C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with the OIL SMELL ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Mlo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of oil is everyone useing?

I used royal purple this time, and my brother had to quit useing royal purple in his T/A because he was buring it like crazy! He switched to AMS and hasn't had a problem since.

I figured I'd try that next and see if their was any improvment.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

I think the dealer uses Mobil 1. I would think that an overfill would leave tracks. No one's been able to see a leak or spill anywhere. I last heard from the dealer Friday last week when they said they would be conferring with GM engineers. Hopefully, I'll hear something today or tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're old enough to remember what 'blow by' smells like from the days before PCV valves, I'll bet that's what you're smelling.

I've had just one dealer oil change and that's what it smelled like after the change. It puzzled me until I discovered that they had overfilled the crankcase by about 1/2 quart. Once I corrected the overfill the smell went away immediately.

Check your oil level with the engine stone cold. Double check it to be sure that you aren't dragging oil onto the stick from the dip tube. If it is the least bit over full, it'll smell.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:59 PM
CO GEEZER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carnut08
If you're old enough to remember what 'blow by' smells like from the days before PCV valves, I'll bet that's what you're smelling.

I've had just one dealer oil change and that's what it smelled like after the change. It puzzled me until I discovered that they had overfilled the crankcase by about 1/2 quart. Once I corrected the overfill the smell went away immediately.

Check your oil level with the engine stone cold. Double check it to be sure that you aren't dragging oil onto the stick from the dip tube. If it is the least bit over full, it'll smell.
I too have the same oil blowby smell problelm with my 2011 GS Convertible. Showed up just after the first oil change. Dealer and I looked everywhere for a leak and tightening oil filter because it did show a little seepage. Filter is now dry and everything cleaned but the smell persists when I come to a stop and there is no apparent leakage reoccurance around the filter.

I just checked the oil level and it does show about 1/8" overfill on the dipstick after sitting for a week or so. Maybe overfill is the problem as suggested here. I'm also wondering if it is something unique to the 6M convertibles or automatics that do not have the drysump systems. The only other possibility may be the thread I have seen on a oil leak problem that seems to be showing up on LT7 engines where the cam cover bolts are either missing or loose on the front or side of the engine. I'll drain a cup or oil from my crank case next time I get a chance and see if that solves the problem.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Mlo, Carnut & Geezer--

I just forwarded your messages to the dealer. Let's keep our fingers crossed and I'll let you know what they say.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a no brainer. The dealer has overfilled your cars. I always ck my dipstick as soon as my tech ( never dealer for oil change) does my oil change.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

I removed oil from my crankcase and after 1000 miles it still smells. I have cleaned pipes, oil pan, valve covers, and everything I can reach with no relief. Very unacceptable.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
rich d
Intermediate

Default oil smell

Originally Posted by lennieorr
I removed oil from my crankcase and after 1000 miles it still smells. I have cleaned pipes, oil pan, valve covers, and everything I can reach with no relief. Very unacceptable.
is you're car a auto or manual i was told the o ring on the dip stick
came off i had a auto 2010 gs same issue never went away
all after the first oil change still a mystery still smells
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Rebloss
Cruising

I bought a new GS in July 2010. Long before I did the first oil change I had the same smell, very strong when stopped at a light with fresh air on.

Went to the dealer, inspected it with them, found nothing. Personally I think it is the hot exhaust running down the length of the undertray boiling out something in the composite body parts. I have about 18,000 miles on mine now (it's a daily driver commuting in Houston) and that smell has mostly gone away.

This is my first new Corvette, my previous C5 was used so someone else had this pleasure. However, I still wouldn't trade the experience away.

Last edited by Rebloss; 10-27-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Update regarding my burning oil smell: Today, the dealer drained the oil from my car, changed the oil filter, changed the filler cap and dipstick. They replaced the oil precisely according to spec. The result: BURNING OIL SMELL. The overfill theory sure sounded good! I don't know what's going on, nor does the dealer. Monday, they'll go back to the engineers to see what's next.

Last edited by John T.; 10-29-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Default Burning oil smell - update

The dealer told me today that they conclude that a burning oil smell is "characteristic" of new vintage Corvettes. I never saw anything like that in any of the brochures! That's BALONEY.

The dealer has been unable to find the source of my problem. They sought help from GM engineers. For my burning oil smell, the engineers recommended trying some sort of GM deodorizing spray that I can mix with carpet cleaner or spray directly on the carpet, etc. They also said that fiberglass and plastic can emit odor. Non-responsive and irrelevant! The dealer wanted to return my car to me and close out the work order.

I refused to take my car back and demanded that the dealer and engineers get serious and SOLVE THE PROBLEM QUICKLY. I plan to confer with an attorney.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Mlo
Advanced

Does anyone know if the GTO's or G8's have the same problem?

If not is their any mechanical differences?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

While I totally agree that the smell drives me nuts I agree with another member about oil on the pipes. I change my own oil and I swore I didn't spill any, I placed rags around the oil fill and was careful. After I changed the oil I had the dreaded oil smell, I personally ripped stuff apart under the hood and as perfect as I was I found the top of the header under the oil fill had oil on it. I could barely touch it with one finger, couldn't see it but I drove the car over 1500 miles and the smell never went away, well after I took my time and cleaned off the top of the header the smell was gone. I think it's possible but not sure that where the tube that goes into the valve cover may have slight seepage when putting oil through it. I have driven another 2000 miles since the cleaning and I have no more smell.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Thanks Eppieguy. What you've shared here makes sense and I've forwarded your message to the dealer. I can't believe they wouldn't have gotten down and dirty by now . . . total of 20+ days in the shop.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 AM
olzeek
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if there is seepage at the bottom of the oil tube, maybe the way you fill it will make a diff. Slow fill vs. fast fill might not have the problem? Pouring down the right side of the funnel instead of left? Refrigerated oil vs. ambient temp? Yah, crazy. Hmmm....we need someone to do some research. Who's next up for an oil change?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by John T.
Thanks Eppieguy. What you've shared here makes sense and I've forwarded your message to the dealer. I can't believe they wouldn't have gotten down and dirty by now . . . total of 20+ days in the shop.
Yeah, well it's only a guess but as soon as I got to the top of the header with the tip of my finger (I still can't see in there) I was able to feel the oil. I sprayed a rag with Brakeclean and used my finger and a screwdriver with a rag and I got a lot of it off. I'm assuming it could have come from the bottom of the fill tube but either way after I cleaned there I have not gotten the smell back again.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Thanks again, Eppieguy. I forwarded this message to the dealer, too.

John

Last edited by John T.; 11-03-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Add name.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats with the OIL SMELL ???

Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM
dkvetteguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Mlo
What kind of oil is everyone useing?

I used royal purple this time, and my brother had to quit useing royal purple in his T/A because he was buring it like crazy! He switched to AMS and hasn't had a problem since.

I figured I'd try that next and see if their was any improvment.
Thats a load of #*@* OH YA! Royal purple is a great oil and I doubt very much AMSOIL is any better, Just all marketing hype!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Mlo
Advanced

Originally Posted by dkvetteguy
Thats a load of #*@* OH YA! Royal purple is a great oil and I doubt very much AMSOIL is any better, Just all marketing hype!
Im not saying either one is better. I'm just stating the fact that my brothers car burned Royal Purple like crazy, and as soon as he switched to AMS oil he stoped burning oil. Coincidence or not just stating a fact.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 PM
sayih911
1st Gear

Default Oil Smell-what's best de-greaser to remove oil off pipes

What degreaser to remove oil from exhaust pipes?

Originally Posted by Armored Saint
After changing the oil in my 07 with 15k miles, I am getting a burning oil type of smell in the cabin while at a complete stop. I absolutely did not spill any oil and have no visible leaks or any evidence on the garage floor or dip stick. Its been 250 miles since the oil change and still pretty strong smell when warmed up at a complete stop. Its driving me nuts and I will admit I am kinda OCD about such things. Give a shout if you have any idea what is going on or how I can put a stop to it. I did switch from Pennzoil back to Mobil1 since Pen was temp out of stock, really doubt that would do anything.

Quick Reply: Whats with the OIL SMELL ???