C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife gave me the go ahead.......sorta.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:04 AM
IFlyEm
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife gave me the go ahead.......sorta.

So the wife told me that could get my Vette IF I sold my snowmobile stuff.

Well considering I have sunk just shy of $100,000 in that hobby ($60,000 F-350, $13,000 Trailer, $11,000 Snowmobile, $7,000 Supercharger, $4000 in gear) and as of recent haven't been able to use it but a few times a year where I am at (Madison, WI) I can see her point.

So that stuff is going away. I am going to swap my truck for a Vette and buy a basic 1/2 ton truck for my daily driver.

Now come's the decision so many of you have faced. Which Vette to go with....

I have narrowed my decision down to either the Z06 or a GS with a blower. What do you guys think? I like the raw race car aura about the Z06 but also like feature like the Targa top on the GS.

How would a blown GS drive compared to the Z?

Looking at the numbers:

Callaway SC606 (606 hp) 0-60 3.8 / 1/4 mi 11.8@125.3 mph
Z06 0-60 3.6 / 1/4 mi 11.9@125.3 mph

Very close. Obviously the lighter car launches better but looks like the Callaway is walking away at the 1/4 mile.

I guess I am slightly leaning towards the GS since I can get a new one instead of a low mileage Z06. But even with the mods I am afraid I am going to regret not getting the Z. What sucks is that the dealer near me doesn't let you test drive the Vettes.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hang on bud, it's gonna be one of those threads!

You need to decide how much power you really need.
The GS suits me plenty.

BTW. Love your roads down that way!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:20 AM
IFlyEm
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Hang on bud, it's gonna be one of those threads!

You need to decide how much power you really need.
The GS suits me plenty.

BTW. Love your roads down that way!
My problem is my wallet generally tells me when enough is enough......or my CFO aka wife. lol

When I blew my sled I figured, awwww I'll never need more than 200 HP. Started out at 8 psi, then 10, then 12.....goes on and on. If race fuel was more abundant I would be looking for 400 hp. Instead I am sticking with 280 hp. Which isn't too bad for a snowmobile.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I would go with the un-modded Z given the offered choices, probably more reliable in the long run....
Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Both are good cars, can't go wrong with either a GS or Z06. And yup, Torchsport got it right, it will be one of those threads...

I had to make this same decision a few months ago, I personally gravitated towards the Z06 for a few reasons. Not everyone will find the same value in them as I did, but at a high level, here is why I went with the Z...

Cost & Value
-Used Z can be had for less or same as a new/used GS. More performance for less money? Sold.
-A Z may be a little older, but the car is practically the same from 06 till now. Nothing wrong with the earlier years to save cash. Lots of these cars were garage queens, so its not uncommon to find one with low miles available. They're practically still new. My 6 year old Z still has a new car smell to it.
-An older car will have already taken its big depreciation hit over a newer car. I also feel a Z would hold its value better if I chose to sell it in a few years (I get a larger % of my 'investment' back) than a GS would.

Performance
-LS7 seemed more 'raw' than an LS3. Higher displacement, more revs, more power, more torque. The LS3 is no slouch and a great motor, but a 427 is just freakin awesome.
-Lower weight, by about 150-200lbs or so. Aluminum Frame and Carbon Fiber panels/floor is pretty awesome.
-Engine cradle is lower down and further back, better weight distribution. Not a big deal for straight line performance, but for those that hit the twisties, every bit helps.

Other
-The original performance model. I have read posts about GS owners being asked if its a Z. Not surprising since the Z was the big boy with all the media and press a few years ago. Its just more recognizable to 'everyday car enthusiast'. With a Z, you can just nod your head. With a GS, it requires a little bit of explaining... 'it looks like one, but...'. That'll get old quick
-Stoplight test. Its a little silly, but I do this for just about every car I compare when making a purchasing decision. I picture myself in a car, and if the other car pulled up next to me, would I rather be in that other car? For me and my personal preference, I know if I was in a GS and a Z pulled up, I would be envious in a few ways. Can't say I'd do the same if I was in a Z and a GS pulled up.

Now, there are some upsides with going with a GS as many who went the other way will note...

-Possibly less expensive
-You get a newer car, or even brand new GS. With a new car, you get many of its associated perks. Being the first owner, 'fresh' warranty, knowing its full history, etc.
-Removable top as you mentioned
-Automatic is an option
-Convertible is an option
-Can mod for additional performance if desired (a Z can be modded too)

Anyway, good luck with making your decision. Like I said earlier, can't go wrong with either, its just a matter of finding what is most important to you. With my personal criteria, I'm happy with the choice I made and I'm sure someone who did the complete opposite is happy with their choice.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 12-29-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 AM
IFlyEm
Heel & Toe

Great input!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Both are good cars, can't go wrong with either a GS or Z06. And yup, Torchsport got it right, it will be one of those threads...

I had to make this same decision a few months ago, I personally gravitated towards the Z06 for a few reasons. Not everyone will find the same value in them as I did, but at a high level, here is why I went with the Z...

Cost & Value
-Used Z can be had for less or same as a new/used GS. More performance for less money? Sold.
-A Z may be a little older, but the car is practically the same from 06 till now. Nothing wrong with the earlier years to save cash. Lots of these cars were garage queens, so its not uncommon to find one with low miles available. They're practically still new. My 6 year old Z still has a new car smell to it.
-An older car will have already taken its big depreciation hit over a newer car. I also feel a Z would hold its value better if I chose to sell it in a few years (I get a larger % of my 'investment' back) than a GS would.

Performance
-LS7 seemed more 'raw' than an LS3. Higher displacement, more revs, more power, more torque. The LS3 is no slouch and a great motor, but a 427 is just freakin awesome.
-Lower weight, by about 150-200lbs or so. Aluminum Frame and Carbon Fiber panels/floor is pretty awesome.
-Engine cradle is lower down and further back, better weight distribution. Not a big deal for straight line performance, but for those that hit the twisties, every bit helps.

Other
-The original performance model. I have read posts about GS owners being asked if its a Z. Not surprising since the Z was the big boy with all the media and press a few years ago. Its just more recognizable to 'everyday car enthusiast'. With a Z, you can just nod your head. With a GS, it requires a little bit of explaining... 'it looks like one, but...'. That'll get old quick
-Stoplight test. Its a little silly, but I do this for just about every car I compare when making a purchasing decision. I picture myself in a car, and if the other car pulled up next to me, would I rather be in that other car? For me and my personal preference, I know if I was in a GS and a Z pulled up, I would be envious in a few ways. Can't say I'd do the same if I was in a Z and a GS pulled up.

Now, there are some upsides with going with a GS as many who went the other way will note...

-Possibly less expensive
-You get a newer car, or even brand new GS. With a new car, you get many of its associated perks. Being the first owner, 'fresh' warranty, knowing its full history, etc.
-Automatic is an option

Anyway, good luck with making your decision. Like I said earlier, can't go wrong with either, its just a matter of finding what is most important to you. With my personal criteria, I'm happy with the choice I made and I'm sure someone who did the complete opposite is happy with their choice.
That's why I bought my Z, I hate to wonder what if...
Good luck!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
wide one
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IFlyEm
My problem is my wallet generally tells me when enough is enough......or my CFO aka wife. lol

When I blew my sled I figured, awwww I'll never need more than 200 HP. Started out at 8 psi, then 10, then 12.....goes on and on. If race fuel was more abundant I would be looking for 400 hp. Instead I am sticking with 280 hp. Which isn't too bad for a snowmobile.
280 hp on a vehicle I'm guessing weighs around 350 lbs. You'll need a vette with 2500 hp to get a thrill like that.
I think you may want to mod your own. Why not start with a GS and make it the way you want.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 AM
utownal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

Cost & Value

Performance

Other

-Possibly less expensive
-Automatic is an option

Good info!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:01 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

look for a used 09 or 2010 z06 , alot of great deals with very low miles
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I suffered the same agony in '08 and chose the Callaway... never looked back. There are far fewer Callaways on the street than Z06's. Additionally, Callaway offers you the option of auto trans. and top off/down motoring. I've never tracked my car but would wager that it would run the pants off any stock Z06 around. From a reliability standpoint, I've never had an issue (after 3 yrs) or heard of any problems from other Callaway owners.

Not trying to downplay the suspension/braking or other attributes of the Z06, but (considering the comparable pricing) just don't see any reason to choose it over the Callaway...good luck and enjoy!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Just 4 2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bought a 07 vert new. Picked it up on Friday and drove it to lingenfelder on Monday. Picked it up 3 weeks later. Now have 38,000 mi on it ,not one problem. Just a great car. Thinking about getting a GS and will do museum delivery, then pick it up at local dealer and take it to lingenfelder again. Absolute a real treat. Plan on taking it to Europe for about 3 weeks. Can't wait. 75 years old and running out of time. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

What sucks is that the dealer near me doesn't let you test drive the Vettes.
Well I could fix that for you, PROVIDING, the weather stays nice & dry.

I'm 60 minutes from Madtown on 151.
Haven't stored the Z, yet. Will continue taking cruising our Kettle Moraine 'til the snow falls & stays. You'd be welcome to ride along, get a little seat time.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

So the wife told me that could get my Vette IF I sold my snowmobile stuff.

Well considering I have sunk just shy of $100,000 in that hobby ($60,000 F-350, $13,000 Trailer, $11,000 Snowmobile, $7,000 Supercharger, $4000 in gear) and as of recent haven't been able to use it but a few times a year where I am at (Madison, WI) I can see her point.

So that stuff is going away. I am going to swap my truck for a Vette and buy a basic 1/2 ton truck for my daily driver.

Now come's the decision so many of you have faced. Which Vette to go with....

I have narrowed my decision down to either the Z06 or a GS with a blower. What do you guys think? I like the raw race car aura about the Z06 but also like feature like the Targa top on the GS.

How would a blown GS drive compared to the Z?

Looking at the numbers:

Callaway SC606 (606 hp) 0-60 3.8 / 1/4 mi 11.8@125.3 mph
Z06 0-60 3.6 / 1/4 mi 11.9@125.3 mph

Very close. Obviously the lighter car launches better but looks like the Callaway is walking away at the 1/4 mile.

I guess I am slightly leaning towards the GS since I can get a new one instead of a low mileage Z06. But even with the mods I am afraid I am going to regret not getting the Z. What sucks is that the dealer near me doesn't let you test drive the Vettes.
Thank you for your interest in Callaway

I would like to encourage you to visit our Authorized Dealer, Bill Stasek Chevrolet in Wheeling, IL. Stasek is about 2 hours from Madison, WI and well worth the drive. See Bob Clegg or Brent Baker (Dealership # is 847-537-7000) and either can help with information about our cars and facilitate a test drive of a Z06 and Callaway SC606 Grand Sport Corvette for you to decide which is the best car for you.

I will send Stasek a heads-up, as to your interest in each and hope you give our car further consideration.

We deliver power, reliability, drivability, and emissions compliance, all bundled into an engineered package built to the o.e. level

In the meantime, here is a video from Motorweek when they reviewed our SC606 Grand Sport.

BTW, that Grand Sport, a 2010, now has over 114,000 miles and has NEVER had any mechanical issue That car has been well-doccumented on this site and many here have driven the car Reliable, drivable... Peerless in the industry

Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C6Joy
I would go with the un-modded Z given the offered choices, probably more reliable in the long run....
Our 2010 Callaway SC606 Grand Sport Corvette with 114,000 miles without any issue would suggest that to be mere speculation to think a Callaway couldn't go the distance.

In fact, I know of no other specialty manufacturer or tuner who has done this - or could come close to saying their car has been trouble-free, as our has been.

7 sets of tires,
18 oil changes
5 sets of brakes
340+ car washes

The Callaway SC606 is the "Energizer Bunny" of sports cars

Cheers
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Is the ride different?

A neighbor told me his brother had a Z06 for a while and then sold it because it rode rough. I didn't know if that was compared to another Vette (because the Z06 is more performance focused) or compared to a BMW like my neighbor drives.

Just curious.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by beepster
I suffered the same agony in '08 and chose the Callaway... never looked back. There are far fewer Callaways on the street than Z06's. Additionally, Callaway offers you the option of auto trans. and top off/down motoring. I've never tracked my car but would wager that it would run the pants off any stock Z06 around. From a reliability standpoint, I've never had an issue (after 3 yrs) or heard of any problems from other Callaway owners.

Not trying to downplay the suspension/braking or other attributes of the Z06, but (considering the comparable pricing) just don't see any reason to choose it over the Callaway...good luck and enjoy!
Ted,

Thanks for your positive comments. I remember our test drive in the summer of 2008 and your dilemma over the Callaway vs. the Z06. You have had your car now for several years and it's good to hear you remain pleased with your choice. Enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To Wife gave me the go ahead.......sorta.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Callaway the only way to go. Have had 4 vettes now, including a 2006 A6cpe that I put on a blower on. It was faster and had a more friendly ride than a Z06 (a great car also). Traded it for a 2011 Callaway Camaro. Although a great car, I missed driving a Corvette. My dealer took in a 2009 Callaway SC580 convertible low miles (7800) and after 5 weeks of on/off viewing, Well my avatar says it all. I traded back to the Corvette. Great ride (F55 optioned) Cyber Gray metalic, black chrome wheels. Just love it and as stated before, very rare to see on the streets. I was fortunate the weather over he holidays allowed me to drive it. Callaway Chris's across country road trip shows how reliable their product is. I may never break a 100K until after I retire and hit the road for my ultimate journey, Seeing the country in a Callaway. You can't go wrong.

Last edited by R50THC5; 12-29-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

If you want a blower get the Callaway, if you want a 427 get the Z06
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If you go to buy a new Vette; either GS or Z06, as yourself, which offers what I am looking for WITHOUT aftermarket mods?

I bet it will be the Z06. (NON-mod)

If you have to mod the GS to get to Z06 performance, why not mod the Z06 in the same way??? Whoa

Just wondering....why only mod the GS??? Can't the Z06 be mod as well???

Quick Reply: Wife gave me the go ahead.......sorta.