C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who has had to do a GM buy back please comment

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Car is still at the dealer , Thursday now makes it one full week. General Motors customer service is now involved. I was on the phone for 45 min with them today. They are contacting the dealers and collecting the work orders and have set a case file. Car is still not fixed. Im waiting for a update tomorrow after 11am as to what action will be taken next. Wish me luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default I have been through (successfully) a GM Buy-back

In 2007, I was successful in having GM buy back my 2004 cadillac srx, and as part of the settlement I got a 2007 cadillac sts.

PM me if you want to know what I had to do to make this happen.

Brian.

Originally Posted by KABAL182
Car is still at the dealer , Thursday now makes it one full week. General Motors customer service is now involved. I was on the phone for 45 min with them today. They are contacting the dealers and collecting the work orders and have set a case file. Car is still not fixed. Im waiting for a update tomorrow after 11am as to what action will be taken next. Wish me luck.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Medicdiver
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Any update for end of week? Did you get the car back yet?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:05 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

I still do not have the car back , I wont until monday. I got to speak to the tech in person about my car and asked what work he did. He said traced the ground to the fuse box and the relay and connector. He replaced and re-crimped the wire at fuse box. This was when the called and said come get the car, but called back 15 min later and said car was dead again. He was advised by the factory tech line to "shorten the starter bolts by a 1/4 inch" as they may be to long giving a false torque reading and the starter may not be grounding properly. He went over the whole system and cant find a draw since doing the repair. When he was telling me this, he could tell by the look on my face that I wasn't fully buying this. He said He didn't believe it himself and never has heard that before. He said to me the starter was solid on the block no play etc. But now its starts fine showing a solid 14.2 amps and no fluctuation on gauge.
We now have been waiting 2 days for gm to approve a new battery, because current one checks out ok..{ cars has been jumped 5 times at least and not sure how many times when car was at dealers.

So over all , A week to cut the mounting bolts for the starter to the block. Now I should be good. I feel like im in the twilight zone.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Sounds like the battery. Maybe get a new one and eliminate this as the issue-- or, maybe it will take care of it.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... This was when the called and said come get the car, but called back 15 min later and said car was dead again. ...
It sounds like either the battery could not hold a charge very long, or there is a parasitic drain.

On page 9-388 of the 2008 Y-Car Service manual there is a procedure for doing a 'Battery Electrical Drain / Parasitic Load Test'. (Should be similar for your 2011). You might want to ask the mechanic if he has performed that procedure.

When I tested my car, with everything off it had a 20 mA (milliamp) drain which is in the normal range.

My best guess is that your cars problem is intermittent, which can make it very difficult to track down.

I really hope they can fix this for you. If not, they should take ownership of the problem and buy it back.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:11 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

As far as a drain issue, car was tested this time as it still is at the dealer. I never had any problems , until headlight was changed and ballast. Car has been a problem since those repairs were done. I never had any starting issues at all. Car now has a new starter. When the car died at the dealer the tech said there was no ground at the starter when testing it. Now the car is drawing 4 mili amps as per the tech.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
  1. It's not clear from your post...does your car not start because the battery is run down?
KABAL182,

When your car wouldn't start, did other electrical devices work? Is so, then if the dealer fixed the bad ground to the starter motor it should solve the problem and you most likely dont need a new battery.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brettbolt
KABAL182,

When your car wouldn't start, did other electrical devices work? Is so, then if the dealer fixed the bad ground to the starter motor it should solve the problem and you most likely dont need a new battery.
The first couple of times yes, and car would slow crank but not turn over.When jumping ,it would fire right up. Last time it got stuck , one click no crank dead and would not take a charge. This happened at the dealership also....$60k car out service for weeks. I want a new battery, its cost them $60 bucks.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The first couple of times yes, and car would slow crank but not turn over.When jumping ,it would fire right up. Last time it got stuck , one click no crank dead and would not take a charge. This happened at the dealership also....$60k car out service for weeks. I want a new battery, its cost them $60 bucks.
So they replaced the starter motor at great expense. And now they're balking at replacing the battery.

For what its worth, my '08 is now on its 3rd battery! I just replaced it last month because it had sulfated and filled the cab with a rotten egg smell. I think it got overcharged somehow.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I would buy a new battery and install it.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:41 PM
BPaul
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon law process

I am actually going through this process now with a brand new Yukon Denali. I bought this vehicle as a daily driver for my job and it has been in multiple times for rattling/ringing noise when my 6.2L goes from V8 to V4. It is also accompanied by heavier vibrations. Anyways most lemon law lawyers offers their services free to the consumer win or lose the manufacturer pays the bill. Also, state to state is different as to what qualifies. GM came back with final repair request they took it in didn't fix it, took it back next week to try something else, didn't fix it. That was the sixth repair attempt and now we proceed to request for repurchase. All in all its taken four weeks from the time I contacted a lawyer to now. I am waiting to hear back from my lawyer on what GM is going to do now. It is definitely frustrating when you spend upwards of $70,000 on a vehicle and it to have to be in the shop at all.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

That does suck. Good luck.

I feel like I got sucked into the Twilight Zone! Did the OP ever get his car fixed??????

Last edited by Vet Interested; 07-06-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:49 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I am at the the end of my rope with my car. It is a 11 GS convertible with 2700 miles. It has had to go to the dealer twice to fix a headlight. Now this was the dealers fault in my opinion. Went there they replaced low beam headlight, but then said oh "you need to come back it needs a ballast , we dont have it in stock".I said then why did you change the light? Next week back for ballast. Now all my problems start. I purchased car in june never had any starting problems until dealership replaced ballast. I have the car a week and i had the car die on me had to get jumped. I bring car back getting low volt readings on way to dealer. They say everything is ok after 2 hrs. I argue cant be etc, they give me car its dead in 3 days again. Back to dealer, I say i want a new battery as this one has died twice. They have car 3 days to check over everything.I said I want you to recheck the headlight work as all problems started after you touched my car. They claim its a bad starter, alternator and battery are fine. It's not a daily driver, I picked up car after hours at dealership. It has 17 miles on it since i left it and dont speak to the tech directly not happy but if car is fixed im willing to let it go. Volt meter is showing low again and is erratic runs from 14.2 at start up down to 12.6 while running and back to 13.7 amps..after 2 days car is dead at my office as of last night. Im calling roadside as to document this again even though i could just put a battery pack on car and jump it myself. I have been stuck 3 times now with my car. PS ITS NOT GOING BACK TO THE SAME DEALER. I have 2 other post when car was being fixed.
I didn't read all of the posts, but I don't think that you have a lemon law car candidate yet, a few no starts is not going to do it

Quick Reply: Anyone who has had to do a GM buy back please comment