C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Corvette Grand Sport, Worst Car Ever Driven?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

OK, OK . . . relax, guys. Articles such as these are written to elicit a response - and it's a pretty well-known fact in automotive journalism circles that NO ONE responds as vehemently to a slight of their chosen car as we Corvette owners do. We have a car we are justly proud of, that can (and does) represent itself well on both the street and the track, providing true world-class performance at Chevrolet prices. The numbers don't lie, the hack writers do. If you have to rely on any - or every - automotive writer to validate your choice of a Corvette, you will be frequently disappointed. I have enough confidence in my own judgement and in my C6 that I don't need someone else's opinion (and remember that's all it is) to tell me whether my choice passes his muster or not.

So while we may rail against the inequity and iniquity of what Mr. Udy wrote, beat our collective chests and declare "Them's fightin' words!", inform him his parents were never married, and collectively cancel our subsriptions to his rag of a mag (What WILL the birds use now?) . . . in the end, what he says shouldn't bother us as nearly as much as it does. We are not held captive by other people's opinions, or at least we shouldn't be. If Mr. Udy doesn't care for the C6 Corvette, that's his loss. I say bravo - it leaves one more Corvette available for one of the many thousands who have wanted one all their lives, and who will appreciate the exceptional driving experience and value it provides every time you start it. Guys like me. And you.

Not him. F__k him.

Now go for a drive . . . you'll feel better, and discover all over again just how wrong he was.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

**** Jason Udy the Associate Online Editor & Motor Trend magazine!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by greengo
I recently drove a Nissan GT-R and when I got home I wanted to sell my Corvette.
Same can be said after driving my friends Cadillac CTS-V...

While my Corvette is really nice,
Its out of its league compared to these two
Can't speak as to the GT-R, but my C6 will turn more heads and draw more praise than a CTS-V any day.....
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Motor Trend? LMAO!!!! nuff said.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Tour18
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I drove a GTR....and found it to be a large rattlely *** turd.
When I've been around at the end of the event and cars are ferried back from Motorsports Ranch, when there has been a GTR, everybody wanted to drive something else. Nobody ever said, "I've got the GTR"...
Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77
"The 2011 Corvette Grand Sport is the worst car I have driven." Sounds strange, right? Never in a million years would I think that someone would make such a statement about any Corvette. That is until Jason Udy, the Associate Online Editor from Motor Trend, made that bold statement only hours ago.
That quotation appears nowhere in the article. You are misleading members of this forum by misrepresenting what he wrote, which was:
Trying to figure out the worst car I drove in 2011 is only slightly easier than deciding on the best car I drove all year. The TSX wagon comes to mind – nothing wrong with it per say, it just didn’t wow me. The VW Jetta TDI was equally disappointing. The power was nice and the DSG shifts insanely fast, but the stark interior with hard plastics wasn’t enough. The Fiat 500 Sport manual was much slower than I expected. But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).
So the guy doesn't share our taste in cars, and he's bought into a common misconception about the mono-leafs. This is much ado about nothing.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
That quotation appears nowhere in the article. You are misleading members of this forum by misrepresenting what he wrote, which was:
Trying to figure out the worst car I drove in 2011 is only slightly easier than deciding on the best car I drove all year. The TSX wagon comes to mind – nothing wrong with it per say, it just didn’t wow me. The VW Jetta TDI was equally disappointing. The power was nice and the DSG shifts insanely fast, but the stark interior with hard plastics wasn’t enough. The Fiat 500 Sport manual was much slower than I expected. But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).
So the guy doesn't share our taste in cars, and he's bought into a common misconception about the mono-leafs. This is much ado about nothing.
His task, as an author in the thread, was to post the car he thought was the worst he had driven in 2011. That is the car he chose to post. He didn't have to say anything. He posted and wrote about the Grand Sport under a heading that reads "Worst Car", written in larger, bold font.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

His task, as an author in the thread, was to post the car he thought was the worst he had driven in 2011. That is the car he chose to post. He didn't have to say anything. He posted and wrote about the Grand Sport under a heading that reads "Worst Car", written in larger, bold font.
You put a paraphrase between quotation marks and attributed it to Jason Udy. That's dishonest. Especially when it's so misrepresentative of what was actually written.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 PM
RULEMKR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by fyreline
OK, OK . . . relax, guys. Articles such as these are written to elicit a response - and it's a pretty well-known fact in automotive journalism circles that NO ONE responds as vehemently to a slight of their chosen car as we Corvette owners do. We have a car we are justly proud of, that can (and does) represent itself well on both the street and the track, providing true world-class performance at Chevrolet prices. The numbers don't lie, the hack writers do. If you have to rely on any - or every - automotive writer to validate your choice of a Corvette, you will be frequently disappointed. I have enough confidence in my own judgement and in my C6 that I don't need someone else's opinion (and remember that's all it is) to tell me whether my choice passes his muster or not.

So while we may rail against the inequity and iniquity of what Mr. Udy wrote, beat our collective chests and declare "Them's fightin' words!", inform him his parents were never married, and collectively cancel our subsriptions to his rag of a mag (What WILL the birds use now?) . . . in the end, what he says shouldn't bother us as nearly as much as it does. We are not held captive by other people's opinions, or at least we shouldn't be. If Mr. Udy doesn't care for the C6 Corvette, that's his loss. I say bravo - it leaves one more Corvette available for one of the many thousands who have wanted one all their lives, and who will appreciate the exceptional driving experience and value it provides every time you start it. Guys like me. And you.

Not him. F__k him.

Now go for a drive . . . you'll feel better, and discover all over again just how wrong he was.
As my college age son would say... !!! BOOM !!!.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I remember why I don't subscribe to or buy motor trend
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

He's allowed to his opinion. flush the sand out of your ***** and move on.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

You put a paraphrase between quotation marks and attributed it to Jason Udy. That's dishonest. Especially when it's so misrepresentative of what was actually written.
It isn't misrepresentative at all. He was asked to post the worst car that he drove in 2011. He posted the Grand Sport. Period. It doesn't matter what he said in the article. If he wanted to talk about how disappointed he was with the Grand Sport, he could have created a new thread about it.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
He's allowed to his opinion. flush the sand out of your ***** and move on.
Agree
He's entitled to his opinion
Nothing to get bent out of shape about
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WestPalmCorvette
Agree
He's entitled to his opinion
Nothing to get bent out of shape about
No one is bent out of shape, or at least I'm not. I am just curious as to hoe he came to his conclusion. It certainly wasn't the response I was expecting.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor Trend rated the Corvette Z06 as number one for best handling car they drove in 2011, and the Grand Sport tied for sixth place. Pretty damn good showing I would say!

Last edited by laconiajack; 12-30-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

It isn't misrepresentative at all. He was asked to post the worst car that he drove in 2011. He posted the Grand Sport. Period. It doesn't matter what he said in the article. If he wanted to talk about how disappointed he was with the Grand Sport, he could have created a new thread about it.
The inflammatory paraphrase you wrote does not stipulate "in 2011," and even if it did, it would still be a paraphrase. An invented quotation.

It doesn't matter what you think of the author. It doesn't matter if the person being misquoted is Osama Bin Laden. A misquotation is a deception, and I don't like being lied to.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

The inflammatory paraphrase you wrote does not stipulate "in 2011," and even if it did, it would still be a paraphrase. An invented quotation.

It doesn't matter what you think of the author. It doesn't matter if the person being misquoted is Osama Bin Laden. A misquotation is a deception, and I don't like being lied to.
Then save your clicks for another thread.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, Worst Car Ever Driven?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Motor Trend rated the Corvette Z06 as number one for best handling car they drove in 2011, and the Grand Sport tied for sixth place. Pretty damn good showing I would say!
Grow up.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows
Did you even bother to look at the GTR? You have to be kidding. It looks like at least a dozen other cars from Asia. It may be fast and handle well. But looks account for something in most peoples world.

The CTS on the other hand is one good looking and uniquely styled vehicle.

As for the Corvette give a ZR1 a spin then come back and tell us all how superior the GTS is. WTF...
It's all subjective, it's HIS OPINION, nothing more.I've driven a few GTR's and CTS V's, and both are great cars, but I prefer my GS. I have the money to buy most any "toy", but the GS worked best for ME, so that's what I bought. In my mind neither of those cars is a direct competitor to the GS anyway. I take it from the source, he's in the vast minority, there are LOTS of very happy GS owners out there.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Google "Laguna Seca Hot Laps" it shows Pro driver Randy Pobst driving and commenting on each car. The fast group did laps in the mid 1:36 range, the ZO6 was in the LOW 1:34's. The timer doesn't lie, so good showing Corvette! If that's a bad car, I'm glad I own one.

Quick Reply: 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, Worst Car Ever Driven?