C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you program out/disable the 3 flashes of turn signal?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I'll admit there have been several times that I've triggered the 3 blinks, and then changed my mind about the lane change (blink first, ask questions later!). If you change your mind after you've started the sequence, you don't want to feel like that "jerk in a sports car weaving through traffic", so my inclination is to stop the blinking.

At first, my gut reaction was to pull the turn signal the other direction (which then triggers the sequence the other way....and accentuate's the "old confused guy in a sports car" stigma. I finally figured out what's been posted above about just passing through the clicks on the turn signal control stalk and returning it to neutral which will stop the sequence and usually in one blink (or less).

My issue is that my other cars don't have that feature. I find myself not signaling all the time in the family kid haulers because I nudge the turn signal and it doesn't start the 3 blink sequence. Which I guess makes me the "old guy who dreams he's driving his Vette even while he's piloting the mini-van!"
LOL, I can identify with all those scenarios.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I love the 3 blinks,saves time changing lanes,hit it and forget it.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DT455
I love the 3 blinks,saves time changing lanes,hit it and forget it.

Now that I have it, I hate that my Bimmer doesn't.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also love the three blinks. Now when I drive a car without it I feel cheated.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM
RJ98Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
No. In the State of California, you are required to signal for 5 seconds prior to a lane change. One blink does not get it.
Wow! I didn't know it was against the law. I try to always signal when changing lanes but there sure are a lot of people who ignore the law - or their turn signals are broken.

Robert
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the hell. Thought I'd throw in my .02 FWIW. I'll admit I didn't like it at first and it took some time to grow on me. Now I'd miss it if it weren't there. Just move the lever don't have to keep my hand on it and I know it will signal three flashes. Actually pretty cool. Now, if Gm would just give me back the lit orange dot indicator for low fuel!!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I like it and wish my other car had it.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jschindler
I'm with the others here - why would you only want one flash. Is there any downside at all to it flashing three times? It's actually funny you ask because more than once I've wished it flashed more than three times. I'd like about five.

I'm with you on this Jim. On occasion I'll initiate a second sequence.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

To my thinking, the 3 blinks isn't enough. Best technique is to start the signal, then start to move over and leave it on until you are steady in the other lane.

3 blinks isn't nearly enough, and some of the dodos out there need all the warning we can give them.

I just turn on the signal all the way or hold it down against the detent, leave it on until established in the new lane, then turn it off. My blinkers or the stalk switch will probably wear out sooner, but I'm willing to pay that price for the additional safety.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP: Aren't you glad you posted this question? Sorry you got the barrage you did, as I recall only one actually answered your question. <SIGH> That having been said -- I agree with everyone who said they like the way it is and wish their other cars did it, too!!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The three blink feature is really cool and if you attempt a lane change with fewer "blinks" you are inviting disaster, especiall since at least half of drivers on the road are totally preoccupied talking or texting on their cell phones rather than paying attention to their driving. Unfortunately, here in North Carolina the use of turn signals appears to be optional, and this option is seldom exercised by the locals, so you have no idea of their intentions. Of course the greatest abuse of turn signals is by those that think their use gives them the right to immediately change lanes regardless of car spacing in the lane they are trying to cut into. Again, here in North Carolina, a significant number of drivers leave at least one or car length spacing between their car and the car in front of them at stop lights, and then another car length of spacing to develop before proceeding once the light turns green, so changing lanes is seldom a problem. Unfortunately these drivers in effect take up at least twice the road space they should and thereby contribute greatly to road congestion, but apparently their isn't any law here against impeding the normal flow of traffic, just as their apparently isn't any law against not using turn signals to clarify your intentions; but hey, it apparently works for them.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other senario is for an HPDE event that requires a turn signal for a point by, IE Daytona. Could be confusing with 3 flashes for each point by!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Personally, I like the three blinks. The lever resistance is just perfect for my clumsy hands also. Tap and go........doesn't get any smoother.

Now my wife's Equinox! It took some getting used to as the lever is so soft to touch. It engages too often for my heavy hands.

BE SAFE! USE YOUR BLINKS........
Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

After reading the owners manual and finding out about this feature...I love it! Takes the hassle out of signalling...

It also reduces wear and tear by not having to "click" it all the time.

BTW: I too have thought it should blink 4-5 times, instead of three. But three seems ok.

MT
Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Love the 3 blinks. I think it should be standard on more vehicles and maybe (just maybe) more people would use their turn signal. Also agree it would be even better if you could hold it for a second and maybe get 5 blinks. So tap for 3 blinks, hold a sec for 5 blinks.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Hmmm!

Can't believe I read this thread: "Blinky", to this point. Just too much time on your hands, now just go Zaino your car, ask Wolfdog if you don't know how!

Get notified of new replies

To Can you program out/disable the 3 flashes of turn signal?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

FWIW! My HEMI RAM has the blinkies also...........
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, for a few days I forgot about this post. I figured I'd get a couple replies, not open a can of worms for the turn signal ****** out there. Thanks JohnODrake and anyone else who actually answered. And I'll try the clicking on/clicking off routine. FWIW I'm nowhere near anybody when I'm changing lanes, i.e. they don't have to slow down/ease off the accelerator if/when I move over. I know the law requires it so that's why I do it. And yes 1-2 flashes, I'm a sinner. (didn't know the law was 5 seconds in CA so thanks again). So hey I'm a lawbreaker for using my turn signals! HA - and all the 5 sec wannabe's - you never speed, ever in your Vette, right? Glass houses what???
Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Didn't know about the legalities of turn signal duration.

I like the feature and figure that at a minimum, the 3 blinks would keep me from getting stopped for an un-safe lane change by some LEO just looking for a reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you program out/disable the 3 flashes of turn signal?