated Earnhardt 10th in its “America’s Favorite Sport’s Star” rankings. In its October 2008 issue, BusinessWeek magazine named Earnhardt to its top 100 most influential people in sports, ranking him 38th overall. The Charlotte (N.C.) Observer listed him among the top-10 most powerful people in NASCAR in 2007. In recent polls and surveys, he received a top-five “Q” rating among all athletes and rated among the top-five athletes in corporate endorsements by Forbes magazine.

Earnhardt’s business savvy extends beyond the track. In 2006, he started Hammerhead Entertainment, a one-stop-shop production company that has produced shows for multiple national television networks, including “Back in the Day” on SPEED Channel, and “Dale Jr. – Shifting Gears” on ESPN. “Shifting Gears” was a five-part documentary in 2008 that chronicled Earnhardt’s move to Hendrick Motorsports and gave unique insight into the chaotic world of “Little E.” In April 2008, Earnhardt extended his entrepreneurship into the Charlotte, N.C., entertainment scene, as he opened Whisky River, an uptown bar and nightclub located in the EpiCentre. In April 2010, Whisky River expanded to a second location in Jacksonville, Fla.

While the obligations of being a driver and team owner occupy much of his time, Earnhardt is active in charities and non-profit organizations. In 2007, he launched The Dale Jr. Foundation, a charity dedicated to giving underprivileged individuals, with a focus on youth, the resources to improve their confidence and education. Through 2009, The Dale Jr. Foundation has contributed to more than 700 local and national organizations. He also is involved with the Make-A-Wish Foundation. In May 2010, Make-A-Wish recognized Earnhardt as one of only a handful of athletes who has facilitated more than 200 “wishes” for kids battling terminal or life-threatening illnesses. The occasion was documented by ESPN SportsCenter’s “My Wish” series, in which Earnhardt invited 16-year-old Jeffrey Buzzell to race go-karts at his home in Mooresville, N.C., and join the No. 88 crew during the 2010 Sprint All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Earnhardt’s hobbies include hanging out at home, listening to music, computer gaming and continuously quenching his thirst for NASCAR history. He has a small golf course, three go-kart tracks and a vintage Western-style town on his property near Mooresville, N.C.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by talon90
You better hide under that chair.....Boo! Boo!

Paul, I love Jr. too. I sort of got KB on default because I cannot pass up a good bag of M&Ms. I stayed with the sponsor rather than the driver. What can I say? You wouldn't believe some of the crap I get at Texas. Actually had a guy smack me in the head one race as he went by my seat. Some people just can't stand controversy! I think that's what keeps it interesting.

Go Jr.!!! Better now?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Paul, I love Jr. too. I sort of got KB on default because I cannot pass up a good bag of M&Ms. I stayed with the sponsor rather than the driver. What can I say? You wouldn't believe some of the crap I get at Texas. Actually had a guy smack me in the head one race as he went by my seat. Some people just can't stand controversy! I think that's what keeps it interesting.

Go Jr.!!! Better now?
Only because it's you. I love M&M's but I despise Kyle Bush. Too cocky for me. I'm in the anybody but Kyle camp on any given race day.

As to the guy smacking you in the head, I wish I had been there to witness that because even over Kyle, that's over the line and I certainly would have done something.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Originally Posted by JSB LS3

Jeff's bio.

Four-time Sprint Cup Series champion Jeff Gordon ended the 2010 season with 11 top-five finishes, 17 top-10s, led 919 laps and earned one pole position. He extended his streak to 18 consecutive seasons with a pole and 18 straight years of scoring 11 or more top-10s – both are the longest current streaks among active drivers.

As the 2011 season has unfolded, Gordon has improved his position on two all-time lists: wins and pole positions. Gordon ranks fourth in all-time career wins (84) and third in all-time career poles (69). This season, Gordon is sporting a different look on his No. 24 Chevrolet after bringing AARP’s Drive to End Hunger initiative on board for three years starting in 2011.

Gordon caught the racing bug when he was 5 years old, eventually winning the 1979 and 1981 Quarter Midget national championships and following that up with championships in the 1990 USAC Midget division and in the 1991 USAC Silver Crown division. In 1991, Gordon caught the attention of team owner Rick Hendrick during the March Nationwide race at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Hendrick signed the youngster to come on board to drive the No. 24 DuPont Chevrolet in 1992.

Gordon’s first start in the Cup Series in November 1992 signaled the changing of an era as it was Richard Petty’s final NASCAR event. In his first full-time Cup season in 1993, Gordon became the first driver to ever win rookie of the year honors in NASCAR’s top two series (Nationwide Series 1991) and became the first rookie in 30 years to win a qualifying race at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway. In 1994, Gordon continued to check off milestones by posting his first career win in May at Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway and capturing the inaugural Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Gordon became the youngest champion in NASCAR’s modern era in only his third full season. Gordon also took home the championship trophy in the 1997, 1998 and 2001 seasons. During those years, Gordon’s notable statistics included becoming the youngest driver to ever win the Daytona 500 in 1997, earning 13 wins in the 1998 season – tied the modern-era records with 13 wins and four wins in a row - became the youngest driver in history to achieve 50 wins in 2000 and recorded sixth straight wins at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International.

Gordon’s championship in 2001 made him only the third driver to win more than three championships. In 2004, Gordon became the only stock car driver to win at Indianapolis four times and became only the fourth driver in motor sports history to win at the racetrack. 2007 was a season that created milestones for Gordon; he finished with 30 top-10s – a single season record for the most top-10s in the modern era – set an all-time record for most career restrictor plates wins (12) and moved to sixth all-time in wins (81) and fourth all-time in career poles (63). The closing of the 2010 season brought changes for Gordon, who will now team up with crew chief Alan Gustafson and have a new sponsor.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to run with Jr in FLM Trucks, tell him there's nothing wrong with a triple digit number on a truck, he'll know what yer talking about
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Originally Posted by JLB768
I used to run with Jr in FLM Trucks, tell him there's nothing wrong with a triple digit number on a truck, he'll know what yer talking about
Sounds like a great story there somewhere.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB LS3

No we are talking a chamipon vs the prenter jr
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick HendrickAtlanta
Sounds like a great story there somewhere.
Just an online racing thing from a few years back
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Rick HendrickAtlanta
Canadian fans are always welcome. Just wish I could sell you a Corvette.
You did. Well,we bought a Z from the Cary,N.C. dealership last fall.

I wish our area was more NASCAR oriented. Especially media wise. Amazing how much news gets published daily/weekly in the south east.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Cherokeedoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Rick !!!!!!
A faithful follower of NASCAR here, Would love to see your car-aircraft collection someday
Good luck in the Chase !!!!!!!!!!!!
Harry

Get notified of new replies

To NASCAR Fans please step in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NASCAR Fans please step in.