C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Sunoco not a top tier gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Garibaldi
I was reading through the owner's manual today and visited toptiergas.com. In Canada, Sunoco is listed as a top tier gas, but in the US, it is not. In the Northeast, Sunoco is one of the few brands that offer 93 octane. I'm confused.

Please don't turn this into a 'best gas' p**sing contest...

Thx
GP
I gotta pee!

Last edited by NORTY; 10-20-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"Top Tier Gas" is a scam started by one of the companies that IS a top tier station.

Do some research on it. It's just a marketing scam.

All stations share fuel from the same pipelines. The only difference will be in detergents used.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 10-21-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

There are no "tiers" of gasoline. "Top Tier" is a trademark of a group of companies. It is no different than saying "Top Flight gasoline" or "Top Bunk gasoline" "Top End gasoline" "Tip Top gasoline" etc.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
There are no "tiers" of gasoline. "Top Tier" is a trademark of a group of companies. It is no different than saying "Top Flight gasoline" or "Top Bunk gasoline" "Top End gasoline" "Tip Top gasoline" etc.

Those stations don't have exclusive rights to receive better pipelines of fuel
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

I don’t know if I am the retired oil company engineer referred to in other posts in this thread, but I am a retired oil company engineer. If you are into conspiracy theories and/or you hate oil companies, nothing that anyone says will convince you that brands or quality specs make a difference. But for those of you who care, as I’ve explained many times in many threads, top tier is not a gimmick. It means that you have demonstrated through engine testing that your additive package maintains highest standards of engine cleanliness. There is a very large difference between top tier and those who meet only minimum EPA additive standards. Companies like Sunoco, who do more than minimum EPA but less than top tier are in between. Trouble is, in such situations you have no way of knowing whether you are getting nearly top tier additive quality, which would be mostly ok, or whether you are closer to minimum EPA, which would not be so good.

As far as the story that it all comes from the same pipe, that depends on where you live. If you are near a refining center or major waterway, you are probably getting gas from that company’s own refineries. If your area is served by pipeline, it may be common carrier gasoline, but even then, it could be from that company’s refineries. It is possible to segregate shipments in pipelines. But irrespective of where the base gas comes from, the additive package is always what it says on the pump. Additives are added in the delivery truck, and there would be too much legal risk for the oil companies to post on the pump that you are getting their additive package when you are really getting something else.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LDB
I don’t know if I am the retired oil company engineer referred to in other posts in this thread, but I am a retired oil company engineer. If you are into conspiracy theories and/or you hate oil companies, nothing that anyone says will convince you that brands or quality specs make a difference. But for those of you who care, as I’ve explained many times in many threads, top tier is not a gimmick. It means that you have demonstrated through engine testing that your additive package maintains highest standards of engine cleanliness. There is a very large difference between top tier and those who meet only minimum EPA additive standards. Companies like Sunoco, who do more than minimum EPA but less than top tier are in between. Trouble is, in such situations you have no way of knowing whether you are getting nearly top tier additive quality, which would be mostly ok, or whether you are closer to minimum EPA, which would not be so good.

As far as the story that it all comes from the same pipe, that depends on where you live. If you are near a refining center or major waterway, you are probably getting gas from that company’s own refineries. If your area is served by pipeline, it may be common carrier gasoline, but even then, it could be from that company’s refineries. It is possible to segregate shipments in pipelines. But irrespective of where the base gas comes from, the additive package is always what it says on the pump. Additives are added in the delivery truck, and there would be too much legal risk for the oil companies to post on the pump that you are getting their additive package when you are really getting something else.
Me, I will go with the old "past practice" saying for lack of a better word......This forum never sees any fuel related issues in comparison to everything else. I never even knew this list existed and I have never had fuel related issues. |It's a club plain and simple, you pay, you can join, people have posted truths to support those claims.
Not saying some fuels run different additives, so what..Also not saying you can't get a bad batch of fuel at even those so called top teir stations...so what crap happens.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by LDB
I don’t know if I am the retired oil company engineer referred to in other posts in this thread, but I am a retired oil company engineer.
Do you happen to know the costs involved in becoming "top tier"'qualified ?

Exxon was noticeably absent from that list for years. I am not aware of any changes to their additives since they were put on the list. If there has been, I don't remember them marketing it.

So what probably happened, is that as top tier became more known, they were forced to submit to the testing for fear of losing more customers/franchise locations.

Bottom line is no matter what it has become now, it started as a marketing gimmick. Quik Trip found a way to differentiate their product from the others as "better", which is the essence of marketing. Others could share in being in this exclusive club, for a fee no doubt. As this marketing masterpiece evolved, it probably turned into something legitimate, forcing others (Exxon for example) to participate. If that isn't marketing, I don't know what is.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The top tier marketing ploy is just some brands that add a few parts per million more detergent than the government requires.

Big deal. That is precisely what it is. Nothing to do with octane at all.

Government regulates the blends of gasoline by season and region. All are the same with the little added detergent that I mentioned for the descended from Mount Olympus Top Tier brands. You can do that your self every couple of months if needed with a little bottle of detergent additive. Add a little more for super duper Top Tier.

I drive 40,000 a year in Corvettes, Vipers, trucks, motorcycles and even Prius's. Never used a top tier station. Always always buy at the lowest price place. Never a single issue with gas except recently with a Shell station that had E15 that I missed on the little tag. Result: Mpg's dropped 25%

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-21-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

So gas is gas just go by the octane rating?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Quote directly from: http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html about the supposedly stricter test requirements.

1.2 Deposit Control Additive Requirements. The deposit control additive used to meet the performance Standards described in 1.3 shall meet the substantially similar definition under Section 211(f) of the Clean Air Act. Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79.

All gasoline has to meet the EPA's Clean Air Act standard. That standard is substantially similar to the standards developed by the four automobile manufacturers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota) for TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. That's what the site says.

The reason TOP TIER gasoline is more expensive is not because it's any better. It's because they have to pay for advertising to make you think that it's better. All gasoline has to meet the SAME standard.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

How many "Chevron" distribution trucks do you see? I never seen one. The truck filling up the local chevron station was the same that filled up I think Tesoro.

Also Top Tier having the same address as Quik Trip is real interesting. Quik Trip was at the top of the list also.

I do use Chevron/Texaco though, not because it is Top Tier but because I get a 10c a gallon discount since I use their CC.

Sunoco is just as good as any of them. I used Hess mostly when I was back east. I thought it was cool since that is my last name.

Basically Top Tier is an advertising campaign, if you pay you get additional advertising. Then misinformed owners will buy your product.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
How many "Chevron" distribution trucks do you see? I never seen one. The truck filling up the local chevron station was the same that filled up I think Tesoro.

Also Top Tier having the same address as Quik Trip is real interesting. Quik Trip was at the top of the list also.

I do use Chevron/Texaco though, not because it is Top Tier but because I get a 10c a gallon discount since I use their CC.

Sunoco is just as good as any of them. I used Hess mostly when I was back east. I thought it was cool since that is my last name.

Basically Top Tier is an advertising campaign, if you pay you get additional advertising. Then misinformed owners will buy your product.
One of the strangest things in my mind about Top Tier is that they actually don't advertise, and there are not "Top Tier" signs at the gas stations. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have never heard of them. I'd be willing on betting a lot of money that if you spent an hour at a busy gas station asking every customer if they have ever heard of it, or have any idea what it means, there is a very good chance that in that hour you would not find a single customer who has ever heard of it.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 AM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
Do you happen to know the costs involved in becoming "top tier"'qualified ?

Bottom line is no matter what it has become now, it started as a marketing gimmick. Quik Trip found a way to differentiate their product from the others as "better", which is the essence of marketing. Others could share in being in this exclusive club, for a fee no doubt. As this marketing masterpiece evolved, it probably turned into something legitimate, forcing others (Exxon for example) to participate. If that isn't marketing, I don't know what is.
Top tier is supported by the auto companies, not the oil companies, so logically, it can’t be considered an oil company marketing gimmick. The only cost to the oil companies is the required engine testing, which costs something like $50,000, and of course, the added cost of the additives that are required to meet the engine testing cleanliness specs. There is no fee to the oil companies.

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Quote directly from: http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html about the supposedly stricter test requirements.

1.2 Deposit Control Additive Requirements. The deposit control additive used to meet the performance Standards described in 1.3 shall meet the substantially similar definition under Section 211(f) of the Clean Air Act. Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79.

The reason TOP TIER gasoline is more expensive is not because it's any better. It's because they have to pay for advertising to make you think that it's better. All gasoline has to meet the SAME standard.
You are grossly misinterpreting spec 1.2. That is simply legal boilerplate that lawyers stuck in to insure there was no way top tier could be viewed as an alternative spec, replacing EPA spec. So it simply means that you must start by meeting EPA spec, and then you add the top tier specs on top of that. If you go back to the top tier site and look at all the specs, you will find several pages that specify engine testing needed to demonstrate compliance with top tier deposit control, and none of those tests are required to meet EPA spec. Thus your last sentence is half true and half misleading. The half true part is that all gas must meet the same EPA spec. The half misleading part is that in addition, top tier requires you to meet engine cleanliness specs that are not required to meet EPA spec.

Originally Posted by jschindler
One of the strangest things in my mind about Top Tier is that they actually don't advertise, and there are not "Top Tier" signs at the gas stations. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have never heard of them. I'd be willing on betting a lot of money that if you spent an hour at a busy gas station asking every customer if they have ever heard of it, or have any idea what it means, there is a very good chance that in that hour you would not find a single customer who has ever heard of it.
That is further evidence that top tier is not an oil company marketing gimmick. If it were, the oil companies would be bragging about it. They don’t brag about it because it’s a recommended spec of some (not all) auto companies. So the oil companies who comply with top tier are just trying to be sure that if a customer reads in the owner’s manual that top tier is recommended, and then goes to the web site to see what top tier means, they will be on the list of top tier companies. If you consider Shell and Chevron as examples, Shell likes to advertise their own detergent buzz words “nitrogen enriched” while Chevron likes to advertise their buzz word “Techron”. That way their ads try to differentiate them from their main, big company competitors. If they advertised top tier, it would differentiate them from the generally smaller companies that don’t comply with top tier, but it would not differentiate them from the big companies who do, and who are their main competitors. From a practical standpoint, both “nitrogen enriched” and “Techron” (as well as other additive packages used by other companies who meet top tier) are pretty much functionally equivalent. All will result in cleaner engines than companies who do not comply with top tier.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:57 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
Top tier is supported by the auto companies, not the oil companies, so logically, it can’t be considered an oil company marketing gimmick. The only cost to the oil companies is the required engine testing, which costs something like $50,000, and of course, the added cost of the additives that are required to meet the engine testing cleanliness specs. There is no fee to the oil companies.

You are grossly misinterpreting spec 1.2. That is simply legal boilerplate that lawyers stuck in to insure there was no way top tier could be viewed as an alternative spec, replacing EPA spec. So it simply means that you must start by meeting EPA spec, and then you add the top tier specs on top of that. If you go back to the top tier site and look at all the specs, you will find several pages that specify engine testing needed to demonstrate compliance with top tier deposit control, and none of those tests are required to meet EPA spec. Thus your last sentence is half true and half misleading. The half true part is that all gas must meet the same EPA spec. The half misleading part is that in addition, top tier requires you to meet engine cleanliness specs that are not required to meet EPA spec.

That is further evidence that top tier is not an oil company marketing gimmick. If it were, the oil companies would be bragging about it. They don’t brag about it because it’s a recommended spec of some (not all) auto companies. So the oil companies who comply with top tier are just trying to be sure that if a customer reads in the owner’s manual that top tier is recommended, and then goes to the web site to see what top tier means, they will be on the list of top tier companies. If you consider Shell and Chevron as examples, Shell likes to advertise their own detergent buzz words “nitrogen enriched” while Chevron likes to advertise their buzz word “Techron”. That way their ads try to differentiate them from their main, big company competitors. If they advertised top tier, it would differentiate them from the generally smaller companies that don’t comply with top tier, but it would not differentiate them from the big companies who do, and who are their main competitors. From a practical standpoint, both “nitrogen enriched” and “Techron” (as well as other additive packages used by other companies who meet top tier) are pretty much functionally equivalent. All will result in cleaner engines than companies who do not comply with top tier.
All very good points - great post

BTW, I'd be interested in who you worked for. I am a "Global Account Manager" for a company that sells electrical products worldwide. My only customer is one of the very large oil companies. I'm responsible for our dealings with them - we do business with all of their facilities in North America and several internationally.

Last edited by jschindler; 10-22-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 AM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by jschindler
All very good points - great post

BTW, I'd be interested in who you worked for. I am a "Global Account Manager" for a company that sells electrical products worldwide. My only customer is one of the very large oil companies. I'm responsible for our dealings with them - we do business with all of their facilities in North America and several internationally.
Thanks for the thumbs up. I’d rather not say who I worked for. Seems like that would damage my credibility in making some of the points, and it could also get misinterpreted as making me some sort of spokesman for that company, which I am not. So I’ll just say it was one of the big ones that operates both here and internationally. I probably wouldn’t have known you as I was not in actual refinery operations, so wouldn’t have had much contact with electrical equipment manufacturers. I’m a chemical engineer who worked in refinery planning and economics, as well as tech service issues like gasoline and lube characteristics and specs.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:51 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So perhaps advertising campaign would not be the best term. Clever marketing extortion would be better. Create an unofficial voluntary test. Get a few manufacturers on board. Then milk the oil companies for membership fees to get on the list. The oil companies don't really care. The fees are small to them and they just pass it on to the customers.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

No offense, but one can come on here and type a 25 paragraph response in support of this scam, I am not buying into it for a second.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is Sunoco not a top tier gas

Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

SUNOCO used to have 94 octane gas in NY.Some stuff shirt tree hugger politician whack job put a stop to that.idiots.All gas is pretty much the same imho.All the hype is just marketing bs to get you to buy that product.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 AM
General Lee
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the rotation strategy, Shell,Sunoco.Hess,
(Wawa locally here in the PA/NJ area) but mostly the Shell/Sunoco brands
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by EDinPA
So perhaps advertising campaign would not be the best term. Clever marketing extortion would be better. Create an unofficial voluntary test. Get a few manufacturers on board. Then milk the oil companies for membership fees to get on the list. The oil companies don't really care. The fees are small to them and they just pass it on to the customers.
Originally Posted by Racer
No offense, but one can come on here and type a 25 paragraph response in support of this scam, I am not buying into it for a second.
Originally Posted by 08crm
All gas is pretty much the same imho.All the hype is just marketing bs to get you to buy that product.
No offense to you guys either, but you keep missing the point. Auto companies, not oil companies, started, run, and pay for top tier. Oil companies do not pay fees, and most of them do not advertise being top tier beyond being listed on the top tier web site as being in compliance with specs. Their only cost is running the engine tests and paying for the extra additives that are needed to pass the tests. The specs are real. The tests are real. The demonstrated higher level of engine cleanliness is real. That’s why the auto companies developed and promote the specs. It means lower warranty costs for them because engines will be cleaner. I know all three of your minds are made up, so you will either ignore this response or brush it off again. But at least I’ve put the facts out there for those whose minds aren’t made up. And to save you the trouble of pointing it out, I know all three of you have a zillion more posts than I do, and are among the forum “in crowd”. But that doesn’t make you automatically correct. And of course my claim of being a knowledgeable person in the industry has the dual problems that it might be a lie, and even if true, I could just be a willing stooge of the bad old oil industry. But maybe not. Maybe on this topic, my lowly two star number of posts is the one with the straight scoop.

Quick Reply: Why is Sunoco not a top tier gas