C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental DWS Extreme tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

In my search I notice that the DWS is the lower cost of what is considered to be low cost tires preferred tires like Hangkook, Kumho and Invo Nittos.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,545 Likes on 527 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Update part 2:

Had 1 inch of snow and drove on some slushy conditions ! Car is beast! I didn't slip once, and even with wet roads and temps in 20s I didn't have to drive like a Prius.

DWS is great in slush in the vette. May take it out in a couple inches just to test it. I don't need to but want to see how DWS truly is in a rwd sports car

In comparison I had to drive in similar conditions with the run flats, the car was all over the place - and slipped hard.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Update part 2:

Had 1 inch of snow and drove on some slushy conditions ! Car is beast! I didn't slip once, and even with wet roads and temps in 20s I didn't have to drive like a Prius.

DWS is great in slush in the vette. May take it out in a couple inches just to test it. I don't need to but want to see how DWS truly is in a rwd sports car

In comparison I had to drive in similar conditions with the run flats, the car was all over the place - and slipped hard.
Thanks keep us posted. It is just that it doesn't snow here much in the San Francisco Bay Area
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Go2GuyTX
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Thanks keep us posted. It is just that it doesn't snow here much in the San Francisco Bay Area
I understand it doesn't snow all the often down there but how much rain do y'all deal with? It rained probably 4/5 of the last 7 days here in College Station and the tires have responded beautifully I've hit a few major spots on my drive to work where you can hear it up under the wheel well but never hydroplaned or anything, car just kept on moving, much more than I can say for the run-flats Still no snow to speak of but you're not too worried about that part

I think the higher price is for the more aggressive tread pattern honestly, not so much that it is "that" much better of a performing tire. As I've said before and I'll say again, I will take thread wear increase and a potentially less handling tire and save ~$100 over a more aggressive thread
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Go2GuyTX
I understand it doesn't snow all the often down there but how much rain do y'all deal with? It rained probably 4/5 of the last 7 days here in College Station and the tires have responded beautifully I've hit a few major spots on my drive to work where you can hear it up under the wheel well but never hydroplaned or anything, car just kept on moving, much more than I can say for the run-flats Still no snow to speak of but you're not too worried about that part

I think the higher price is for the more aggressive tread pattern honestly, not so much that it is "that" much better of a performing tire. As I've said before and I'll say again, I will take thread wear increase and a potentially less handling tire and save ~$100 over a more aggressive thread
It was just a thought before I buy them since I saw their scoring numbers.
The DW was scored higher in wet and quiet ride/comfort over DWS. I would take the extra treadwear too and depending on how one drives those little differences in scoring points might not even make a difference but the treadwear will.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS Extreme tire