C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My door from the inside wont unlock and release, how do I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default My door from the inside wont unlock and release, how do I fix it?

I've been having this problem with my 08 Corvette since I purchase it, the door refusing to unlock and release. when I 1st start driving around town everything works just fine then all of a sudden it goes on strike and refuses to release causing me to revert to the emergency release handle. Now I've already replaced the door release button so then does anybody have a workable solution that I can apply before I take it to the dealer?
Thanks Boonie

it never fails to open from the outside my problem is strictly occurring from the INSIDE

Last edited by boonie c4; 06-30-2016 at 12:48 AM. Reason: explain the source of my problem
Old 06-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,969 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well could be a lot of things but it may be the actual door latch is getting lazy. Does it fail to open from the outside sometimes or just the inside? If it's outside it can be the door pads are dirty or worn out. Easy fix there. If those are good then it may well be the latch. It is more work to fix but if I did it most folks can.....I posted a how to on replacing the latch mechanism.....try the search function on door won't open and see what comes up.........
Old 06-29-2016, 09:37 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
I've been having this problem with my 08 Corvette since I purchase it, the door refusing to unlock and release. when I 1st start driving around town everything works just fine then all of a sudden it goes on strike and refuses to release causing me to revert to the emergency release handle. Now I've already replaced the door release button so then does anybody have a workable solution that I can apply before I take it to the dealer?
Thanks Boonie
Here are a couple of posts that might help. I am guessing your outside door pad is dirty or needs to be replaced. It's inexpensive and easy to do so it might be worth a try before heading to the dealer or something.
Also, do you hear the latch try and work when you push the button or is there just nothing?
Good luck and keep us posted!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-t-open.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...her-posts.html
Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

If it is an auto you know it must be in park. I would lower the window and try the outside pad and if it works i would check the wires and the button. always check the fob batteries. I have bumped the lock / unlock rocker button on the door and had a panic a few times.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:34 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

The inside passenger door open release button stopped working on my '13. I took it out and cleaned the two little contact buttons under the push button and it fixed the issue. About 15 minutes taking my time with it.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

This may seem simple but are you unlocking the doors before trying the button? If the car is turned off you shouldn't need to but if it's still running you will. You'll hear a "ding" when you hit the unlock button. Does the passenger side have the same issue?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mikey_T
This may seem simple but are you unlocking the doors before trying the button? If the car is turned off you shouldn't need to but if it's still running you will. You'll hear a "ding" when you hit the unlock button. Does the passenger side have the same issue?
NO It doesn't
Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
Thanks Boonie

it never fails to open from the outside my problem is strictly occurring from the INSIDE
Hello Boonie!

We are sorry to see that you are experiencing lock concerns and would like to check for any recalls or service announcements that may be associated to what you are experiencing. If interested, please send us your VIN and mileage.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-30-2016, 05:22 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello Boonie!

We are sorry to see that you are experiencing lock concerns and would like to check for any recalls or service announcements that may be associated to what you are experiencing. If interested, please send us your VIN and mileage.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Erica here's my Vin number
1G1YY26W485119230
Thanks Boonie

Get notified of new replies

To My door from the inside wont unlock and release, how do I fix it?

Quick Reply: My door from the inside wont unlock and release, how do I fix it?