C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Installing C6 Nav Radio into Non NAV C6

Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Blown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing C6 Nav Radio into Non NAV C6

Posted this in audio too but that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic......hoping you guys can help.

Hey wife and I just picked up a 2011 Arctic White Grand Sport and it has the standard radio with no Nav. We are considering installing an aftermarket stereo but wondering if it would be much simpler to buy a GM C6 NAV radio and install that?

Has anyone done this and what would we run into for issues? The car has steering wheel radio controls etc.....I'd want everything to still work.

Any advice?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I know it can be done. Forum parts dealer GM Parts House sells the kit.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rts-house.html

Scroll down the list and you will find it.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

My dealer wanted 3000 dollars for the OEM NAV unit to put in my 3lt 2009 coupe. Instead I went with the Pioneer AVIC Z130 and a rear camera which isn't offered on the stock NAV. Since I've owned a 2005 with the factory nav, the Pioneer does everything that the stock nav does, plus a whole lot more. Doesn't interface with the HUD though, and I don't miss it one bit. I have IPOD, AHA and Pandora, plus bluetooth for phone and music streaming from the smart phone and a darn nice navigation system. All for under 2500 installed. This was a no brainer choice for me, good luck(The high end Kenwood is also nice)eddie
Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

As they've said, it can be done. Occasionally one shows up for sale on the forum for around $700 or so, although I have not seen one in a while as I'd like to put one in my car also.

I've had two C6's with factory nav. While they are not the easiest nav to use, I do like the way they interface with the HUD. The only people who don't think that is worth it are people who have never had it. Its seriously nice to have a turn come up on the HUD - especially for folks like me who dislike having the nav lady talk to me constantly while in guidance mode.

The flip side is that the aftermarket has a lot more features available for less money and that is how I'll probably wind up going. I'll get HD radio and one with a SIM card that can handle several hundred songs on a single car (probably thousands on SIM cards). Also, some of the aftermarket units you can download your contacts in if you want to use the bluetooth on it rather than the factory bluetooth.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

If the car has Bose it should be plug and play with factory nav. I've had the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT and my opinion is the factory unit has way to many benefits over that unit if for no other reason the HUD connection. I have HUD in 2 vehicles and I find myself looking in the windshield for speed, radio station or nav turns in the vehicles that don't have it. I'm not convinced by the guys that say that say they don't miss it. Once you have it and get used to it it's hard not to want it again.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Blown
Racer

I don't think the car has BOSE on it but how would I know for sure....is it on the speakers or the head unit anywhere?

It's a 1LT GS.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown
I don't think the car has BOSE on it but how would I know for sure....is it on the speakers or the head unit anywhere?

It's a 1LT GS.
I'm pretty sure it does not have it if it's a 1LT. But look at the door speakers for the Bose name.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save yourself the headache and buy an aftermarket unit. I didn't want the nav system on mine because all manufacturers charge twice the amount for a unit that 1/2 as good as the aftermarket ones.
I went with a Kenwood unit and it works flawlessly. I don't need it to show up on HUD because I can still move my head and it takes all of 0.0005 seconds to glance at the screen. Also iPod interface is built in without an extra lock pick fee.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Blown
Racer

No BOSE.....so looks like aftermarket for me?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Xedes
I don't need it to show up on HUD because I can still move my head and it takes all of 0.0005 seconds to glance at the screen.
Yeah but you have to do that everytime you're flipping channels.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,024 Posts

If you are going to have a new unit installed anyway. Get the pioneer or kenwood and upgrade the amps and speakers too. The factory stereo is substandard in features and sound especially for a $60,000 + car. I had the opportunity to hear a fellow forum members upgraded system and it blows away the factory system plus it had the rear view camera, the navigation and user interface was awesome
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

Very happy with the Kenwood DNX6180 and I had zero factory NAV.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyeddie
My dealer wanted 3000 dollars for the OEM NAV unit to put in my 3lt 2009 coupe. Instead I went with the Pioneer AVIC Z130 and a rear camera which isn't offered on the stock NAV. Since I've owned a 2005 with the factory nav, the Pioneer does everything that the stock nav does, plus a whole lot more. Doesn't interface with the HUD though, and I don't miss it one bit. I have IPOD, AHA and Pandora, plus bluetooth for phone and music streaming from the smart phone and a darn nice navigation system. All for under 2500 installed. This was a no brainer choice for me, good luck(The high end Kenwood is also nice)eddie
Hey Eddie, I recently bought a 09 C6 coupe and it has a pioneer
navigation radio and the steering wheel radio controls work.
This must be after market correct?
There is no model number on the face/screen, but it works great!
There is a cord in the glove box with a USB? (computer plug) on it.
Would this be for an ipod?
The radio has no blue tooth or voice activation.
thanks ....jerry
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Triumph Jerry
Hey Eddie, I recently bought a 09 C6 coupe and it has a pioneer
navigation radio and the steering wheel radio controls work.
This must be after market correct?
There is no model number on the face/screen, but it works great!
There is a cord in the glove box with a USB? (computer plug) on it.
Would this be for an ipod?
The radio has no blue tooth or voice activation.
thanks ....jerry
The cord is for i-pod/phone and the Pioneer unit does have bluetooth with voice activation capabilities.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM
viper62
Instructor

This is what I did on my 08 and a friends 09. I had the radio on the HUD for the first 6 months but never used it as I prefer the track modess on the display. This does not show the radio information.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Yeah but you have to do that everytime you're flipping channels.
My iPod is played 85% of the time but I do occasionally need to look at the radio stations......I guess I like living dangerously.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Jram116
Advanced

Been trying to decide myself on which way to go as well. I have narrowed it down to the Kenwood 9980HD or the Factory Nav.
The prices are very close Kenwood -- $1549 minus $300 rebate ($1249) or Factory Nav. #19244293 - $1599 (2010 Corvette). Spoke to both Gene and Dennis (c5 BearsFan) both state install is fairly easy. If you have any questions, they will answer them. If I understand correctly non-bose will cause you a problem with the OEM Nav. I will probably wait till spring to order from Dennis, but I have been known to change my mind. GL on whichever way you go.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing C6 Nav Radio into Non NAV C6

Old 03-10-2017, 01:58 PM
My2000C5
5th Gear

Default Nav radio

So if I buy a stock 05 C6 nav radio and put it in my stock 05 C6 would it be turn key ready? I just want to swap out the stock non nav with a nav radio. TIA

QUOTE=crazyeddie;1578976885]My dealer wanted 3000 dollars for the OEM NAV unit to put in my 3lt 2009 coupe. Instead I went with the Pioneer AVIC Z130 and a rear camera which isn't offered on the stock NAV. Since I've owned a 2005 with the factory nav, the Pioneer does everything that the stock nav does, plus a whole lot more. Doesn't interface with the HUD though, and I don't miss it one bit. I have IPOD, AHA and Pandora, plus bluetooth for phone and music streaming from the smart phone and a darn nice navigation system. All for under 2500 installed. This was a no brainer choice for me, good luck(The high end Kenwood is also nice)eddie[/QUOTE]
Old 03-10-2017, 02:19 PM
TheBlueDemon
1st Gear

Default Radio

I found a stock 2006 C6 nav radio, I want to put it in my stock 2005 C6 mine doesn't have nav radio can I just swap them out will it work ?

Old 03-10-2017, 06:16 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown
Posted this in audio too but that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic......hoping you guys can help.

Hey wife and I just picked up a 2011 Arctic White Grand Sport and it has the standard radio with no Nav. We are considering installing an aftermarket stereo but wondering if it would be much simpler to buy a GM C6 NAV radio and install that?

Has anyone done this and what would we run into for issues? The car has steering wheel radio controls etc.....I'd want everything to still work.

Any advice?
My advice is go aftermarket. The factory nav works but it's old tech. A new head unit will have a better, more intuitive interface, better maps, etc.

You can buy one from Double D Mods, a forum vendor, and he will pre-wire it so your install is plug and play with no wire splicing. His prices are reasonable and he is awesome when you need help.
The following users liked this post:
TheBlueDemon (03-10-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing C6 Nav Radio into Non NAV C6