C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Stripe Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Grand Sport Stripe Install?

I had a set of vettestripes put on my car first time by a shop, they were crooked and it drove me nuts each time I looked at them. Needless to say, they are off the car.

I just got a second set from freak decals and I am sitting on the fence of just trying to install them myself or try to schedule a body shop I know that will put them on correctly from past experience. Problem is I have to travel the rest of this week and I am not sure I can get in the shop before the snow flies and the vette is put up until spring.

Does anyone one have a site that can walk a first timer like me through on how to get these on so I could read through and see if I should even entertain it?
I have read a ton of threads on here and not had much luck finding good step by step.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

We had ours done a few weeks ago and like you have I searched a lot to try to find that info. Long story short I couldn't find it. My advise to you make time or get help to get the car to the shop and have them do it for you. It will be money and time well spent.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
mtrainer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dealer do mine - take it to a dealer that is used to selling grand sports with the heritage package. Mine came with the car (in a box) but I sat on the fence for about 6 months before deciding to have them applied. Mine turned out perfect.

Mark
Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

No way I would do these myself. I put some smaller size company logo stickers on the company truck and as careful as I was they are less much less than perfect.

Leave it to the experts.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at a dealer today and checked out some Grand Sports. It looks like the stripe ends are centered over the top of the arch of the front wheel well and the forward corner of the front stripe is about an inch behing the headlight.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

It's actually alot easier than it seems. I did mine myself last spring. You clean the wax off with alcohol then you spray the area with a mixture of water and a few drops of liquid dish soap.(small spray bottle) The soapy water gives you plenty of time to locate the decals and then you squeegee the water out from under the decal. I used a plastic putty knife from Home Depot (.59) The key is not to do it dry. There are plenty of sites on you tube that show the proccess. Look under decal installation. After you start getting the water out from under the decal it starts to mould to the fender.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Ahh decal...for some reason I was thinking they are stickers....Ya I would be more inclined to DIY on a decal reather than a sticker
Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to do this kind of stuff when I worked for a Dealership.
First you want to clean the area well to get the wax off as much as possible. I like to use a soft clothe with a little alcohol on it, for my final wipe.
Then I lay out the area with painters masking tape. You know the blue or green stuff that doesn't stick real hard.
The top edge goes over the Ridge on the top of the fender. Lay that strip of tape on first. Measure both sides to make sure it is the same distance from the edge. Next look at some pictures of the GS and get an idea on where the point will go. If you are off a little, no one will ever know. Just make it the same on both sides. You can keep moving the tape around until it is where you want it. When all is perfect. Wipe the area down with alcohol one more time. No dust or lint.
Read the instruction on the decals. I am not familiar with the brand you have. If it is applied with water, I put a drop of liquid dish soap in the water. I make sure everything is very wet. The deacal will slide around easy. The bubbles will rub out easy. Start in the middle and rub them to the edges. Some use a plastic sqeegy, but on small areas like this, I think my fingers work fine. Keep rubbing until all, ALL, water and bubbles are rubbed out from under the decal. It will dry very fast.
Good luck.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

I would have to go along with many of the others that say take it to a body shop or dealer that has the experience with installing the stripes. To me the cost would be worth the piece of mind.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha, thanks guys.
I will take to the body shop and have them do it, or if I can find someone else better in the interim.

Yeah, had a vinyl graphics shop in Villa Park do it in spring and they bottom line did a terrible job. Crooked and not even remotely where I told him to put them.

Found Freak Decal on here through another member and they have been great. Decals look awesome and are 1 piece. I will post pic's of course once I get these on pending I can get the car lined up before the snow flies. I have work travel right up to Xmas and it isn't looking likely to happen before spring as this time last year the snow thrower was already going.

If I had a friend that had done it and could walk me through it hands down I would knock it out in my garage. I just need to see it done once and I am good. I am already down $150 from the first ship mess up. Hopefully the second time will be it.

Last edited by Red89gt; 12-12-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Stripe Install?

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Stripe Install?