C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Headliner Ripping on 2011 C6, 3rd time!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Convertible Headliner Ripping on 2011 C6, 4th time!

***UPDATED: well, now it's FOUR times....current info at bottom of this post***

Like the title says, I have a 2011 C6 Convertible with the power top, bought it this March 26, 2011, it has around 6K miles. This is the 3rd time, yes, the THIRD time the headliner has caught in the pinch point and RIPPED a hole in the liner! This is not wear/tear of the liner, this is the liner getting caught in a hinged pinch-point and ripping.

A little history (copied/pasted from other posts here):

1st occurrence, Friday, July 1, 2011, ~2K miles: I was putting the top up and heard a ripping/tearing noise. Stopped operation of the power top and saw that the liner was caught in the frame. Reversed operation and pulled the liner away from the frame...too late...it was RIPPED. Went by the dealer (Classic Chevy in Grapevine) and the service writer ordered a new liner, said it should be here in two weeks or so, a local top shop will do the work and to expect two days of the car being in the shop. While waiting for the liner to come in the liner kept on getting caught, both sides are ripped. The liner came in a few weeks later, they fixed it in 2 days or so, provided loaner car, good as new, picked it up on July 19. Or so I thought. The service writer mentioned that he had fixed a few vettes due to wear marks but NOT for ripping/getting caught, mine is the first they have fixed for this problem.

Here are the pix from mine (from the first episode). Here is how the rip happens, you can see the headliner actually getting caught in the trim piece, where it hinges. I stopped the process midway just to snap this pic, this is the driver side:

Driver side (just above the rear part of the side window):

Passenger side (just above the rear part of the side window):
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4369969_n.jpg

2nd occurrence, Saturday, August, 27, 2011, ~4K miles: So.....just a tad over a month since the new headliner....and guess what? Ripped on the passenger side tonight (Aug. 27) while putting the top up in Nashville, it caught/pinched. Reversed the top and pulled the headliner gently out of the pinch...torn. LOL...that's all I can do. Wife and I are on the way to Bowling Green, I'll be sure to let them know on Tuesday (never did run into any folks that could/would do something about it). Definately a **** poor deal. Oh, did I mention that it's a 2011 with 4k miles? At least it's under warranty! And yes, I'll probably sell/trade it before it expires!!! Went through the same procedure, top ordered, took 3-4 weeks this time, fixed in 1.5 days, had loaner, thought it was fixed for good! Nope!

3rd occurrence, Tuesday, November 22, 2011, ~6K miles: Putting the top up after lunch today, caught/ripped again! Phone call to dealer, the service writer I had been using has retired, talked to another person, said I have to bring it by and let the service manager look at it (appointment made for Monday, Nov. 21), they will get the ball rolling, he is aware that this is the 3rd time....looking like a lemon, eh?

So, I'm sure they will fix it. But, looking at past occurrences, I think it will rip again around 8K miles, in, let's see.......January??? Sheeeesh! If it ends up happening a 4th time I'm thinking that the Texas Lemon Law will be mentioned/used if needed. Not a fun road, I'm sure.

***UPDATED***
4th occurrence, Wednesday, February 2, 2012, ~7K miles: Putting the top up after getting to work this morning, caught/ripped again! Calling the Texas DMV Lemon Law Hotline to explore my options.

I'm pretty sure that after FOUR times a reasonable person can draw these conclusions:
#1 - the dealer/convertible top shop is incompetent and does not have a clue how to fix it permanently (I do not think this is the case, but apparently they have *not* been able to fix it correctly/permanently).

#2 - the vehicle's convertible top/headliner mechanism is defective and cannot be fixed. (this is what I believe it is).

#3 - I am a complete idiot and do *not* know how to operate a power convertible top (hey, it's idiot-proof, right? LOL).

So, who has experience with the Lemon Law, especially in Texas? Trying to figure out my options. Replacement? Stay with a convertible? Go with a coupe? Gotta do some thinking/research.

Last edited by Captain Buddha; 02-02-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: was 3 times, now 4th, updated info
Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

I have a small list of defects on my 2011 also. Crap like this sure takes the fun out of what should be an enjoyable purchase. Maybe try another dealer to see if they can figure it out. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

I really do enjoy/love the car, you're right, it takes some of the fun out of it...not hating on GM, the dealer, or the car....just wanting it to be fixed permanently! Thank you BTW!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
I really do enjoy/love the car, you're right, it takes some of the fun out of it...not hating on GM, the dealer, or the car....just wanting it to be fixed permanently! Thank you BTW!
I love mine too but I sure wish I was one of those people that post and say " I have never had any problems with mine". I guess thats what the 3/36 is for.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

in the past, I know I've read that this was caused by rough edges and that sanding it down was the answer (replacing the liner, of course, afterwards). I'm not sure that's the solution to your issues. it may be that something is just slightly out of alignment in the folding mechanism that is causing this to repeat. however, just for your own knowledge, it might be good to feel around the edges of the struts/arms to see if there are any rough edges that need sanding.

short of that, it sounds like if the dealer wants to keep this from continuing to happen, they may need to either take the top mechanism apart, or replace it completely. that's just my impression of this.

and it could be that the chevy customer service person will pop in.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

The edges seem ok, fairly smooth, no burrs/roughness that I detect. If this keeps up then maybe a coupe is the better choice next time around, but I just love the roadster look of the vert.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
The edges seem ok, fairly smooth, no burrs/roughness that I detect. If this keeps up then maybe a coupe is the better choice next time around, but I just love the roadster look of the vert.
imho, something's not lined up correctly.

I've had four coupes before my current 'vert, and I won't go back. Love the "instant sunshine."

My suggestion would be to take it to the dealer's body shop and have them check it out.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Yep, Something is not right. With that said, I would take it to the dealer so he can make note of it. While you are waiting for the new top to arrive, I would buy some of the iron on patches and place in the area where it is catching. Just curious if it will prevent the snagging during the top movement. Obviously a bandaide but I would be curious to know if the more slick patch would prevent is from catching or if would still rip. Of course only do this after the dealer has seen the original damage. My bet is it just snagging on the soft liner like a finger hang nail. Good luck. Curious to hear the results. Before my liner wore a hole in it, I ironed on the patches and can see they have saved me a trip to the dealer. If and when these patches wear out, I can remov them and put new ones back on. Its pretty tough material so I don't see that happening. Unless you are looking for the patches you don't even notice them.

Last edited by Corpsvette; 11-23-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Errors
Old 11-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

I was thinking about the patches and if it would help...looking at the top mechanism and the liner - when it is in the process of coming up - it is almost like a fold of the liner sticks out and into the hinge area, as the top keeps coming up the liner gets pinched in the pinch point and rips. It's almost like the liner needs to be made out of a more durable materials - maybe the patches would stiffen the liner up and *keep* it from folding into the pinch point? Hmmmmm......I'm not good with an iron....have to convince the wife to try it!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Your going to get some on here that will say not to iron but glue the patches on to prevent from melting the liner. I did cheat by using a modeling iron I use to cover my model airplanes on the lowest heat possible until the patch stuck. I figured this way, as mentioned in my previous post, I could remove the patch and put a new one on if necessary. I think once it is glued, it not being replaced. Just my thought.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been through your problem so I feel for you. Your still under warranty, so have the headliner replaced. You will have a one year warranty on the new liner. Make sure that the edges of the garnish moldings that come in contact with the headliner are free of burrs etc. If you can stop the top momentarily as it comes up this will allow you to check that the liner is not traped in the B-pillar joint before proceeding. If it tears again before the year is up on the first repair, let warranty take care again. There is one owner in the forum that went throught three liners that way. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Bill - I wish this was just the first time, this will be the 3rd new liner...LOL...that's all I can do!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not pick up on the fact that this is your third liner. The only thing I can offer is to pause the top on the way up to make sure that the B piller joint does not grab the liner.
Some of the sewing supply places sell a self sticking black muslin the can be used to cover the hole. It doesn' t solve the problem for long.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM
mikefili
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had 3 headliners replaced on my 09 Vert in less than 1 year of use. First one in less than 1000 miles. this problem has been widespread since the C6 first came out, crazy that Chevrolet would rather replace headliners than repair problem' I wonder how many owners had to pay out of pocket for the repair. just not fair to all the owners. The problem caused me to never drop the top, imagine a vert that you can not use because each operation was one opening closer to having to change headliner again. I got rid of the car because of it.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Yeah, I do not want the car if this is going to be a continual headache, will be pursuing Texas Lemon Law if I have to. I do hope the dealer/GM gets it right and I do not have to pursue that option.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Sounds like the new GM is the same old GM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 AM
BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once had the same thing happen to mine. Ripped a hole like that on the passenger side. The true fix is to make sure that the backside of the header rails are sanded smooth. I have no issues since this was done. The first headliner made it less than 5 months.There are GM fixes on record,have the Dealer follow them.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Headliner Ripping on 2011 C6, 3rd time!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Wow! That really is a rip. Was kind of expecting the little abrasion thing that has been covered so many times and that I actually have a bit of on my vert. I admire your attitude though, and wish you luck getting a permanent remedy.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Thank you!

Took the vette by the dealer this morning, service manager looked at it, said he would do some research/order the parts. I did mention (in the most cordial way possible), "This is the third time it has happened/been repaired on a new car with ~6k miles, you know how this works, I'd rather there not be a 4th time and have to go down that road...." He agreed. We will see how this goes.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Update: 12-21-2011, Service Mgr called and said the part is in, appointment made for 12-28 to have it repaired at the top shop, loaner car scheduled, etc. When asked what would be done to keep the problem from happening again he said he has in his possession a lengthy bulletin/guide regarding the top and all of its intricacies. I hope this works.

**edited because I put the wrong date, have an appointment next week, December 28, 2011**

Last edited by Captain Buddha; 12-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Convertible Headliner Ripping on 2011 C6, 3rd time!