Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Stuck in park, 2005 C6

Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Crackers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case the shift lever moved but the trans did not come out of park, turned out to be a bad shift cable. Cable was about 65.00, labor was 200.00
appears to be a poor design, the nylon grommett at the shifter end failed, transmission end was beginning to fail. 56,000 miles
Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Bill M97

I have a 2005 with the auto trans. It too had the problem of locking in park whenever it was most inconvenient. A friend is a service tech for Dodge. I needed him to figure out how to get the interior apart to see what was going on in there. He came over and we found the lock on the shifter. The solenoid was failing to unlock it when the brake pedal was pressed. The actual lock is a protrusion on a plastic part that should swing out of the way of the shifter. He advised against mucking with any electrical connections since it may have triggered error codes. I looked at the little plastic piece and said "I have a Dremel tool. How about if we hack that piece off." So we did. I no longer have the brake interlock, but I'm also never stuck.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Justasheet
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill M97 View Post
I have a 2005 with the auto trans. It too had the problem of locking in park whenever it was most inconvenient. A friend is a service tech for Dodge. I needed him to figure out how to get the interior apart to see what was going on in there. He came over and we found the lock on the shifter. The solenoid was failing to unlock it when the brake pedal was pressed. The actual lock is a protrusion on a plastic part that should swing out of the way of the shifter. He advised against mucking with any electrical connections since it may have triggered error codes. I looked at the little plastic piece and said "I have a Dremel tool. How about if we hack that piece off." So we did. I no longer have the brake interlock, but I'm also never stuck.
I did the same thing. Thanks to Dennis50NJ.
Jeff
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Blackssr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Justasheet View Post
I did the same thing. Thanks to Dennis50NJ.
Jeff
Where is this piece? Any instructions on how to do this? I get stuck in park once a week and have been to dealer twice already.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 PM
redrckt97
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gasfive View Post
When in doubt, read the owner's manual. I guess I shoulda done that.

Manual sez:
1 put the car in accessory mode
2 apply and hold brake till end of step 4
3 shift to neutral
4 start the engine and shift to wanted gear
this is exactly right and Does work -- my 06 has "stuck" a few random times but the start-in-neutral has always worked. Only permanent fix is shifter replacement -- or there is a couple of threads on disabling the interlock by cutting or breaking off the black plastic "hook" under the shifter boot.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Received 238 Likes on 203 Posts

Park/Lock Feature on Automatic Transmissions is part of a safety issue mandated on all cars. Defeating the lock is not the best choice. Unfortunately GM has a significant issue with these going bad and the part is not replaceable. Its a solenoid that is manufactured into the complete shifter assembly. If you pull hard or force movement you can also break the shifter cable and forced to replace that also. The cost is often 700 - 1000 and appears to be the same exact part. (the entire shifter assembly)

Please take a moment to file a complaint with the NHTSHA on this issue. GM knows about the issue and has failed to make the necessary repairs and recall. Don't get stuck in a bad area, or forced to the expense of repair and towing. You can even get locked in the car as it believes its still in gear.

www.safercar.gov -- record every instance, even warranty and extended warranty replacement and repair.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Guitarstar
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearly this is a Known GM defect and dangerous if you are stuck at night as I was for 5 hours, tried everything to get it out of park. I contacted GM on this issue, they assigned a case number, it is at the dealer now $1,050.00. My extended warranty will only cover $800. Not happy.
21 times since day one at the dealer for "Service Active Handling".
GM knows about this and has not done a recall nor one thing about helping Corvette owners out. More $$$ for dealers.
At 39,000 miles this should not be happening on 2005 Corvettes but it is consistently.

Last edited by Guitarstar; 08-20-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 PM
GT & C6

This is happening to my old man's 2005 C6, with 20k miles.

He asked me to bring it in, but not to tell the dealer I'm not paying for it since its such a common problem and there should be a recall.

Anyone have any luck with that?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Bob Tomyn

I had the same problem of not being able to get out of park, so I opened up the area and put a section of vacuum tubing over the actuator rod to hold the locking device in the up postion. The actuator is a very weak cheap part so even if a new assemble is installed there is a chance the problem will come back. I also installed a new spring that I bought at Lowes to fix my not staying closed gas door. I love my c6, but GM could have done better on some issues we have with the car.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Received 891 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Tomyn View Post
I had the same problem of not being able to get out of park, so I opened up the area and put a section of vacuum tubing over the actuator rod to hold the locking device in the up postion. The actuator is a very weak cheap part so even if a new assemble is installed there is a chance the problem will come back. I also installed a new spring that I bought at Lowes to fix my not staying closed gas door. I love my c6, but GM could have done better on some issues we have with the car.
I read in another thread that getting the console off was a major PITA. How was it for you?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Bob Tomyn

Search stuck in park for instructions on removing the console or installing the HUD. Great instructions with pictures. I was a little hesitent to pull it apart but found out it wasn't that hard. It took me about 30 minutes to take apart. It was easier for me to put back together than taking apart.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Thanks. I've not had this problem yet, but being a born pessimist I like to be prepared and always assume the worse.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:52 PM
ufso
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 11-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Carmania

Default Stuck in park

Originally Posted by gasfive View Post
The threads on this problem all seem to be years old. I'm looking for any new info on how to resolve this. Old posts seemed to fall into two fixes, expensive replace of shifter or fiddle with it till it starts working. The two times it has happened to me the fiddle with it has worked but I sure don't want to get stuck somewhere if the next time that does not work. I would like to be armed with the latest info if I have to go into a dealer. Thanks
I had the same problem with my 2005 for the past few years, finally after trial and error on quick fixes I sprayed a small amount of Silicone spray using an injector tube into all 4 corners of the push button **** of the shifter and that seemed to have corrected the problem, Shifter has not gtten stuck for 2 months now, I"m sure it will work for you as well, good luck, joe.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 PM
BigButtLover
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08

Shifter been getting stuck in park periodically. Very embarrassing at times when you have friend riding along. Decided to remove console. Seen cheap plastic gear that is activated by solenoid. Removed it and no more problems.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigButtLover View Post
Shifter been getting stuck in park periodically. Very embarrassing at times when you have friend riding along. Decided to remove console. Seen cheap plastic gear that is activated by solenoid. Removed it and no more problems.
So how much of a PITA was it to remove the console? I've seen opinions here that are all over the map.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Dutch08
CF Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
So how much of a PITA was it to remove the console? I've seen opinions here that are all over the map.
I had the same problem, except stuck in N-D. Here's what I did and it worked for me and another driver. I've not had the problem again after a lube with dry Teflon spray and the shifter feel is 100% improved. (Be careful with this stuff it stains fabric.)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rive-gear.html

My 2 cents, YMMV
Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Strid56

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake Switch could be bad. Check it out...
Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 PM
ufso
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Try reading all the posts and come to a conclusion...not the last one before you post!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Sudstrain
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLadyC6 View Post
I had the same problem, except stuck in N-D. Here's what I did and it worked for me and another driver. I've not had the problem again after a lube with dry Teflon spray and the shifter feel is 100% improved. (Be careful with this stuff it stains fabric.)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rive-gear.html

My 2 cents, YMMV
I was the another driver it is working for me too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck in park, 2005 C6

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: