C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't the C6 sound like a Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Mustang's sound amazing but that doesn't make them fast and that's all I really care about.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 PM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different exhaust setups give different sounds. Some are loud and some, not so loud. You can go to some of the different exhaust and muffler websites and they have links to examples of how different mufflers/exhaust systems/catbacks sound. The Vette doesn't have the same factory exhaust options that a Mustang does. You have to take it to that next step yourself.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wazslow
Guess that would depend on which Mustang you're talking about

Ive had 10 Mustangs and 2 Vette's, and the Mustangs definitly sound better. I think an older 5.0 with aftermarket exhaust is one of the best sounding cars ever!
My 88 5.0 GT exhaust sound was awesome, something my 07 Vette even with the NPP open does not come close to a match. I'm not comparing cars, I love my Vette but the Mustang's deep aggressive sounding exhaust was definitely superior.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM
kev1949
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it isn't a mustang.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Mustang's sound amazing but that doesn't make them fast and that's all I really care about.
I can't say I'm on the same page here....
The sound (or lack thereof) that a car makes has a lot to do with the driving experience.
If the base Corvette at least made a nice grumble or growl once in a while, that would be nice.....But it doesn't.
The NPP exhaust is a nice option for many people.
Fortunately, they make aftermarket exhausts to meet almost every taste.
Thank you Borla!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
panteravetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by carl3989
The other day a Mustang pulled up next to me and I was audibly enthralled with its exhaust. It wasn't the volume. but rather a richness in it's sound that exuded power. The thought came to me, that here I was sitting in a Vette with more HP than the car next to me, yet one couldn't tell that from the sound of the C6's exhaust. Mind you I have the Z06 exhaust with the bi-mode open most of the time. And yes I know the NPP is a little louder, but that reinforces my point which is it is not the level of sound volume, but rather the deeper rumble of the Stang which gives a more guttural resonance. This strikes the ears as being the biggest, most powerful engine. Perhaps you could explain it to me. Why can't the Vette sound as powerful as the Mustang? Is it due to our more restrictive cats?
I know I'm about to incur the wrath of my fellow Z06 owners but I agree with you, there is nothing better than the sound of a Ford V8. Just being honest as I have owned both Fords, Chevys and Dodges. That said, I wouldn't trade my Vette for any current Ford except the GT, and even then I would have to think about it as the Vette is much more versatile. I will duck and cover now, caio
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mustangs have always sounded great , always ...
I know cause Ive owned 3 late model Gt's and Cobras.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
V8Juice
6th Gear

I've oogled over the sound of Mustangs at traffic lights as well; so, before I got my 08 coupe (with NPP), I took one for a test drive. Lunchbag letdown; as good as it sounded on the outside is as bad as it sounded driving it...sort of like the Pinto chassis it was originally built on. Of course, the rest of the driving experience is no contest. I have my NPP switched open most of the time and with the Ventmaster keeping the hatch cracked open I'm in heaven listening to the LS3 snarl and pop even at part throttle. No, it doesn't sound like a Mustang, but it very much sounds like the superior ride it is.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I just want it quiet as I kick back and listen to the tunes. Yes, I'm an old fart. I had the loud Mustang and Challenger in my younger days but I got old. It happens.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
TopCat
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the firing order. The choice of firing order causes the propagating sound waves of one cylinder to be partially nullified by the reflected sound waves of another cylinder. The firing order, I believe, was changed for the LS-1, but it could have been an earlier engine. I don't recall, but it's documented and can be Googled. The older 350's and 327's from the late 60's and 70's have the same firing order as the current Mustangs, I believe.

Why did the General change the firing order? I can only guess and it probably has to do with an increase in performance, even if only incremental. A little here, a little there, and you end up with some notable horsepower

Cheers!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I can't say I'm on the same page here....
The sound (or lack thereof) that a car makes has a lot to do with the driving experience.
If the base Corvette at least made a nice grumble or growl once in a while, that would be nice.....But it doesn't.
The NPP exhaust is a nice option for many people.
Fortunately, they make aftermarket exhausts to meet almost every taste.
Thank you Borla!
Why would we be on the same page when I'm talking about performance ("fast") and you're talking about perception ("driving experience")?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
z28koda
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris12.8
How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

Gotta love Joe dirt!

B&B fusion works for me
Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

I didn't read the entire thread so please forgive if someone already posted this:
In ADDITION to the firing order...I read that it is the length of the exhaust port. The distance from the exhaust valve to the end of the head is MOST of what makes that signature Mustang sound.
While I'm certainly no Mustang fan, I can agree that the Engineers at Ford got the sound right on the Mustang, and most honest people here will admit it too.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM
joep56
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've previously owned a stock C2 fuelie coupe and a lightly modded C6 with Corsa Sport exhaust. I currently own a stock 2003 50th Anniversary Coupe and a 1970 C3 454/390 with 69 factory side pipes. Oh yea, and a 2012 Mustang GT/CS, which sounds absolutely great out of the box. Admittedly, the C5 will sound better when the Mid America X-Pipe and Quad Power system is onboard, maybe even better than the Mustang. I'm a Corvette guy through and through, but to those of you who trash Mustangs, I say go drive a new GT or Boss 302, then wipe the silly grin off your face and get over it. I like them all for their own unique aural, visual, and driving characteristics -- I'd be really hard pressed to part with any of the three.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

speak for your onw car, my Vett makes Mustangs sound pretty weak when they pull up next to me.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Vette sounds fing mean!!! What mods?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
I read that it is the length of the exhaust port. The distance from the exhaust valve to the end of the head is MOST of what makes that signature Mustang sound.
Yep, that is what I stated in a more succinct/lazy way. The exhaust ports make the Mustangs growl.

Get notified of new replies

To Why doesn't the C6 sound like a Mustang.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Binski
Racer

Had a 2002 Mustang GT with Borla exhaust. That was the best sounding car I have ever owned, not really fast but it sounded great. I,m in my 60's and have had a lot of cars over the years for comparison. I am pretty sure it related to the engine design.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
Vette sounds fing mean!!! What mods?
My mods are at the bottom of my sig on my first post

Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne O
"Why doesn't the C6 sound like a Mustang."

Too a large extent it's because GM builds the Corvette for an older clientele....not the same demographic as the Mustang aims to capture. Obviously, everyone has their own opinion as to what sounds best but IMO the Corvette exhaust sounds anemic. For me, sound is an integral part of the performance car experience. The NPP is a step in the right direction but its 'gimmicky' and still doesn't sound all that great. If you’re not happy with the exhaust sound look into a quality exhaust by Corsa or Borla. Long tube headers will increase power and enhance the sound quality even further. If you long for that true muscle car sound you’ll have to ‘cam’ the engine. You don't have to suffer in silence.
As usual Wayne, you have the most concise answer!

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the C6 sound like a Mustang.