C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car accelerates on its own.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Its never happened to me.

Originally Posted by gmr2010
When the engine is spinning slower than idle (say <15 mph in 4th gear) and I am still lightly on the brakes, it seems like it wants to accelerate. I realize my mistake and get it into a lower gear. Happens very rarely
"15 mph in 4th gear" I can't even guess how you'd do that but I'm glad it happens only rarely.

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Note that the floor mats are anchored to the floor by snaps on both the drivers and passanger sides. This is to keep the rug from sliding into harms way with aggressive driving.
My floor mats are only secured by grommets over small (floor) posts. The mat can become dislodged easily. For aggressive track driving it's better to remove the floor mats.

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
If your car is accelerating (really speeding up, not engine revving - there is a difference) while you are stepping on the brakes, then you are either pressing the gas pedal thinking it is the brakes - or - you are pressing both.

The gas pedal goes to teh floor, the brake pedal does not.

In a 'tug of war' between the brakes and the gas pedal, the brakes always win, as brakes are approx. three times more powereful than the engine on trhe average car. Think about it, you can decelerate three time faster than you can accelerate, and in one-third of the distance.

Physics is your friend.
I don't know about that....I've had instances where I've damn near put the brake peddle through the floorboard.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Blob
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lizer1
WTF. What are you taliking about. Stuck accelerator? Why even start a thead like his? Get a life....
My wife hit a wall because she says the car accelerated when she hit the brake. She said the message on the DIC was "ABS Active"

I'm trying to see if this is a known problem with this car...thats why I started this thread.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Sometimes our minds have trouble remembering what happened during a rapid series of events, so she may have done one of these and honestly not remember her actions. These would explain the ABS message:

Hit gas & brake with right foot.

Hit gas with right foot and brake with left foot, if she is a left foot braker.

Floor mat, purse, or other item hit gas pedal.

Cruise control malfunction. In the 39k miles on our car, using cruise control frequently, I've had one problem. After setting the cruise at 90 mph (testing tire balance), I disengaged it with the brake. A few minutes later, stopped and shut down for over an hour. After restarting and using cruise a couple of times while driving, I hit Accel/Resume and it tried to resume the 90 mph from before. Using the brake, and later shutting off the car, should have cleared that speed from the memory, but didn't. Of course, her cruise shouldn't work at all below 25 mph. Shouldn't...

Persuming she's ok, did she buy you some flowers?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
And it was decided that it was almost all driver error.
My first thought. The idiots at 60 minutes cost Audi and more importantly, every person who owned an Audi at the time, a whole bunch of money. You couldn't give one away for a while.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Moonray13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
I'm pretty sure my car doesn't even have a "break."
Does it have a "peddle?"
Old 12-22-2011, 04:16 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
10 years ago are you kidding me? That Audi mess went down in the mid 80s, I remember watching it on 60 minutes.
60 minutes drilled a hole in the transmission to get that Audi to do unintended acceleration. Ba$tard$ cost me 5000 dollars on a Audi 5000 trade in. I still don't watch 60 minutes, hahaeddie
Old 12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
XmentalPilot
Drifting

Location: "Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gmr2010
When the engine is spinning slower than idle (say <15 mph in 4th gear) and I am still lightly on the brakes, it seems like it wants to accelerate. I realize my mistake and get it into a lower gear. Happens very rarely
This!!! Shift down OR push the clutch in!!! The ECM wants to keep the engine running!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:56 AM
eighty8playa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor mat sliding

Originally Posted by Blob
Has anyone had their car accelerate on its own when the brake is being applied?
I was leaving for work yesterday morning whenever my 2005 Corvette started accelerating after I made a left turn onto the roadway. I couldn't get control of the car, it fishtailed wildly, crossing all lanes until I hit another vehicle. Fortunatel, no one was injured...Name:  IMG_1672.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  2.38 MB
Name:  IMG_1673.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  2.76 MB
Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by eighty8playa
I was leaving for work yesterday morning whenever my 2005 Corvette started accelerating after I made a left turn onto the roadway. I couldn't get control of the car, it fishtailed wildly, crossing all lanes until I hit another vehicle. Fortunatel, no one was injured...
Keep practicing that for the judge to get it down smoothly.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

My Mom's old Mazda Tribute used to surge badly. Basically it was trying to do track launches at stop lights. Replaced the ECU and just about everything else. Turns out there was a recall about 10 year later. The cruise control cable guides would break and cause the cable to snag and pull the throttle open.

Quick Reply: Car accelerates on its own.