C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 CF kit installed on GS

Old 10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 CF kit installed on GS

OK guys here it goes. I have installed the Corvettemods ZR1 CF kit. So far I have installed the front splitter and rear spoiler. I will install the sides this weekend.
What do ya think of it so far?

More pics to come when I get the sides on.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

looks amazing!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
fivefingerdeathpunch
Drifting

LOOKS GOOD DAN, VELOCITY YELLOW RULES
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 395 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Specifically the rear spoiler...How is the fit? Any gaps?
Looks great.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Specifically the rear spoiler...How is the fit? Any gaps?
Looks great.
The splitter went on in about 20 minutes and without jacking the car up. It made use of the same stock retainers that hold on the stock plastic thingy it replaced. Lined right up the first time..

The spoiler fit in finish is great. It took a bit longer to install as it does require drilling into the rear deck. I could do it in about 30 min now that I have done it once.

Spoiler step
1 make your own template by sing the box the kit comes in. You have to go to ACE hardware to get some hardware (I used nuts, lock washer, decent size washer, poly washer in that order) to fit the studs so bring your spoiler with you. I mounted the spoiler to the cardboard and snugged up the nuts. I then used a razor knife to cut around the spoiler. Now I had a clean template with the exact location of the studs in it.

2 remove your 4 stop lights with a torx. unplug them and set them aside.

3 reach in the tail light hole and feel the 4 nuts holding on your stock 3rd light housing. Remove them with a small ratchet. DO NOT DROP THE NUTS

4 unplug the connector from the 3rd light before you try to take the light housing off. If you dont the harness and connector will not let you completely remove the light. to remove the light from the housing you have to remove the two studs holding it in place.

5 lay your template on the rear deck, lining up the 4 center holes. the template should be about a quarter of an inch off the rear.

6 tape your teplate to the car. carefully place your spoiler on the car lining up al lthe lugs with the holes in your template.. do this about 10 times until you are happy with the alignment.

7 I ran a strip of tape the lenght of the rear quarter palel seem with the trunk and ran the tape across the template. I measured the edge of the tape to the outside of the template. I did this to make sure the template was centered.

8 check everything one last time. Drill a small pilot hole in the center of each hole in the template. 3 on each side of template. the 4 center holes line up with the factory holes of your stock light.

9 remove your template.

10 carefully palce your spoiler back on the car to make sure your pilot holes are where you need them.

11 go one size drill bit bigger than the studs on the spoiler. and hold your breath and drill out the 6 holes.

12 you should be able to install your spoiler. do a test fit without the break light installed.

13 remove the spoiler from the car. and install the break light. this is where a dremmel comes in handy. CF is not perfect so you will have to carefully clean out the light hole until you get a good fit. ou might even have to clean the base of the studs off with the dremmel to get the light to fit nicely. take it slow and remove material in small amounts at a time. keep repeating unil you get a god fit.

14 there will be an oval hole where the light connector plug goes. This hole will need to be modified. Take a dremmel and grind away the verticle ledge. careful to not take any of the deck material away. this will leave enough room for the light connector to be plugged in. The best thing to do first is with the light installed in the spoiler put the spoiler on the car. reach in through the tail light and feel where you would plug the harness in. you will feel the ledge I am talking about. again small amounts here. Dont start hacking up your car. I think I put on my spoiler on 20 to 30 times before it was all said and done.

15 install the spoiler and plug in the 3rd light harness.

16 install your washers and nuts. when you start snugging up the nuts DO NOT CRANK THEM DOWN. hand tighten for now is fine. there will be gaps between the car and spoiler at this point. dont worry

17 make sure oyur spoiler is alined perfectly. If it is a little off see if there is enough play with your screw holes to position just right. DONT FORCE IT. if it is off then remove the spoiler and elongate your holes in the direction the spoiler needs to move. AGAIN BABY STEPS here.

18 reinstall and handtighten all your nuts and give about a half turn with the ratchet. If you over tighten you will see the deck start to pucker. if you do this back off the nuts. once all are tihtened double check them all again.

19 reinstall the tail lights and you are done.

Last edited by LITTLEELVISDAN; 10-24-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 395 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Great tips.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Looks real killer!

How about a pic of the rear spoiler from behind, please?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 AM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Looks real killer!

How about a pic of the rear spoiler from behind, please?
I have some but I have to figure out how to blurr the license plate.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:18 AM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Old 10-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Car looks great but I must say, you did a lot of steps you didn't need to do, if I understood you correctly, you said the 4 center studs line up with the factory holes....all you do is put a dab of paint or your wifes lip stick on the studs that have no holes and put the 4 studs in the factory holes and press down on the outer ones so they mark the top of the cover, it is exact, it has to be, takes 2 minutes tops. Did this for my wifes ZR1 spoiler, my car came with the ZR1 spoiler from the factory.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

I just wanted to make damn sure I didn't mess up a brand new car. Its got 2k on it now and a new bumper cover is definately not authorized in the budget. Like I said I could do it in about 30 minutes now.

Last edited by LITTLEELVISDAN; 10-25-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 PM
YellowGSRocket
Racer

Originally Posted by fivefingerdeathpunch
LOOKS GOOD DAN, VELOCITY YELLOW RULES
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You don't need to blur your license plate .. Everyone sees it out on the street when your diriving .. Everyone sees it in the parking lot .. Anyone could take a photo of the back of your car anytime they want

What difference does it make here?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
You don't need to blur your license plate .. Everyone sees it out on the street when your diriving .. Everyone sees it in the parking lot .. Anyone could take a photo of the back of your car anytime they want

What difference does it make here?
true that. But whats the upside of broadcasting it world wide?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That CF splitter looks good but makes me nervous for my GS.

I'm considering doing it in Matt Black due to the potential for easy damage. My current GS chin spoiler has been hit several times already but it's easy to fix.

Good luck with keeping it pristine.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Finished the sides today. They were easier than I had thought. took both rear wheels off, installed new mud guards, installed side skirts. total about 2 hrs. BUT most of my time was trying to get my drivers side wheel nuts off. Passenger side wheel nuts came off as if they weren't even tightened and the drivers side felt like they were torqued to about 200 ft lbs. actually twisted one lug nut like a candy cane stripe. BTW the car had sat over night so the rotors were nice and cold. Just hit 2000 miles on the car so it definately came fron the factory this way.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 PM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Oh, I finished late so no pics today. I'll try and get some tomorrow andpost them up.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 CF kit installed on GS

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Love it so far!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 AM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice