C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service active handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
jthurik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default service active handling

I received the service active handling error and it disabled itself. I normally drive in competitive driving mode took it up to the dealer and we put the tech II on it and it said there was a communication issue between the EBMC and the Cluster. Has anyone seen this issue I have it up at the dealer now. Funny thing is this is the first time I have seen this since the build and it did not happen till after the alignment (which i think is unrelated) but after a restart and driving about 2 miles it comes up with the error. Its a 2010 Grand Sport

John

Last edited by jthurik; 10-25-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added year
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do a search on this subject and see that there is a lot to read. My similar experience resulted in the EBCM needing replacement. Further similar issues were solved by treating all computer connections with dielectric grease. My car has been glitch free for over 2 years. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jthurik
I received the service active handling error and it disabled itself. I normally drive in competitive driving mode took it up to the dealer and we put the tech II on it and it said there was a communication issue between the EBMC and the Cluster. Has anyone seen this issue I have it up at the dealer now. Funny thing is this is the first time I have seen this since the build and it did not happen till after the alignment (which i think is unrelated) but after a restart and driving about 2 miles it comes up with the error. Its a 2010 Grand Sport

John
Usually U codes will not cause any issues. They happen all the time. The various modules on the data bus send State of Health messages to each other on a continual basis. Sometimes those messages aren't received due to a noise glitch or some other minor issue and a code is set. A few seconds later another message gets through but the code isn't reset. If the EBCM isn't communicating at all you would get a No Comm message on the Tech II and none of the EBCM functions (ABS/TC/AH) would work.

The EBCM resets with each restart so some of the codes are reset as well. Did the mechanic take the car out for a ride with the Tech II hooked up to see what code was set when the message was displayed after the two mile drive? I suspect the message had something to do with the steering not centering which could be a steering sensor issue or an alignment issue (likely since somebody just adjusted it). The diagnostic for this type of fault tells the mechanic the first thing to check is the alignment.

Here is the diagnostic for one of the codes that could give you the failure you are seeing:
DTC C0253 00: Centering Error
Circuit/System Description
Steering angle centering is the process which calibrates the steer sensor output so that it reads 0 when the steering wheel is centered, using data from the yaw rate sensor, lateral accelerometer and wheel speeds. Under normal circumstances steer angle centering occurs after approximately 10 seconds of driving in a straight line on a fairly level surface (i.e. a typical road) at greater than 10 km/h.

The usable output voltage range for the yaw rate sensor signal and lateral accelerometer sensor signal is 0.25-4.75 volts. The scan tool will report zero lateral acceleration or yaw rate as 2.5 volts with no sensor bias present. The sensor bias compensates for sensor mounting alignment errors, electronic signal errors, temperature changes, and manufacturing differences.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The vehicle speed is greater than 40 km/h (25 mph).
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The vehicle has been driven for 10 minutes without completing steer angle centering.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The EBCM disables the VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.
• The driver information center (DIC) displays the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING message.
• The antilock brake system (ABS) and traction control system (TCS) remain functional.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
• The condition for the DTC is no longer present.
• The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.

Diagnostic Aids
The following conditions can cause this concern:
Improper steering alignment.
• Internal yaw and lateral acceleration sensor failure.
• EBCM internal failure.

Circuit/System Verification
Observe the SWPS Signal A and SWPS Signal B parameters with a scan tool while turning the steering wheel left and right. Verify that the SWPS Signal A and SWPS Signal B parameters increase and decrease smoothly when the steering wheel is turned.
⇒ If the SWPS Signal A and SWPS Signal B parameters do not change smoothly, replace the steering wheel position sensor.

Operate the vehicle within the conditions for setting the DTC. Verify DTC C0186, C0196, C0253, or C0710 are not set.
⇒ If DTC C0186, C0196, or C0710 are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.
⇒ If only DTC C0253 set, replace the yaw and lateral acceleration sensor. If DTC C0253 sets again, replace the EBCM.

Again, this may not be the code that you will see but the diagnostics will be similar for the other codes.

Bill
Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 PM
jthurik
Racer

well this turned out to be a huge issue and we found out the car was unsafe to drive. After troubleshooting the Ucodes we found a issue with the steering sensor. Upon investigation turns out the steering column was coming apart and the bearings had already jumped out of place and fell withing the column. I really have to thank Huffins Chevy and GM for not only finding this but getting the parts overnight-ed so this can be fixed early next week.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's scary.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
c5goodlife
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Horror story avoided. Wow!

well this turned out to be a huge issue and we found out the car was unsafe to drive. After troubleshooting the Ucodes we found a issue with the steering sensor. Upon investigation turns out the steering column was coming apart and the bearings had already jumped out of place and fell withing the column. I really have to thank Huffins Chevy and GM for not only finding this but getting the parts overnight-ed so this can be fixed early next week.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

wow thats crazy, my 2010 GS showed me that message all winter, now i havent seen it for two months, probably should have someone check it out ASAP. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Vital Velocity
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

what parts did they change out ? I had a similar story where someone did a cam swap and didn't disconnect the steering column so it pulled the bearing out of place right where the swps goes. the swps was just sitting on the shaft and not reading anything.

I got the bearing back in place and a new sensor on but it's throwing c0253 immediately upon startup (before the car is even rolling)
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Vital Velocity

what parts did they change out ? I had a similar story where someone did a cam swap and didn't disconnect the steering column so it pulled the bearing out of place right where the swps goes. the swps was just sitting on the shaft and not reading anything.

I got the bearing back in place and a new sensor on but it's throwing c0253 immediately upon startup (before the car is even rolling)
4 year old thread and the guy who had the problem has not posted here for three years. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to answer.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Vital Velocity
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

You never know!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:53 PM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how the hell didnt this guy notice his steering column falling apart?!?!?

Get notified of new replies

To service active handling

Quick Reply: service active handling