C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for cheapest smoked tail light covers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 AM
kingdady
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azschmeh
Rance03,
I just ordered a set of vinyl tints for my C6 from http://subject9.com/ (found him through Ebay). They haven't arrived yet so I can't speak to the quality, and I know you said you didn't want tint, but the price is right: Taillights (incl. 3rd 'idiot' light), reverse lights, and front and rear side markers = $26 shipped. I also ordered tints for my front fogs for an extra $6. He has both a light tint and a darker tint. Seems like a good guy in the emails we've exchanged, too. If you're looking for something that you can take off to return the car to stock eventually without spending a paycheck or two, I'd give him a shot.
Also bought from Subject9 on ebay they are actually pretty decent and are a little complicated to put the taillights on but once on they look good.. i put the side markers and 3rd brake lights on with no problems at all.. good deal for 26$ thats all i know
Old 11-04-2011, 03:02 AM
kingdady
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
. if someone wants to get a spoiler for there car do you recommend taping that on too?
ummm.. the guys at westcoat corvettes and another company sell spoilers that you dont gotta drill.. they are put on with 3M tape lol.. just saying..
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kingdady
ummm.. the guys at westcoat corvettes and another company sell spoilers that you dont gotta drill.. they are put on with 3M tape lol.. just saying..

He'll wanna paint that on too

Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr

He'll wanna paint that on too
why such negativity toward my reasoning for good asthetic value? i just want the car to look nice. even if i had a volkswagen i would refrain from using something as tacky as a stick-on mod. in jersey it wouldnt hold up in the rain. you speak as if i am being completely unreasonable here.

i think i paid $120 to have all 4 corner lights and the 5 break lights painted and clear coated. nothing to come off in the elements, no visible seams, and the lights retain the streamline stock appearance without the added dimensions of a plastic cover. this seems to be the common way to color the lights in the area and from what i observed at local car shows.

the other common technique is the plastic tint which is stretched and heated to fit and applied at tint shops. but this is more for someone who wants to return to stock say after a lease expires.

some may argue that the benefit to using a non-permanent method is the avoidance of getting a summons from police intervention. but that is the risk you take modifying a vehicle and removing the light covers on the side of the road is most likely not going to sway the officers opinion since the violation has already occurred. so since we are debating which method is best and not whether or not to darken the lamps, it is in my opinion that the best look is the painted method.

on a side note, volkswagen actually noticed a lot of their cars being modified in this area and has since offered darker looking lights that appear tinted from the factory. and it is not a stick on!

Last edited by child_of_fire; 11-04-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
why such negativity toward my reasoning for good asthetic value?
You're kidding right??

Read back a ways. It was *you* that started the "negativity toward my reasoning for good aesthetic value" by assuming that my acrylic overlays were the same poor quality as the ones you tried.

I have no doubt that you didn't like them since you said you could see the tape, but mine are not the same (as the photo showed.) As I said, IMO the black-out overlays I installed are the higher end of film & paint since I have compared mine side-by-side to the others.

I actually do have a heavy, dark film on my 4 corner markers. I didn't like the acrylic versions at that time, although I think they've been improved since I tried them in 2007. The paint, although not bad looking if applied correctly, was too permanent IMO. I knew I could quickly pop-off the overlays and scratch off the film in a pinch, but I was unsure about how quickly I could revert to stock if I had them painted.

Anyway, I'm just having fun. Sorry if it seemed too serious

As a wise man once said... "don't sweat the small stuff - and it's all small stuff!"

Old 11-05-2011, 02:28 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keyplyr
You're kidding right??
ok no problem. i purchased the rpi designs one and they looked quality but it didnt like how you could see the tape up close even though it was clear. your car looks good.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Judd G
Advanced

Originally Posted by azschmeh
Rance03,
I just ordered a set of vinyl tints for my C6 from http://subject9.com/ (found him through Ebay). They haven't arrived yet so I can't speak to the quality, and I know you said you didn't want tint, but the price is right: Taillights (incl. 3rd 'idiot' light), reverse lights, and front and rear side markers = $26 shipped. I also ordered tints for my front fogs for an extra $6. He has both a light tint and a darker tint. Seems like a good guy in the emails we've exchanged, too. If you're looking for something that you can take off to return the car to stock eventually without spending a paycheck or two, I'd give him a shot.
How did they install orders tail light covers go? Are you happy with them? Is there double-sided tape involved and if so can you see it through the covers?j
Old 05-14-2016, 03:46 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Judd G
How did they install orders tail light covers go? Are you happy with them? Is there double-sided tape involved and if so can you see it through the covers?j
This thread is a few years old.

The covers he ordered are vinyl, they are stickers and not attached with tape. It's hard to put them on right without looking cheap and bubbling. They are cut and made to stretch to fit. I had them on a car before and they are all junk. No vinyl for me ever. I ordered the covers from RPI (Acrylic) and VERY happy with them. They are awesome.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Judd G
Advanced

The acrylic covers are attached with tape, correct? Any issues with them ever coming loose?
Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Judd G
The acrylic covers are attached with tape, correct? Any issues with them ever coming loose?
Judd,

Yes, they are attached with CLEAR 3M tape. No issues whatsoever even in the hot sun for the day. I highly recommend them. Trust me, I'm a perfectionist.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Just wondering out loud here, what does the law say about tinting brake lights, or do they say anything??
I like the look, even have tinted film on my headlights but brake lights I want as bright as possible. I was follow a ricer recently that was totally blacked out, everything, it was daytime and I could barely see the BL.
if you were rear-ended I'm wondering about legality
NSF
Old 05-14-2016, 10:43 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Just wondering out loud here, what does the law say about tinting brake lights, or do they say anything??
I like the look, even have tinted film on my headlights but brake lights I want as bright as possible. I was follow a ricer recently that was totally blacked out, everything, it was daytime and I could barely see the BL.
if you were rear-ended I'm wondering about legality
NSF
If you take DOT approved tail lights and alter their light output by tinting them, you could be in some 'legal' trouble, either via insurance coverage or possibly a liability problem legally.

I think it might vary slightly from state to state, but in general a rear brake light must be RED in color. (I'm not sure if that is referring to the actual lens color or the light output by the brake light) Also, they must be clearly visible from 500 feet when lit, and have a light reflector that reflects light.

I had some dark tinted LED tail lights (looked black) and you could still clearly see red brake lights easily but I decided to go with a fairly light tint so the brake lights still looked red, even when the lights were not on (just to be safe).
Old 05-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Beltfedbob
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't waste your money on the Lamin-X film, it's junk and looks like ***.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Beltfedbob
Don't waste your money on the Lamin-X film, it's junk and looks like ***.
Why do you say that ??
I have it on my Camry fogs in yellow and the Corvette headlights in gunsmoke. Film is thick (12MM) and goes on pretty easily. I admit to scratching the headlight film because I used a squeegee hard edge but that's my fault Otherwise I think their film is very good quality
NSF
Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a set of these static cling covers and they look good go on easy and I have never had them come off except when I take them off to wash the car.

http://www.corvettepacifica.com/prod...-light-051-13/
Old 05-17-2016, 01:48 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I ordered a set for my Z06, and had mixed results.

My side lights flew off within a couple hundred miles. My tail lights looked good, but I could see the tape if looked at closely. My fog light covers half broke off pretty early on, but were darn- near impossible (6 + hours) to remove the remaining plastic.

If I were to do this again, I would use a spray product for smoking lenses, not a press-on cover of any sort.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:01 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I have an unopened complete set of the subject 9 tinted ones I don't want. If you PM me I will send them to you for free. I bought the Oracle tails and side markers (costly but worth it to me), so if you decide you want them they are yours.

Oracle tails

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for cheapest smoked tail light covers!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Judd G
Advanced

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Judd,

Yes, they are attached with CLEAR 3M tape. No issues whatsoever even in the hot sun for the day. I highly recommend them. Trust me, I'm a perfectionist.
Thank you. I do appreciate your input! Would you mind putting up a picture of the rear?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy these Pre-cut for C6 lights.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-lights.html

Last edited by Never-Enough; 05-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Beltfedbob
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it's because I have window film on my house windows so was expecting the film to be somewhat optically correct. If you grade it on that aspect then the film is poor. It came rolled up in a cigar shape package so they are wavy from the get go. If you like the quality, fine but they are not something I would stick to my Corvette and I don't have a Camry so I'm out of luck.

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Why do you say that ??
I have it on my Camry fogs in yellow and the Corvette headlights in gunsmoke. Film is thick (12MM) and goes on pretty easily. I admit to scratching the headlight film because I used a squeegee hard edge but that's my fault Otherwise I think their film is very good quality
NSF

Quick Reply: Looking for cheapest smoked tail light covers!