C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who has had to do a GM buy back please comment

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep all of you docs. I think it would be advisable for you to discuss this with the Chevrolet Rep via the dealer. Let him know what has happened and this needs to be resolved asap. I have gone thru the Buyback thing 2 different times. And yes I won both times. Its a very very detaileda difficult process. From my experience if you get the GM rep involved now you will have better chances of getting the problems resolved. Maybe you and the Rep can agree on using a different dealer. The point is you want this resolved and now before you go thru the Lemon Law. Good Luck...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Some states are different, but usually if the car has been attempted to fix 3 times for same issue, or out of service more than 30 days.
Talk to a lemon law attorney in your state. You will get better advice there than here.
I went thru a buyback with a 06 Envoy Denali. In Utah they get 3 chances to fix the issue or 30 days in the shop. I had both with mine which was a radio noise that varied with the engine rpm. Utah requires that you deal with the dealer first. It took months for the deal to get done. GMC actually called me and asked what I thought about the vehicle. After one hour of talking to her things happened fast and the dealer flew me up to Worland, WY to pick up my new Envoy Denali.

I hope to never go thru it again. Check your state laws and don't switch dealers until you find out it won't affect the lemon law.

Be prepared to pay "normal wear and tear" for the mileage anywhere from $0.20 to 0.50 a mile.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Personally, I would appeal to the senses of the service manager. A simple email with the OP's text should do it. Well maybe a little admonishment at the end.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I agree with Vito.A. I would make sure this is all well documented. I'll be documenting it as well.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by Vito.A
Recommend you first document your issues by contacting GM cutomer service and starting a file. 800-222-1020

If you can get his number, then contact the GM service area representative. He will be able to point you to the best dealer in your area and offer good advise.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:01 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Update car at dealer for 3 days. They are shocked that battery wont take a charge at all after 5 hours. Have you put a new battery in yet? They tried to jump it to move the car and could not do so, they had to push the car around. They couldn't get it to turn over at all now. Car is sitting waiting for there "super corvette tech". You know every dealer has one. who shall look into it on Monday. I hope for the best.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:16 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck with this. I hope they get it fixed Monday.

I know how you feel, driving a car which might die at any moment, and being afraid to go on a long trip.

Many years ago I had a Ford Taurus which went through 5 alternators and a few batteries in 2 years. The problem was eventually solved by replacing both the alternator and battery at the same time -- one can kill the other.

Also I'm having some grief with my '08 Corvette, which is now on its THIRD battery (It may be more because I bought it used). Thats not good for a 4 year old car. The most recent replacement was few weeks ago. The battery was sulfated (rotten egg smell). Overcharging may be the reason.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

GM needs to rethink the whole Corvette sales and service process. With the C7 coming out in two years they should make Corvette a stand alone brand. Not every Chevy dealer should be aloud to sell them. Dealers should be required to have at least two Corvette techs and two Corvette qualified sales people to sell them.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Keep us posted on the coming details please.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Keep us posted on the coming details please.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
GM needs to rethink the whole Corvette sales and service process. With the C7 coming out in two years they should make Corvette a stand alone brand. Not every Chevy dealer should be aloud to sell them. Dealers should be required to have at least two Corvette techs and two Corvette qualified sales people to sell them.
I agree that the Corvette should be serviced by a specalized mechanic. Ford manages to do it with the SVT, and it seems to work well for them. Unfortunately, most SVT owners I know have to drive an hour plus to have their vehicle serviced
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
brianz51ls3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a chevy cavalier daily driver bought new had a mold smell that wouldn't go away they took it about four times trying to fix problem even changed the seats finally they bought back vehicle, well I took sticker of that car off another new one which was fine the gm east coast regional manager came and there was no problem. I couldn't believe it went so smooth.it had 4500 miles one it!
The following users liked this post:
ronkellogg (09-10-2017)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Well today was unbelievable, you cant make this up. I called dealer early in morning left a msg my service person was away from his desk. I call again at 3pm asking about my car. Have you found problem? how long etc. The guy says oh did you get my voicemail, YOUR CAR IS READY. I said nobody has called me all day. {they wrote my phone # wrong}. They say it was a bad ground from starter to fuse box. They replaced and crimped the wires, traced it all down and its good . I said ok great , was the battery replaced? No it falls into spec. I remind them this is the 3rd time im back for repairs and had to jump the car 5 times now. I said I want a new battery period. He says let me check with service manger and ill call u right back. OK here is where it gets good. He calls me and says they have a little problem. We went to move your car and it WONT START. I said good thing im not on my way to pick it up. Now what ? We will start back on it first thing in the morning and get back to you. Is that ok? .....Like I have much of a choice.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 AM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Gosh.....maybe you should just run the whole darn universe.

Aloud????
Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Justin? Chevy Cust Svc? is he still on here?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

brianz51ls3,
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with us. We like to hear this type of feedback.

Justin

Originally Posted by brianz51ls3
Had a chevy cavalier daily driver bought new had a mold smell that wouldn't go away they took it about four times trying to fix problem even changed the seats finally they bought back vehicle, well I took sticker of that car off another new one which was fine the gm east coast regional manager came and there was no problem. I couldn't believe it went so smooth.it had 4500 miles one it!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

AORoads,
I'm always here....lurking. I always document things like this and more often then not contact OP directly via private message. Thanks for your concern though.

Justin

Originally Posted by AORoads
Justin? Chevy Cust Svc? is he still on here?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Reading threads like this beyond painful. Guy is called his dead car is fixed and ready for pick-up after X times back to the dealer and then they say they can't start the car to move it, dead again. Unbelievagable

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone who has had to do a GM buy back please comment

Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

and thank you for your diligence, Justin.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:34 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Update, The dealers service writer called me this afternoon and apologized that the car is not fixed. He has advised me that they are in contact with GM directly and have made a case number and will be in contact with there tech department to try and resolve my issues. I will know more in the morning.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 AM
NospdLimit
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Cliff's notes of OP's problem...
2011 GS convertible with 2700 miles.
Dealer replaced low beam headlight and ballast.
Now the car won't start after a few days.
Dealer checked out car...says everything looks OK.
Pickup car from dealer... a few days later, car won't start again.
Dealer keeps the car for 3 days to re-check everything.
Dealer says battery and alternator are fine, but starter is bad.
Pickup car from dealer...after 2 days car won't start again.

I know you're frustrated, but don't hit the panic button yet. The buyback process is not a walk in the park. And why do it if you can get your problem fixed?
  1. It's not clear from your post...does your car not start because the battery is run down?
  2. What is the battery voltage reading on your DIC when the car won't start?
  3. Looking at your service paperwork, has your battery actually been load tested?
  4. Did the dealer do a parasitic draw test?

You made a comment about your voltmeter readings being somewhat erratic. I use a ScanGauge in my daily driver Pontiac to monitor the car's voltage readings. The readings are not always in the traditional 13.5-15 volt range you would expect. Often I see readings at 12.6 (battery voltage) that would have me concerned, but that's the way this car seems to operate. Maybe your GS is the same way?
OP let us know what happens! This has to be frusterating. Not trying to thread jack but if you see voltage readings at 12.6 engine running something is wrong..

Last edited by NospdLimit; 11-09-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone who has had to do a GM buy back please comment