C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here of LS3 engine oil leak at oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Harry Psaros
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say but my 2008 has the dreaded oil pan leak. Dont know where to take it for repair. The dealer I purchased it from is not very competent. Going to take a wait an see approach. Any thoughts I live south of the Boston area.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Harry Psaros
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky oil pan

Sorry to say but my 2008 has the dreaded oil pan leak. Dont know where to take it for repair. The dealer I purchased it from is not very competent. Going to take a wait an see approach. Any thoughts I live south of the Boston area.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Star lock washers.

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
I wonder how many of these "leaks" can be fixed by re-torquing the oil pan bolts? I know if I notice it on mine this is what I'll be trying first. If that doesn't work then I just may live with a little seepage. I don't feel it's worth giving it to the monkeys around here to try and fix it, would probably come back with five other things needing fixing and I'd be lucky if the leak was even fixed...lol
On other cars, I would put "star" lock washers on them, solved problem of loose bolts from vibration, etc. They are cheap in hardware store, etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default After time!

Originally Posted by Mach2
The GM mechanic that repaired my oil pan leak said the factory puts silicone in the four corners of the gasket, then puts the gasket on the pan, lifts the pan/gasket up and attaches both to the oil pan flange on the block. What he does on these Camaro/C6 with LS3's leak repairs is clean the oil pan flange and applies a thin coat of silicone around the complete oil pan flange and puts the oil pan gasket in place on the siliconed oil pan flange. He then puts a thin bead of silicone around the complete oil pan flange on the bottom of the block. Then the oil pan with gasket is then put in place and torqued to spec. He lets it set overnight, then the next morning adds the Mobil1 and filled new AC Delco filter. Fires it up, check for initial leaks and then takes if for a short drive till the oil reaches normal running temp and brings it back for another look see. He hasn't had one leak yet after his fix.

Apparently the oil pan is initially installed with the aluminum pan gasket, that has an O ring around the inside perimeter of the gasket, with just the four dabs of silicone in the corners, then applied to the oil pan flange on the bottom of the block. You would think the soft oil pan gasket with O ring would be sufficienc, but apparently the spec oil pan bolt torque doesn't always make for a good, life long seal.

I still haven't read on this forum of a hand built LS3 leaking yet.
After time, O ring type gaskets have a tendency to get hard and then leak. That is the reason that we used 3M ALL WEATHERSTRIP with gasket material along time ago which also comes in Permatex Super Weatherstrip, part No. 81850, also known as No. 82. Great for gluing racing engines together.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

A good automotive quality O-ring should never get hard. They're made of a silicon-type material, but forgot the weird name .

Anyway, how hard is to replace that gasket as a DIY job on a manual car? If there's nothing major to remove, I'd definitely attempt it myself, even if covered by warranty. As somebody said, every time my cars touch a dealer there're always scratches and scuffs that were supposedly there but weren't. I only bring my toys in when I absolutely have no choice, meaning it's something major in cost and/or labor. If less than $200 in parts, I deal with issues myself.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amount other things, you have to lower the front suspension cross member and support the rear of the engine so it does not damage the front of dash (cowl). This is a job where a hoist comes in handy.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM
BLK08C6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my 08 Coupe in September with 8500 miles on it. Perfect car, clean service record. After noticing oil on the pan recently and reading about a lot of other leaks I thought maybe I should get it checked out. My power train warranty is up in three days so I took it in yesterday. They replaced the gasket and all the bolts but the unusual thing about it is they found 2 bolts missing and another stripped out. I would think from this it would be wise to torque the bolts even with low miles, very strange..
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Oil pan attachment gets special attention when we hand build the engines at Wixom. Before attaching the oil pan, the front and rear covers are set with an alignment plate to ensure they are at exact height of the cylinder block pan rail. Alignment plate stays on while front and rear covers are torqued.

Before oil pan is set in place the mating surfaces are cleaned with alcohol, then rtv sealant is applied at the "T" joints. The T joints are a likely leak path (where front or rear cover mates with the block and oil pan) so extra care is given there. So if by chance you remove your front or rear cover (maybe for a cam change) it is very critical to make sure you are still aligned to the oil pan height. Also we use a fixture to make sure front cover is centered to the crankshaft side to side.

When the oil pan bolts are torqued we do it in two steps and in a set order (starting in the center and working out). If memory serves me right the bolts are first torqued to 20 nm then 30 nm (torque is automatically set when bar code is scanned for operation). The two smaller bolts at the rear are set to a lower torque and are done last.

One more thing - when the pan is torqued it is clamped to a fixture that insures that the rear face of the oil pan is perfectly aligned to the rear face of cylinder block in fore/aft direction. This is required by engineers and we use a digital micrometer to measure alignment.

May your pan always be dry!

Last edited by eaglei; 02-16-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Mention rear fixture
Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Nice writeup, thanks.

It would be interesting to know if the leaks that develop in use are from improper assembly in mass production, different design of the wet sump, poor gasket design (I've been told the replacment gaskets are a different color), or something else.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I wonder how many of these "leaks" can be fixed by re-torquing the oil pan bolts? I know if I notice it on mine this is what I'll be trying first. If that doesn't work then I just may live with a little seepage. I don't feel it's worth giving it to the monkeys around here to try and fix it, would probably come back with five other things needing fixing and I'd be lucky if the leak was even fixed...lol
Almost all of them. I have seen it with LS1's before as well in F-bodies.

Originally Posted by eaglei
Oil pan attachment gets special attention when we hand build the engines at Wixom. Before attaching the oil pan, the front and rear covers are set with an alignment plate to ensure they are at exact height of the cylinder block pan rail. Alignment plate stays on while front and rear covers are torqued.

Before oil pan is set in place the mating surfaces are cleaned with alcohol, then rtv sealant is applied at the "T" joints. The T joints are a likely leak path (where front or rear cover mates with the block and oil pan) so extra care is given there. So if by chance you remove your front or rear cover (maybe for a cam change) it is very critical to make sure you are still aligned to the oil pan height. Also we use a fixture to make sure front cover is centered to the crankshaft side to side.

When the oil pan bolts are torqued we do it in two steps and in a set order (starting in the center and working out). If memory serves me right the bolts are first torqued to 20 nm then 30 nm (torque is automatically set when bar code is scanned for operation). The two smaller bolts at the rear are set to a lower torque and are done last.

May your pan always be dry!
Very cool.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

No, ALL LS3 engines do not leak oil. Mine doesn't
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

All of them dont leak, but it is not uncommon.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

This is exactly the way I looked at it, tightened up the bolts and all is well...I could have got it in before my warranty was up but figured it wasnt worth it.

Quick Reply: Anyone here of LS3 engine oil leak at oil pan gasket?