C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 or 89 Octane?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by greengo
Anyone use a type of Octane boost? and if so whats the best?
Ive Used Prestone Octane Boost and notice NO difference!
Why???????????????
None are best and none needed.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 AM
mattcgoldstein
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all, I think the cop video was the best post of them all!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:08 AM
bigred6906
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever puts 87/89 into their vette while having 91/93 available is a cheap ***.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:18 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

This comes up so friggin' often, OP, do a SEARCH!! You will get the same BS, but would save a lot of clicks. But you have sucked me in...

Unless you believe there is a conspiracy between the car and oil companies, there is a reason the auto manufacturers dictate the octane rating suggested for your vehicle. It WILL FRIGGIN' RUN BETTER AND MORE EFFICIENTLY!!" And, WITH MORE FRIGGIN' POWER!

Plus, you buy a $50k to $70k sports car, and you are worried about a dime a gallon!? And, you are driving one of the most effecient MPG performance cars on the planet. C6 in the mid to upper 20's on the highway. On Premium!

Sorry to other posters, but I ignore, "My car runs fine on low octane pig sh#t gas." No offense, but I'm guessing garage queens, or few long haul road trips.

Sorry for the rant, but couldn't resist.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by WMark
This comes up so friggin' often, OP, do a SEARCH!! You will get the same BS, but would save a lot of clicks. But you have sucked me in...

Unless you believe there is a conspiracy between the car and oil companies, there is a reason the auto manufacturers dictate the octane rating suggested for your vehicle. It WILL FRIGGIN' RUN BETTER AND MORE EFFICIENTLY!!" And, WITH MORE FRIGGIN' POWER!

Plus, you buy a $50k to $70k sports car, and you are worried about a dime a gallon!? And, you are driving one of the most effecient MPG performance cars on the planet. C6 in the mid to upper 20's on the highway. On Premium!

Sorry to other posters, but I ignore, "My car runs fine on low octane pig sh#t gas." No offense, but I'm guessing garage queens, or few long haul road trips.

Well said ! I firmly believe that some say they run 87 just to start sh*t .........
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth - mixing regular and super 50/50 will normally promote more power than each of the octanes standing alone. I have proven this many times on an engine dyno with 10:1 compression engines. The specfic gravity increases , allowing leaner jets and more timing.

So - on your next empty tank , fill up half and half.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

If you can't hear the knocking then your stereo is turned up too loud. Use what is recommended by the factory.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Street Rat
If you can't hear the knocking then your stereo is turned up too loud. Use what is recommended by the factory.

"I hear ya knock'n ........... But ya can't come in ........"
Old 10-28-2011, 03:24 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG4206
For what it's worth - mixing regular and super 50/50 will normally promote more power than each of the octanes standing alone. I have proven this many times on an engine dyno with 10:1 compression engines. The specific gravity increases , allowing leaner jets and more timing.

So - on your next empty tank , fill up half and half.
With pump gas,, race gas is a different animal, the lowest octane that does not cause pre-ignition, or cause the computer to retard timing will create the most horse power.

If you are mixing 87 and 93 50/50 the octane would be about 90, seeing the engine calls for 91 you are probably getting it pretty close to optimum for the engine.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LDB
It only works to reduce mileage when low octane is used in a car designed for high octane.
... and reduce power. Doesn't make any since to buy a performance car, add performance exhaust and then introduce lower octane fuel that forces the computer to detune the engine to protect it. The lower octane will not hurt your engine because the computer won't let it, but you will lose horsepower. To each his own, but whatever you do, don't do mods to increase performance and then cancel it out with lower octane!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:30 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

First off, I run premium (usually 93 here) exclusively in the C6 because I paid for 436 horsepower, and I want all of them. For ME, I totally agree that saving money on gas on an expensive car doesn't make much sense.

That said, people who use a lower octane probably do really have their car run fine. It's designed to run "fine" on lower octane, that's why they say it is okay to use. Also, while in theory reduced timing could alter gas mileage, in many modern cars it seems to not be a noticeable change either way. I've done a few highways test in the daily driver just to see, and no change. That said, the daily driver gets premium as well outside of that trial, I want all the horsepower I paid for in that car as well.

I think we can only conclusively say you will lose power with a lower octane, and on a day to day basis, most people can't notice the difference between 430 and 420 horsepower anyway. I wouldn't see why we say it would be more efficient or "better", at least not without some real evidence.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

I've used the lower octane (reg unleaded) a couple of times with no significant loss or performance.

I tend to always use the highest octane premium though. After all, if I'm going to avoid being seen in a car I can actually afford, I might as well avoid being seen pumping low octane fuel at the local 7-11 as well.

It's largely a self-esteem issue I think.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

you buy a $50k to $70k sports car, and you are worried about a dime a gallon!?

It took a long time till someone finally said it, thanks for the laugh...

These are like Zaino threads, a total waste of time, guys who run regular aren't going to change and guys that run premium are going to anyway because they honestly believe they would hurt there beloved cars if they did not ( you won't by the way)

How many posts till this thread dies 100?

And when will It reappear, oh, about a week to 10 day...
Old 10-28-2011, 05:15 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Geeez, I hope I never come up behind you
If I were a cop this is what I would do to you lmao

good vid!!! bully for that officer too!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

reminds me too of the posts that asks "whats the cheapest tire out there I can get........"

come on..

I was a United States Racquet Stringers Association certified stringer for years.. ran the business in the bottom of my house... somebody would show up after just spending 150 - 200 bucks on a new racket.... then "whats your cheapest string?"................. hey... LOL!!!! like a car with tires, that racket is only going to play as well as the strings allow it...

Get notified of new replies

To 87 or 89 Octane?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I don't understand why someone would pay for a high performance/premium car that recommends premium gas and then opts to save a buck or two by putting regular in the tank.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs

I was a United States Racquet Stringers Association certified stringer for years..
Okay, okay... wait a minute..... just a sec........... hold on...

okay, I'm over it now. Well, except for the obvious question as to who the... okay, hold on.... Racquet Stringers Association.. wait....wait....

okay, I'm done again. Who did you guys hire to handle crowd control at your conventions?

I'm so ashamed at myself....

Thanks, I needed that.

Point well taken though.

Somehow I just wonder what my grandkids might think as they sat on Gramma's lap and asked what Grumpa did during the war in Iraq and she told them that he was a certified raquet stringer. God help me... wait wait....wait... I know this isn't as funny as i'm making it out to be. I'm so sorry....

Forgive me... it's just... well forget it.

I think I'll erase this. As soon as I catch my breath.....

Please please, any moderator reading this thread, please feel free to banish me to someplace where they don't play tennis... Please... hurry

Last edited by last901; 10-28-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454
I can't believe anyone would by a "performance" car and then reduce it's performance to save what? A few pennies?

Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by Sabre34
I don't understand why someone would pay for a high performance/premium car that recommends premium gas and then opts to save a buck or two by putting regular in the tank.
My exact point in post #19. I'm still shaking my head. It has nothing to do with whether you could cause damage but the mindset totally bewilders me.

Quick Reply: 87 or 89 Octane?