C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any news from the Detroit Auto Show?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Any news from the Detroit Auto Show?

I was working "load-in" at the Detroit Auto Show this past weekend and I wandered through the GM booth hoping to get a little "scoop" on the Corvette display before the show opened. I was expecting to see a little shrine to our beloved brand, but from what I saw Sunday afternoon (first "Press Day" of the show was Monday), I was a bit disappointed.

There was a very nice Camaro presence. Large wall with logo and branding, a bunch of Camaro's, and a Camaro concept that looked just about the same as the silver Transformer's Corvette concept we've all seen with Camaro cues.

Unfortunately....only 2 Vettes (kinda sorta off to the side and behind everything)....a Carlisle Blue Grand Sport, and a Centennial Edition Z06 (I'm pretty sure that's what it was...it was half covered).

Now maybe there were some more secret cars coming in later...but there's nothing to hide with the Base and ZR1's that are currently out (unless there was some C7 reveal, but they'd have a display for it if there was).

Anyway, I was saddened that they didn't have a bigger Corvette presence in the biggest auto show in the US.

Anybody have an update? I'm sure hoping they at least display the entire model line. But maybe with no big news for the press they didn't feel the need to spend any money on a big display for Corvette.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been to several of these Auto Shows in the past. Chevrolet does not usually do too much if anything extra towards the Corvette. I have never understood as to why they let this opportunity slip thru there fingers...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The recent L.A. Auto Show was a let down on Vette news or cars. Just two on the side. But I will say, that the two they had, were surrounded by camera's snapping away!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
...I was saddened that they didn't have a bigger Corvette presence in the biggest auto show in the US...
the last model year of the C6 is in sight, it's the end for this one, out with the old, in with the new
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
I have been to several of these Auto Shows in the past. Chevrolet does not usually do too much if anything extra towards the Corvette. I have never understood as to why they let this opportunity slip thru there fingers...
Yes, I was in LA too. Just 2 cars. Same at Orange County Auto Show. An unlocked Grand Sport (M6, 3LT) with people climbing all over and snapping pictures, and a locked ZR1. Not so much as a Corvette sign.

I wonder if the thinking is that Corvette buyers already know about the car and there's not a lot of need to market it?

FWIW: At Orange County and LA Autoshows, many of the high end brands have a significant presence (Ferarri, Lambos, Aston Martin etc....maybe marketing to California lifestyle). Perhaps an opportunity for GM to market the Corvette as a significantly cheaper alternative with similar performance.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

2012 Detroit Auto Show Chevrolet Concept Cars

Chevrolet 130R Concept

Chevy Tru 140S Concept
Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
2012 Detroit Auto Show Chevrolet Concept Cars

Chevy Tru 140S Concept
I am digging this one!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 PM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Butt fing ugly!!

Get notified of new replies

To Any news from the Detroit Auto Show?

Quick Reply: Any news from the Detroit Auto Show?