C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 fuel odor day after fill-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

DeesCorvette2008,
I'm really glad everything worked out for you at the dealership. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how everything worked out.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 AM
kb13kb13
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well dang it! I'm really kicking myself in the butt for not doing my research and finding this thread before taking my vette into the service dept yesterday!

My '08 has this exact same issue with the gas smell thing. For about a month now, anytime I fill up the tank (or pretty much anytime that the tank is at least like half full) the interior of my car reeks of gas fumes!
I took my car in for new brakes yesterday and decided to go ahead and have them check out the gas smell while they were at it. The dealership had two different technicians look at my car to try 'n find a gas leak or pinpoint the source of the smell. Neither one had any luck. They gave up and gave me my car back. And they charged me $57.50 for checking it out. The service invoice they gave me says - Tested the system. Raised unit and checked, none found. Ran an evap test, pressurized the system and found no leak.

Should I have paid the $57.50 or should that have been something covered under warranty??

The gas smell/fumes were so strong on the drive home from dealership this afternoon (and I even had the windows cracked!) that it was making my eyes burn. No bueno!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
DeesCorvette2008
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2008 fuel odor day after fill-up

Oh yes, take that thing back to the dealership! As you could see others had this same problem and the dealership wouldn't take the time to look into it further and kept sending them home. First, my dealership couldn't see anything because where it was leaking it had dried by the time I got to the dealership. I printed out this thread and took it with me to the dealership and they kept the car overnight (fuel tank over 1/2 full of course) and bingo, they saw it/smelled it the next morning, pulled the fuel tank and found the left side fuel pump problem. I had to rent a car for them to keep mine overnight and they told me if they found a problem then it would most likely be covered under the 100k warranty including the rental. If they didn't find anything, I would be charged to drop the tank and my rental. I didn't want to screw around with this and decided to get the rental because I knew my only chance would be for them to smell it for themselves in an enclosed space overnight and find it.

Make them keep it overnight and get your $57.00 back as well when they fix it under warranty, rental and all. They had my car 2 days.

It is dangerous to have your car with fuel leaking. Any spark in your garage could ignite. My husband wouldn't let me park it in the garage until it was fixed. Tell your dealership your concerned and won't take it back until its fixed. Don't mess around with this and I'm glad you found us even if it was a day late. How many miles does your car have?
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Dee
Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
kb13kb13
Heel & Toe

I'm gonna shoot an email over to the service rep right now with a printed copy of this thread attached. I'll see what he says.

And to answer your question, my car has a little over 40k miles on it.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kb13kb13
I'm gonna shoot an email over to the service rep right now with a printed copy of this thread attached. I'll see what he says.

And to answer your question, my car has a little over 40k miles on it.
Remind him that all fuel and fuel odor leaks are covered under the emissions warranty which as I recall is 80k and 8 years.

There have been others with the same problem on C6's and GM has always covered the repairs needed.

Last edited by RJRSW; 12-29-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM
ThunderWheels
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What the heck is GM thinking?

This is the kind of basic issue that makes you mad. I just started smelling the fuel on my 2008. I use it as a daily driver and have 98k miles. Now why wouldn't this be a recall or at least a service notice??

So there is the potential to 1. suffer in the car from a build up of fumes or 2. possible gas fumes hazard. I realize the danger my be very small but why take the chance. Now I have to pass out of pocket for something I should have been warned about long ago!!

Pardon the pun but yes, I am going to make a big stink out of this one, GM needs to fix my car for free on this issue!!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
DeesCorvette2008
Advanced

I'm still thinking this warranty may be 100k but not totally sure on this. Anyhow, don't mess around with it because it will only get worse and the later you wait the more resistant the dealership may be. Its still possible if its not under warranty, they may still go ahead and fix it under warranty since you're not that far out and its a hazard.

Yes, would have been nice to let everyone know through a service notice or recall as this I'm sure is expensive to fix out-of-pocket!

Get to the dealership and let us know what happens. I'd also be curious to know if/what other problems you've had considering the miles you have on it just for my own knowledge.
Dee
Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderWheels
This is the kind of basic issue that makes you mad. I just started smelling the fuel on my 2008. I use it as a daily driver and have 98k miles. Now why wouldn't this be a recall or at least a service notice??

Pardon the pun but yes, I am going to make a big stink out of this one, GM needs to fix my car for free on this issue!!!!
This problem would normally be covered by the Government mandated 8 years/80,000 miles Emission Warranty the same as the gas cap is for example.

I do not believe there are any recalls effecting 2008's. TSB's you would normally have to pay for yourself unless still under warranty.

This is a site to look up all Recalls and TSB's for any vehicle:

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM
ThunderWheels
Racer

I will keep you guys posted. I am not looking for any hand outs. This is a potential hazard that I believe should be taken care of by GM. A worn out belt is one thing but getting gased in your car unexpectedly is another.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
ThunderWheels
Racer

Default Follow up!

I contacted Friendly Cheverolet in Dallas on Friday and the service manager told me to bring the car in and if it is as I say it is they will take car of it for free. He stated there is no need to contact GM as they can make the decision to take car of at the dealership and would be happy to handle for me. I have been taking my car to Grapevine Cheverolet but they offered no help in this instance although they did give me a number at GM to call!

I dropped the car of this morning and with a full tank of gas. You could smell the fumes as you walk up to the car! Will keep you posted.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
DeesCorvette2008
Advanced

Very Cool! I figured they'd help you out. I'd hate to think how much it would cost out of pocket! I printed out this thread with everyone's experience and took it to my dealership for the technicians to look over. They thanked me for it. Make sure they leave it in an enclosed room overnight with over 1/2 tank full of fuel to make sure they've fixed it.
Good luck!!
Dee
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
itsred
3rd Gear

My wifes 2008 corvette just started smelling and showing a wet spot of gas running down the side of the tank. The car was purchased 8/27/08and has 32006 miles on it. She took it down to the local stealership, where it was purchased new (Palm Chevrolet), and they told her it wasn't covered under warranty, and would cost 2300.00 to replace it So, I did some research and found this site. It seems there is a emerging problem with these tanks. I go down to The dealership and tried to tell them it should be covered under the emiisions warranty with supporting data from this site. No go , they still say out of warranty. I make the statement that it would seem like a fuel tank would last longer than the tires. The service guy looks at me and asks if they are original factory tires. I told him the rear tires were but the front ones had to be replaced at my expense because the front end was out of alignment from the factory and I had to pay for an alignment. He said that they just set them up different at the factory!!! So now I figure I will be screwed again by this lying stealership. Question is , any ideas on advancing a complaint for getting the fuel tank replaced? i've escalated up to the chevy customer center but no response and they will have to get back to me.:
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DeesCorvette2008
I will tell you they do their best to get the items covered under warranty especially when it comes to Vettes. Their service techs get good $ on warranty items.
My Vette tech recently told me the warranty labor rate is seven dollars less than the normal rate.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 AM
DeesCorvette2008
Advanced

Default 2008 fuel tank problem

Hi,

It is definitely covered under 8yr/80000 miles emissions warranty and don't let them tell you any differently. My dealership in Tucson Arizona didn't even blink an eye once they knew the fuel tank had to be replaced. They said it would be covered under warranty and it was. Somehow you need to get to a higher power and get this resolved as its not only frustrating, its dangerous.

Let us know how it goes.
Dee
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM
itsred
3rd Gear

This is unbelievable. I had denial all last week and telling me no warranty coverage. I put a post on here and all of a sudden customer care calls me. They are going to cover it at no charge to me. This is crazy,but good for me. I wonder how many people paid for something that should be covered.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
DeesCorvette2008
Advanced

That is awesome! Yes, its very interesting but Chevy customer care reps cruise this forum and get involved when needed. I sure hope your stealership learns a lesson. The warranty should even pay for a rental for your wife while its being fixed so make sure to check into that.
Glad it all worked out!!
Dee
Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 PM
questions
4th Gear

I believe I may have the same problem. If I have a full tank and park it in the garage the fumes are overwhelming. After finding this article I parked it with less than a half and no fumes at all. I am located in the New Orleans area and have a 2007 with 28000 miles. Any suggestions on what the best approach that would lead to warranty coverage? Does anyone know if an official position has been taken by GM? Anyone have a preferred Chevy dealer in the area?

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 fuel odor day after fill-up

Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
DeesCorvette2008
Advanced

Hi,
Sure sounds like the same problem we all had and the tank will have to be replaced because its not going to fix itself. Living in AZ, I can't recommend any dealerships but I'd go down to my local Chevy dealership and tell them what's happening. If they are in the know, they will cover this under warranty. I'm not sure if GM has posted any bulletins about it by now or not. If you have any problems with coverage, there are GM reps that cruise this website and help people on their issues with their dealerships, so be sure to post here if they are being difficult.

Good luck!!
Dee
Old 05-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Marktexas
Intermediate

Dang glad I took time to search, I've been working an outage and started smelling gas around the driver's rear tire about a month ago but was too busy to look into it. then today the "service Fuel System" message pops up. I take a look around here and find this thread along with many others about this problem. Guess the car is going to the Service Dept and get fixed. Going to miss my daily driver, I've put 25k on it in the last 9 months, much cheaper than the 4WD Duramax to drive. Love this car.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM
derv3tt3
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My 08 has just started doing this so I'll have to check with the dealer next time I go in.

Quick Reply: 2008 fuel odor day after fill-up