C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would appreciate your advice between 4LT centennial vs regular GS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Would appreciate your advice between 4LT centennial vs regular GS.

Considering taking the plunge on a '12 GS, after my 3 biggest criticisms were addressed (steering wheel, seat, and stereo). The 4th remains with the GS, which is the lack of availability of ultra-high-performance all-season tires. Besides living in the desert, that's all I need outside of a track, but the main reason to switch is they're much quieter and last a lot longer (and are only a notch below stock summer tires).

Anyway, below are my 2 choices; I like both for different reasons:

Choice #1: Yellow/ebony 4LT GS, F55, chrome wheels, yellow calipers and stitching.

Choice #2: Centennial edition 4LT GS. It includes F55, painted calipers and stitching, and black wheels substitute chrome, ending up at pretty much the same price. And I'm going to install a Corsa, in case you were wondering why no NPP (supposedly quieter inside than even the quiet mode, nicer sound outside, looks better, almost same price, nothing to break or leak -vacuum).

Concerns:

1. The centennial edition has microfiber covered steering wheel, ****, and console lid, and I've heard it looks like crap over time with sweat. Is that true? Can you really clean it when it's absorbent? The seats and **** don't concern me that much. But the steering wheel and console, yes, due to constant skin contact. I prefer leather, but GM is catching on Porsche's idea of charging for leather and giving customers cloth . On the bright side, it'd be better for hot TX anyway .

2. Will the centennial edition conserve vaule better? I really doubt it, especially if GM is making as many as they can sell, as I suspect,m but want your opinion since I'm no Vette expert. I like the yellow Vette a bit better, but the centennial is a really close second. If it's going to be more exclusive, and the microfiber is not a problem with skin, I'd jump to #1. But it'd be a b*tch to keep clean in this dusty/windy area. Compromises .

3. Can I get a better discount on a stock car than an ordered one? It's more likely to find a centennial model with no options than the options I want on a yellow/ebony. Well, most I've seen have at least one option (especially NPP), so would probably have to special order either one.

Thank you in advance for your comments. And best wishes for the new year to all of you, especially health. Drive safely.
JC

Last edited by JCtx; 01-01-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

1. My wifes alcantara wheel is now 2 years old and perfect, I have seen many 5 year old Ferrari and Lambo steering wheels that still look brand new. I now have an Alcantara wheel on my ZR1 and would not put one on if I knew it would look like crap in a few years.

2. I think the Centennial will just be worth the same % used as it is new over a normal one. These are mass produced Corvettes we are talking about here.

3. Usually better deals on cars in stock........usually.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Cant help you much on the choice, but as far as the microfiber is
concerned, my wifes CTS has some microfiber in the cabin, I scotchgarded it the day after purchase and have had no problems. That being said it is not on the steeringwheel and I don't know how effective it would be over time.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm trying to figure out how two 4LT Grand Sports, one a Centennial Edition (M.S.R.P. $4950) and the other not, can be had for almost the same price. There has to be another variable involved here.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer
1. My wifes alcantara wheel is now 2 years old and perfect, I have seen many 5 year old Ferrari and Lambo steering wheels that still look brand new. I now have an Alcantara wheel on my ZR1 and would not put one on if I knew it would look like crap in a few years.
That's reassuring man; thanks a million. And the way I take care of my cars, shouldn't be an issue regardless. And as you said, that's what high-priced cars have nowadays, so can't be crap. Although we don't know what GM is using. I could bet my house it's not Alcantara .

Originally Posted by vettman96
I scotchgarded it the day after purchase and have had no problems.
That's a great suggestion; many thanks .

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I'm trying to figure out how two 4LT Grand Sports, one a Centennial Edition (M.S.R.P. $4950) and the other not, can be had for almost the same price.
Look at the configurator. Reason is all I want is what the Centennial has standard. You have to pay extra on the other for F55, painted calipers, colored stitching, velocity yellow tint paint, and black 'grand sport' badging. Plus the savings from chrome wheels to painted ones .

Last edited by JCtx; 01-01-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM
ohfiver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Default My .02

I have a 2009 CTS-V with the whole interior package, 37,000 miles and no one complant!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Why do you think GM is lying about using Alcantara? I wil be happy to take your house off your hands if you still want to make tha bet...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:00 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Why do you think GM is lying about using Alcantara? I wil be happy to take your house off your hands if you still want to make tha bet...
You do realize it is polyster not leather. Look it up was invented years ago.
z51vett
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I know what it is, dude. The OP was questioning whether the Vette material was Alcantara or not. It is, and that's a fact.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

It sounds like you are hung up on the tires with either model. Plan on replacing them at around $2k in 10-15k miles. A/S tires might never become available. You shouldn't need them in El Paso though.

Stereo - I have no problems with mine but I rather listen to the engine.

Black - Hard to keep clean no matter what shade of black. I personally like regular black better than carbon flash.

Corvettes depreciate about the same unless you don't drive it. The more expensive the Corvette the more you lose in dollars though, percentage is about the same.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The 4th remains with the GS, which is the lack of availability of ultra-high-performance all-season tires. JC
These DO NOT exist in ANY tire size for any car. NO ultra high performance tire will do well in the rain NOR last long. You can't have both concepts in one tire, sorry.

Pricing: the same on custom order or lot inventory....just contact a major Forum dealer who always has open allotment: Tommy, Rick D or Dennis F.....they will custom order to your specs at very favorable prices.

In this regard play the incentive game properly--incentives are for short specific time periods. Make up your mind as to what you want...lock it in your mind. Then when new incentives are announced -Jan 3 or early Feb (and if Jan incentives suck wait a month) contact the 3 dealers above for pricing and put in your order--they will all respond in a day.

DO NOT waste their time until you have decided exactly upon your specific build. Many here have waited until deep into the incentive period then ordered and got mad when their car would not be built in time to qualify.

Centennial or yellow--all comes down to color choice. Spent today at Boardwalk Chev (deciding about a yellow GS)...relooked at the Centennial..sorry not for me; I kept wanting to get a towel and detailer spray to clean off the dust (on a clean car stored inside)..aka I'm not a fan of metallic black but that is just my opinion which ain't worth a plug nickel--get what YOU what.

Be careful of yellow brakes (being way overdone)..it is not the exact same yellow as the car and doesn't provide any contrast and just blends in, in a boring way...really consider red for some pop with the chrome. I'm buying a v. yellow GS with yellow calipers because that is what it has on it (3k loyality runs tomorrow so no time to custom order)...but I'll be selling the yellow calipers and replacing them with red very quickly.

Last edited by Z06LUST; 01-02-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 PM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here goes. I think the microfiber/suede coverings will be just fine. This next part is just my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt. For almost a year I wanted a yellow ZO6. In fact, it was the wallpaper on my computer screen so I looked at it everyday. Eventually, I bought one. However, when I got it home and saw it parked in my garage, I freaked out. I actually felt embarrassed with the bright "look at me" color. Never, ever again will I own a yellow car of any brand. So, make absolutely certain that you LOVE yellow IN PERSON, not just on your computer screen before you buy. Ok, now that I've got that off my chest you asked about re-sale retention. My feeling is that even though the centennial edition might not bring you more money than a regular GS, it WILL help sell YOUR car quicker when it's compared to others competing against it. That alone can be very helpful. Pretend you were looking at a 2010 GS right now and you've narrowed your selection down to three cars all costing about the same money. Now imagine that one of them is a centennial edition with a 4LT interior. Suddenly, we have a front runner that stands out from the crowd. This will be you three years from now. Next, can you get a better deal on an "In stock" vs ordering one? The answer is an absolute YES. Dealers are motivated to sell their inventory, they are not nearly as motivated to order a car. I've seen recent dealers selling 2012's for over 17% off MSRP. You aren't going to get anywhere near that savings when ordering one. Some good food for thought here.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

WOW...someone else is going through the same dilemma! Last May I was working through the same issue, Centennial or Yellow Coupe, 4LT, dual roof, NPP and NCM delivery. I went with the Centennial even though I'm not a black car fan and yes it is a careerer keeping it clean BUT holy s#&t does it stand tall in the sun light. I can not get out of the car without someone committing or giving me thumbs up.

I have put 11k miles on the car in the last 4 months and the cloth has not been a problem. I wipe it down after washing the car with a damp micro cloth, very easy to keep clean and looking new. I'm sure after 50 to 70k mile the steering wheel will show some sign of where it has been handled.....But then so did my C5 with a leather wheel.

Price; there is no reason to pay more than invoice for a new Vette. If you can't find a dealer in the El Paso area, shoot me an I'M and I'll hook you up with a dealer here in the DFW area. My car had an MSRP of $75+K (17,5300 in options) and I paid $66,700 plus TTL. I highly recommend going with the R8C, NCM delivery.....a most enjoyable experience for you and 3 others.

Tires; I share your pain along with everyone else who has a GS. But I do believe within the next 6 months or so you will see the Pilot A/S in a 325x30x19 size along with other brands. The demand is growing every day and it will be answered soon.

Bottom line; Buy what makes you happy, and drive it as it was intended.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Buy a used GS in the color and trim of your choice, replace the steering wheel, stereo, and seats. Use the money saved to buy yourself an all-season second car. There is no such thing as an ultra high performance all-season tire, but you get close with two cars, the vette with ultra high performance tires plus a second car with all-season tires.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

The OP was questioning whether the Vette material was Alcantara or not. It is, and that's a fact.
You would have to be a GM executive to know that for sure. Notice I said ALCANTARA, which is a trade name, like 'Kleenex'. And not Alcantara-like, which is obviously what the Vette has. As much as you love your Vette, if you think its almost rental car interior has the most expensive microfiber available (Alcantara), which is the equivalent of having Nappa full-aniline leather, think again . Only very expensive cars use genuine Alcantara, so it's nothing to be ashamed of. Just hope GM used something decent. Just like leather and everything else, there're a ton of different kinds available.

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Plan on replacing them at around $2k in 10-15k miles. A/S tires might never become available. You shouldn't need them in El Paso though.
We were in the teens all last week. Summer tires feel like bald tires even before freezing. Read the warning on all tire sites . Again, UHP A/S tires are only a notch below summer. You don't need any more grip on the streets. And they still have the same temperature (A), traction (AA), and speed rating (Y) as summer tires. At least the Pilot Sport A/S on my M3 do.

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
These DO NOT exist in ANY tire size for any car. NO ultra high performance tire will do well in the rain NOR last long. You can't have both concepts in one tire, sorry.
I guess you missed the 'ultra-high-performance ALL SEASON' . They're GREAT in rain, and last a lot longer. And still have the same AA traction and Y-speed ratings. Couldn't be happier with them on the M3. The only downside is they look less sexy due to the much wider tread pattern for the rain, but their dual compound makes them great for dry performance. Yes, a notch below summers, but I can drive the car pretty hard without a hint of protest. I don't need any more than that, to be quite honest. Summer tires are a waste for me since I don't track my cars (nothing remotely close to home).

Pricing: the same on custome order or lot inventory....just contact a major Forum dealer who always has open allotment: Tommy, Rick D or Dennis F.....they will custom order to your specs at very favorable prices.

In this regard play the incentive game properly--incentives are for short specific time periods. Make up your mind as to what you want...lock it in my your mind. Then when new incentives -Jan 3 or early Feb are announced(and if Jan incentives suck wait a month) contact the 3 dealers above for pricing and put in your order--they will all respond in a day.

DO NOT waste their time until you have decided exactly upon your specific build. Many here have waited until deep into the incentive period then ordered and got mad when their car would not be built in time to qualify.

Centennial or yellow--all comes down to color choice. Spent today at Boardwalk Chev (deciding about a yellow GS)...relooked at the Centennial..sorry not for me; I kept wanting to get a towel and detailer spray to clean off the dust (on a clean car stored inside)..aka I'm not a fan of metallic black but that is just my opinion which ain't worth a plug nickel--get what YOU what.

Be careful of yellow brakes (being way overdone)..it is not the exact same yellow as the car and doesn't provide any contrast and just blends in, in a boring way...really consider red for some pop with the chrome. I'm buying a v. yellow GS with yellow calipers because that is what it has on it (3k loyality runs tomorrow so no time to custom order)...but I'll be selling the yellow calipers and replacing them with red very quickly.
Very informative post; greatly appreciate it. And no, haven't seen neither color in the flesh. Nor the calipers. But I'm honestly leaning against the CE, even though I'm not a almost sweared not buying a black car ever again < he he>. The good news is if the car looks dusty even when clean, it might not look any different dusty, right? Which would be a plus in this dusty city.

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Ok, here goes. I think the microfiber/suede coverings will be just fine. This next part is just my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt. For almost a year I wanted a yellow ZO6. In fact, it was the wallpaper on my computer screen so I looked at it everyday. Eventually, I bought one. However, when I got it home and saw it parked in my garage, I freaked out. I actually felt embarrassed with the bright "look at me" color. Never, ever again will I own a yellow car of any brand. So, make absolutely certain that you LOVE yellow IN PERSON, not just on your computer screen before you buy. Ok, now that I've got that off my chest you asked about re-sale retention. My feeling is that even though the centennial edition might not bring you more money than a regular GS, it WILL help sell YOUR car quicker when it's compared to others competing against it. That alone can be very helpful. Pretend you were looking at a 2010 GS right now and you've narrowed your selection down to three cars all costing about the same money. Now imagine that one of them is a centennial edition with a 4LT interior. Suddenly, we have a front runner that stands out from the crowd. This will be you three years from now. Next, can you get a better deal on an "In stock" vs ordering one? The answer is an absolute YES. Dealers are motivated to sell their inventory, they are not nearly as motivated to order a car. I've seen recent dealers selling 2012's for over 17% off MSRP. You aren't going to get anywhere near that savings when ordering one. Some good food for thought here.
Your post made me move the CE to #1, because I haven't seen one indeed. And yes, I liked the color on the computer . Thanks a million for those comments. And I fully agree with the CE being easier to sell. And in my case, it's the same price because I happen to want the car with exactly the same options the CE has standard. The only thing I'd have liked is chromed wheels to break all the blackness, but car looks menacing like that. I like it.

Originally Posted by hisvett
WOW...someone else is going through the same dilemma! Last May I was working through the same issue, Centennial or Yellow Coupe, 4LT, dual roof, NPP and NCM delivery. I went with the Centennial even though I'm not a black car fan and yes it is a career keeping it clean BUT holy s#&t does it stand tall in the sun light. I can not get out of the car without someone committing or giving me thumbs up.

I have put 11k miles on the car in the last 4 months and the cloth has not been a problem. I wipe it down after washing the car with a damp micro cloth, very easy to keep clean and looking new. I'm sure after 50 to 70k mile the steering wheel will show some sign of where it has been handled.....But then so did my C5 with a leather wheel.

Price; there is no reason to pay more than invoice for a new Vette. If you can't find a dealer in the El Paso area, shoot me an I'M and I'll hook you up with a dealer here in the DFW area. My car had an MSRP of $75+K (17,5300 in options) and I paid $66,700 plus TTL.

Tires; I share your pain along with everyone else who has a GS. But I do believe within the next 6 months or so you will see the Pilot A/S in a 325x30x19 size along with other brands. The demand is growing every day and it will be answered soon.
Thanks a lot for your help too. And I'll PM you about those dealers. I remember buying my C5 there, from Reliable Chevy, if I remember correctly. A little farther away than I want, especially without front protection (my M3 is beat up like hell, with only 9K miles), but could go the Speed Lingerie route. Best deal locally is maybe a grand below MSRP. No way. And tires is a big deal to me because I mostly use my toy car to travel thru the mountains, and summer tires are absolute crap. I'm sliding all over the damn place with the least provocation, even on dry asphalt. Just read the warning on any tire site (summer tires are not intended for near freezing temperatures, and even less if snow or water is added, or something to that effect). Remember a freak storm that plummeted the temps to the low 20s, it was downright scary. Looked like I was on ice skates. And no, I don't need winter tires for that. Just UHP A/S tires. With my Pilot A/S pluses, I have 10 times more grip than with summer tires in dry, cold tarmac, water evacuation is immensely better as well, quieter, and much longer lasting. Just like with leather and microfiber, which some people think there's only one kind, UHP A/S are still ultra-high-performance tires, like the name implies. Nothing like a regular all-season tire on a Corolla. Last time I checked those are not rated at 186 mph .

Thanks again to all for all your incredible help and insight. I wanted a yellow car, but don't want to make a $70K+ mistake. And no, I'm not a flashy guy; I just liked the Velocity yellow color... in the computer . Until I see one, it's not a good idea to buy blindly. And didn't like the calipers don't match the paint. That's a deal-breaker for me. The black one looks like the best bet, and a bit more 'special'. Thanks again. And can find one much easier. Might have an option or two I don't want, but will probably still be cheaper than ordering one. Need to look at the incentive issue too.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Buy a used GS in the color and trim of your choice, replace the steering wheel, stereo, and seats. Use the money saved to buy yourself an all-season second car. There is no such thing as an ultra high performance all-season tire, but you get close with two cars, the vette with ultra high performance tires plus a second car with all-season tires.
Forgot to comment on your post. I already touched the tire issue on my last post, and since I only have a chance to drive on trips to see my daughter (especially in winter), with summer tires, my car would only sit in the garage, like the M3 did for over 2 years. I want to be able to USE IT, without being afraid of crashing. And yes, I already have an 'all season' car, but it's not fun driving it.

Anyway, your suggestion is not a bad one, but remember I want F55, which means an '11. Therefore the savings would be minimal at best, after all the expense (and hassle) involved. I'd make more sense to wait for a used '12 CE, which could very well be my decision if I don't find close to a 10K discount on a new one, like many have seen. Thanks man.

Last edited by JCtx; 01-02-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Have you thought about a Centennial 4LT Coupe. All the Centennial features, F55 etc...but slightly narrower tires but the all season design level you want. All you need to change would be an easy switch to Z51 sway bars to tighten it up and it would have near GS performance....

Z51 sways on an F55 suspension is a known performance mod that works very well.

Last edited by Z06LUST; 01-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Would appreciate your advice between 4LT centennial vs regular GS.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 AM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These comments are right on target; thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC

We were in the teens all last week. Summer tires feel like bald tires even before freezing. Read the warning on all tire sites . Again, UHP A/S tires are only a notch below summer. You don't need any more grip on the streets. And they still have the same temperature (A), traction (AA), and speed rating (Y) as summer tires. At least the Pilot Sport A/S on my M3 do.

Know all about driving in winter, thanks. I just pulled .76g on the summer tires. Cold Mich A/S ZP tires pulled a little over .80g on my 08 coupe. Not that big of a difference. But if you are keeping your car below .80g then the A/S ZP is the tire for you which it sounds like you would.

And yes I do see above .80g on the streets. It is a main reason why I bought a sports car. UHP A/S tires do have the same ratings but also have their shortcomings. Any light snow rain benefits start disappearing quick around 1/2 life and drastically lose dry weather grip towards the end of their life (cold or warm).

But since they don't have the A/S ZP available and may never have it available for the GS you might want to stay with the base model of the Corvette. You can then slap some Mich A/S ZPs on it for around $1300-1400 and call it a day. In reality no one needs even 200hp for the street. GM really screwed up there (Thank God).
Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Have you thought about a Centennial 4LT Coupe. All the Centennial features, F55 etc...but slightly narrower tires but the all season design level you want. All you need to change would be an easy switch to Z51 sway bars to tighten it up and it would have near GS performance....
That is an excellent suggestion indeed. I honestly don't buy the huge tire argument on the GS (Ferrari 430s have 285s with 495HP. But fronts, at 225, are too narrow IMO). Main reasons for a GS are the brakes (by far), the dry-sump ('hand-built') engine on the manual, and the gorgeous wheels. Everything else I could live with the coupe indeed. But a GS sitting in the garage is not going to do me any good, huh? Need to rethink that. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Know all about driving in winter, thanks. I just pulled .76g on the summer tires. Cold Mich A/S ZP tires pulled a little over .80g on my 08 coupe.
I have no experience with GY tires, so I believe your numbers. But I'm sure the Mich PS2s on my roads/temperatures don't put anywhere near that. But have no way to test them like you did. Didn't want to say that but have a 430 with summer tires to play with. Maybe we're different, but I love driving a sports car ANYWHERE. And there're not many curves around here, but desolated open roads with miles of visibility in every direction, where you can safely exceed the speed limit by a little bit (), with no cops or traffic anywhere in sight. As I said, I don't need summer tires for that, but do need (and want) the stability, brakes, and handling of a proper sports car. Problem are the mountain passes; that's when I run into real trouble with summer tires. And those conditions are not anywhere close to needing winter tires. Hope you understand where I'm coming from now. But thank you for your comments.

I'm now more confused than ever on what to get . But that's what a fantastic forum like this is for. If no UHP A/S tires become available for the GS, I'd have made a colossal mistake to buy that car. I think an email to Michelin is in order asking if Pilot A/S tires for the GS are in the cards or not. Then go from there. Will keep you posted folks. And yes, I also like the body of the GS better, but ultimately I want the car for its driving dynamics and enjoyment, not looks alone. Take care.
JC

Quick Reply: Would appreciate your advice between 4LT centennial vs regular GS.