C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin air filter, is there one in the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Garibaldi
I posted this above but received no response: How difficult is it to remove the oil lines to get at the cabin air filter on a GS?

Thx
GP
I believe they're actually PCV lines, so no oil flows through them and you won't make a mess when you disconnect them.

Although he said how to do it in his post, it was rather esoteric and not easy to identify as instructions:

....Pull little plastic tab in slot and pull loose just push back on.

Butt.....it's that easy!!!

If you have the dry sump tank, there are actually 2 lines to remove to access the filter door, and I remove both of them and push them out of the way. It takes about 5 seconds to remove them both, and about 1 second to push them back on when you're done.

You don't need any tools - just slide the tab to the side and pull the tube off the oil tank. To reinstall, just push it on. Open up your hood and you'll see that it's perfectly obvious how to do it. They're plastic tubes, so you can push them out of the way to access the filter door.

To open the filter door, just flip up those 3 metal loop thingies, then put your fingers on the "ledge" on the top of the door and pull it out/forward, then you can pull the door up slightly to release the "hook" thingies that hold the bottom of the door in place, and remove the door. Then you can just pull the filter out.

Replace the filter, hook the "hook" thingies on the door on the bottom of the opening, push the top of the door back into place, push the metal loop thingies down to hold the door closed, and you're done.

It shouldn't take more than a minute to have the filter out, and another minute to replace it, reinstall and latch the door closed, and a second or two to push the tubing back onto the oil tank - very simple!!!

Edited: I just went out and tried it on my ZR1. I didn't even have to remove the PCV tubes. With them in place I could easily unlatch the door and remove it, and the filter slid out and back in under the tubes while they were still attached to the dry sump tank.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 11-10-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-10-2011, 01:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Here are some quick pics from my iPhone, with a flashlight for illumination. They are of a car with a dry sump tank, which all have the battery in the cargo compartment. If you have the battery in the engine compartment it is forward enough to give you room to access the filter door.

Below is the door, and you can see the 3 metal loops/clips that hold the door closed - flip them up to release the top of the door for removal, flip them down to hold the door closed. You can see the tubing is still attached to the dry sump tank and there's plenty of room to remove/replace the filter:

Below is the same area with the door removed, and you can see the end of the white filter:

if you do need to remove the tubes, here are 2 pics. The first is with the tubes attached, and the 2nd is about 2 seconds later after I removed them - no tools needed:

And below is the door. You can see it comes completely off the opening. On the bottom of the door (right side in the picture) you can see the "hooks" that go over the bottom of the opening and hold the bottom of the door in place. When removing/replacing, I can only open the top of the door about an inch, then I have to pull it up to release those "hooks" and slide it to the side so I can then pull it completely out of the way:

So.....it's a very simple procedure to open the door and replace the filter!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 11-10-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Here are some quick pics from my iPhone, with a flashlight for illumination. They are of a car with a dry sump tank, which all have the battery in the cargo compartment. If you have the battery in the engine compartment it is forward enough to give you room to access the filter door.

Below is the door, and you can see the 3 metal loops/clips that hold the door closed. You can see the tubing is still attached to the dry sump tank and there's plenty of room to remove/replace the filter:

Below is the same area with the door removed, and you can see the end of the white filter:

if you do need to remove the tubes, here are 2 pics. The first is with the tubes attached, and the 2nd is about 2 seconds later after I removed them - no tools needed:

And below is the door. You can see it comes completely off the opening. On the bottom of the door (right side in the picture) you can see the "hooks" that go over the bottom of the opening and hold the bottom of the door in place. When removing/replacing, I can only open the top of the door about an inch, then I have to pull it up to release those "hooks" and slide it to the side so I can then pull it completely out of the way:

So.....it's a very simple procedure to open the door and replace the filter!!!

Bob
Thx, Bob. You answered all my questions. I appreciate it.

GP
Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure to use a carbon impregnated cabin filter.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The filter track bends up a little toward the windshield. The GM filter is very flexible to get it in and out. I bought an aftermarket filter at Autozone, it was very stiff and didn't bend. A lot tougher to get in without it folding up.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by weathermaker
The filter track bends up a little toward the windshield. The GM filter is very flexible to get it in and out. I bought an aftermarket filter at Autozone, it was very stiff and didn't bend. A lot tougher to get in without it folding up.
Yes, you want to help the new filter bend a little as it slides into the holder. Be gentle.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
Make sure to use a carbon impregnated cabin filter.
And here's a fun thread that I did about exactly that:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-yes-duh.html

Quick Reply: Cabin air filter, is there one in the C6?