C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental DWS Extreme tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
btw, Conti discontinued the current version of the DW....so you might want to ****** up any you can find. hopefully they will make a new version.
Where did you get this information?
The ExtremeContact DW is still listed on the Continental website.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I'm not sure I said that......but yes. The DW costs about $120.00 per set more, based on Tire Rack pricing.
I don't track my car or drive aggressively in the turns all the time so I'll go for the tire that will last longer.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

I'm also considering this tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ling%20Package
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT

It's an all-season run-flat.
Tire Rack seems to love the tire.
In their recent test, it actually handled better than the non-run-flat version, and without sacrificing ride quality (like most run-flats).
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

The primary difference is that the DW is a summer-only tire, and the DWS is all-season.
That's true, BUT there're many levels of 'all-season' man. The DW is a 'max summer' tire (just like the PS2), which is the second highest STREET summer tire, behind 'extreme summer'. The DWS is the highest all-season level, which is 'ultra-high-performance' all-season (like Michelin Pilot A/S+). And it's only a couple of notches below the DW. I have the Pilot A/Ss on my M3, and it has all the grip I ever need on the street. Plus as it was said, they're much quieter, MUCH safer in colder temperatures, and last a lot longer. Unless somebody tracks his car constantly, and live above 70ºF all year long, can't imagine a summer tire being a better choice than an UHP A/S, but that's just me. Unfortunately, apparently there is no such choice for the GS at the moment. Hopefully soon.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
That's true, BUT there're many levels of 'all-season' man. The DW is a 'max summer' tire (just like the PS2), which is the second highest STREET summer tire, behind 'extreme summer'. The DWS is the highest all-season level, which is 'ultra-high-performance' all-season (like Michelin Pilot A/S+). And it's only a couple of notches below the DW. I have the Pilot A/Ss on my M3, and it has all the grip I ever need on the street. Plus as it was said, they're much quieter, MUCH safer in colder temperatures, and last a lot longer. Unless somebody tracks his car constantly, and live above 70ºF all year long, can't imagine a summer tire being a better choice than an UHP A/S, but that's just me. Unfortunately, apparently there is no such choice for the GS at the moment. Hopefully soon.
Makes me wonder why some of these cars come from the factory with summer performance only as I would think there would be a liability issue.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

A Set of 4: $838.00 what a great price
I will have to see if Discount Tire will match this price.
They did last time.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Keith J Hillman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front DWS 2012GS rear Nitto great system ----For hard driving 35 psi front 28psi rear.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Where did you get this information?
The ExtremeContact DW is still listed on the Continental website.
I was told by the manager at the discount tire. He said the regional Conti rep told him. which is also why they went on clearance and most online retailers don't have them anymore.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Replaced the loud, hard, harsh, runflats on my C6....Love them! Liked them so much that I replaced the runflats on my Mini JCW coupe with them, and then put them on my wife's Acura. Unless you're racing, they won't disappoint.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by m48xhp
I was told by the manager at the discount tire. He said the regional Conti rep told him. which is also why they went on clearance and most online retailers don't have them anymore.
Are you sure we're talking about the same tire?....This one?.....
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...Form&rc=ILCINT
Discount Tire and Tire Rack still show them on their websites; and I haven't noticed them with clearance pricing recently.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Discount Tire and Tire Rack still show them on their websites; and I haven't noticed them with clearance pricing recently.
thats the one. I've got them. They were around double those prices originally.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 PM
edlomax
Intermediate

Still Love the DW. I beat that "out the door" price about 8 months ago and that included -balance and a front-end alighnment. Called both of them and they said they had not received any notice.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by edlomax
Still Love the DW. I beat that "out the door" price about 8 months ago and that included -balance and a front-end alighnment. Called both of them and they said they had not received any notice.

I've been researching tires for about 6 months now, and the prices I've seen online for the DW have been fairly consistent. I haven't noticed any drop in price.
I'll be buying new tires in the spring.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
edlomax
Intermediate

I found that if I talk to a local "independent dealer" and tell them the best price I have found for the tires - they get within $100 of the price (if they can use their warehouse stock) and throw in balancing and front-end align. Did that with two sets of tires last year. I like not having to worry about shipping & hauling plus the LOCAL guarantee and free flat fix service. Also took them a new set of TPMS (off internet) and got back the old ones.

I did buy a set the previous year on tire rack (for a caddy) and shipped to my home. Then hauled them to a tire place and paid to mount balance and align at a cost of about $100.

Last edited by edlomax; 01-13-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I found that if I talk to a local "independent dealer" and tell them the best price I have found for the tires - they get within $100 of the price (if they can use their warehouse stock) and throw in balancing and front-end align. Did that with two sets of tires last year. I like not having to worry about shipping & hauling plus the LOCAL guarantee and free flat fix service. Also took them a new set of TPMS (off internet) and got back the old ones.

I did buy a set the previous year on tire rack (for a caddy) and shipped to my home. Then hauled them to a tire place and paid to mount balance and align at a cost of about $100.
Is it necessary to replace the TPMS when replacing the tires?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM
edlomax
Intermediate

Not if they are working - mine were 8 years old and figured I would be sure and also take a stab at replacing batteries in a set (I have a caddy with the same type).
Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Not if they are working - mine were 8 years old and figured I would be sure and also take a stab at replacing batteries in a set (I have a caddy with the same type).
Is this an easy thing one can do themself or it must be done by tire shop at extra charge?

Get notified of new replies

To Continental DWS Extreme tire

Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

This tire has a lower treadwear rating over the DWS which I believe is 540 otherwise the specs are the same?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS WON
This tire has a lower treadwear rating over the DWS which I believe is 540 otherwise the specs are the same?
The DW is a summer-only tire, with a warm weather tread.
The DWS is an all-season tire, with a tread that is suitable for cooler temperatures.
The treads are completely different. I don't know if the rest of the tire construction is similar, or not.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

The DW is a summer-only tire, with a warm weather tread.
The DWS is an all-season tire, with a tread that is suitable for cooler temperatures.
The treads are completely different. I don't know if the rest of the tire construction is similar, or not.
I have seen both of these tires and definitely the DW has the more agressive tread of the two. I think the DWS has a treadwear rating of 540 traction and temp AA?

Quick Reply: Continental DWS Extreme tire