C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your suggestions on a GREAT car insurance company

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Go with collector car insurance, i.e. Hagerty. Most will cover new Corvettes, as long as you have an insured "everyday" car for each adult in the household. Collector car insurance is agreed value, so you determine what your car is worth (within reason). That becomes the amount for which you are insured, not the usual blue book lowball.
If you noticed the op said his car is a daily driver so that immediately eliminates Hagerty or Grundy. I had Hagerty for several years and recently switched to Grundy. You must list all available vehicles at your disposal and clearly define what the vehicle is you wish to insure. Both will closely inspect the vehicle and decide whether it will be accepted or declined.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I have been a USAA member for 43 years with never an issue. If you can qualify, that is my recommendation.
X2, 25 years for me!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Skitree04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Usaa

USAA is fantastic!!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

AAA
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
If you noticed the op said his car is a daily driver so that immediately eliminates Hagerty or Grundy. I had Hagerty for several years and recently switched to Grundy. You must list all available vehicles at your disposal and clearly define what the vehicle is you wish to insure. Both will closely inspect the vehicle and decide whether it will be accepted or declined.
Actually, I believe he said that he drives it for pleasure only, not as a daily driver. Hagerty insured mine, no questions asked, with minimal restrictions. And when our '63 coupe suffered an engine compartment fire, Hagerty was terrific. All we needed to submit was a copy of the fire dept. report and sign a 1-page claim form. They worked closely with the shop that completed the restoration.

Whether it is Hagerty, Grundy, or another carrier, I strongly suggest looking into a collector car policy.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

<< Maybe ask him...
Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 AM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

USAA for 35 years and as a dependent under my father's policy (major USAF retired). Nothing but good things to say about the company insurance, credit card, investments. USAA is an anomaly in the big company arena. Friendly, personal service. They make you feel like you really count! A legacy I am proud to pass on to my children.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 AM
RaleighTL
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want agreed to value I belive you must go with a speciality carrier. I chose Hagerty based on the excellant service that they gave my son. Hagerty "took over" the repayments for his repairs (1962 F-85) even though the damages resulted from the other drivers fault (insured by Progressive). They said they had more experience in repairing classic cars.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by boltvette
Actually, I believe he said that he drives it for pleasure only, not as a daily driver. Hagerty insured mine, no questions asked, with minimal restrictions. .
You're right, I misread that. One of the Hagerty "minimal" restrictions is absolutely no errands allowed which is one of the reasons I switched to Grundy. So don't plan on going to the bank, store, doctor, picking a child up at school and on and on.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
nrt69
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

theres no such thing as a great insurance company. IF they treat you nice its because your paying them excessive amounts of $ to do so. kinda like the mafia, lawyers, and liber.....
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Keefer07
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroman1
As a insurance adjuster with a major company here in Texas I recommend to use the big companys: State Farm, Allstate, Farmers. Remember you get what you pay for! The smaller companys will nickel and dime you to death!!

I deal with insurance companies on a daily basis. Stay away from Geico, Progressive, and AARP/Hartford (Personal Experience).
Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I have hagerty covering my 3 corvettes and 4 trans ams. grundy and heacock did not come close to hagerty prices.

for those who keep using state farm, farmers, aaa, ect wake up and smell the coffee. there is way better prices and better service than whats provided by those big names. And with hagerty you have agreed value.

with hagerty they cant be your daily drivers and must be garaged.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
COL-INF
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

USAA 44 years. Three cars, one boat, two trailers, two houses for me. Total of five cars among three kids (you can pass the USAA membership to spouse and children.)

Superior service and rates.

See avatar

Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Well as anticipated you guys and gals came through for me again.
I am actively contacting most of the companies that were mentioned. I'm getting some bargain basement pricing with the company I have now. I'm scared that is just what I'll end up with when and if I have an accident. That's the reason I'm shopping for some new coverage. I understand that I'll be paying more for the "agreed value" insurance. I simply don't need any surprises in my time of need. Thanks to all who put in their .02. This place is awesome...
Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody beats USAA for price or service. If you qualify, thats the way to go.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Hurley1
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

USAA
Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Grant Elis
Racer

3 Vehicles, and house. All were insured for years with State Farm. After buying New Vette I decided it was time to shop with a local small town broker. GET THIS. Came back with a quote for apples to apples insurance for Home and 3 Cars including Vette.

MY SAVINGS WAS $1060.00 a year!!!!!
IF YOUR NOT SHOPPING WITH A DIFFERENT AGENT EVERY 2 YEARS YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE MONEY TO BURN. I DO NOT!

Get notified of new replies

To Your suggestions on a GREAT car insurance company

Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I have been a USAA member for 43 years with never an issue. If you can qualify, that is my recommendation.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
On a previous thread, one person stated that USAA was tracking cars like State Farm is doing with OnStar.
They aren't tracking mine - I have two with OnStar
Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I have hagerty covering my 3 corvettes and 4 trans ams. grundy and heacock did not come close to hagerty prices. for those who keep using state farm, farmers, aaa, ect wake up and smell the coffee. there is way better prices and better service than whats provided by those big names. And with hagerty you have agreed value.

with hagerty they cant be your daily drivers and must be garaged.
When I switched frome Hagerty to Grundy I increased the value $10K and saved $500 in the process, so different coverages for different people.

Quick Reply: Your suggestions on a GREAT car insurance company