C6 final production 2013....LS9 or LS7 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

View Poll Results: Which engine would you check off...
LS7 505hp 13 40.63%
LS9 638hp 19 59.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

C6 final production 2013....LS9 or LS7

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Silver05GTO
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Silver05GTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,359
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default C6 final production 2013....LS9 or LS7

If GM decided to offer a stand alone engine option for the C6 and you were willing to spend an extra 15-20k for it, which would you choose? To boost sales you could order a base or GS with any engine (LS3/LS7/LS9).

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 01-10-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Silver05GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3LZZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,814
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Default

I wouldn't want a "partial" Z06 or ZR1.

One vote for neither...
3LZZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
jschindler
CF Senior Member
 
jschindler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 26,425
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Is this a trick question? I can have my choice of 505 or 638hp? Duh, 638!

How about a narrow body, stripped 638hp Corvette with the old Z51 suspension
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Mookster
CF Senior Member
 
Mookster's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,635
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschindler View Post
Is this a trick question? I can have my choice of 505 or 638hp? Duh, 638!

How about a narrow body, stripped 638hp Corvette with the old Z51 suspension
No way you'd take more HP? Might as well throw in more torque as well
Mookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Silver05GTO
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Silver05GTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,359
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 View Post
I wouldn't want a "partial" Z06 or ZR1.

One vote for neither...
This isn't about what specific minority Z06/ZR1 owners want, it's about maximizing Corvette sales in general, especially for the 2013 sendoff of the C6.

Imagine an LS9 optional in a base or GS vert! Wow, sales bonanza!
Silver05GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196
Support Corvetteforum!
 
peter pan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Converse TX
Posts: 75,500
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

A boost junkie here
peter pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
trivette
CF Senior Member
 
trivette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: st paul minnesota
Posts: 1,980
Thanked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Default

I really don't see a $15,000-$20,000 engine option creating a "sales bonanza" for '13. Another vote for neither-I'm waiting for the C7.
trivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
OregonC6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,839
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

An interesting question but it makes no sense. The "base" narrow body/GS drivetrain is simply not adequate to the task of handling Z06 power or the much greater ZR1 power. IF such an engine option were offered without any mods to the existing LS3 drivetrain I don't think there would be any factory warranty on little things like the clutch and differential. Drop an LS9 into a standard narrow body or GS and chances are something would break really bad really fast.

I've been describing for years my "dream C6" right from the factory. It would be the base narrow body coupe ( with those crisp uncluttered lines and smaller width on the surface. Underneath there would be an LS9 and complete ZR1 drivetrain.

The brakes on this beast would be something nice from the aftermarket like the Brembos on the CTS-V. Luxury options would be very few. I might even like the "option" of air conditioning "delete" and perhaps "radio delete" as well. I'd buy it with roll up windows and manual seats if it would save weight. The hood would be very simple in styling just what was needed to accommodate the supercharger.

Keep it simple would be the key. In this car you'd have the best of power in a smaller lighter package....keeping the steel frame of the narrow body and GS for strength NOT the aluminum of the Z06.

Manual trans only in this model. No targa either...it's a fixed roof like the Z06 and ZR1. Nothing fancy. No carbon fiber, gills, big emblems, holes in the rotors ( solid or slotted are better ).

What to call this beast? I have an idea!

"The SS"

( maybe bore the LS9 out to 396 cubic inches just for fun then the model could be called the "SS 396". I've heard that somewhere before. Now this would be a car!

As for the narrower tires vs the Z06 and ZR1....well, in the hands of an experienced driver used to using his brain instead of all the electronic nannies etc it would not matter. You can say it would matter and it would but only in the hands of less experienced ( and probably younger ) pilots.

Would this beat a ZR1? I'd expect it would.

The price? No options....one fixed model only.....$95,000 and they'd sell 10,000 of em.

One would probably be in my garage.
OregonC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Gary '09 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gary '09 C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 11,865
Thanked 241 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 View Post
I wouldn't want a "partial" Z06 or ZR1.

One vote for neither...

Gary '09 C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
CENT Z06
CF Senior Member
 
CENT Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 2,090
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Neither.
CENT Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
NofakeJake
CF Senior Member
 
NofakeJake's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,081
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonC6 View Post
An interesting question but it makes no sense. The "base" narrow body/GS drivetrain is simply not adequate to the task of handling Z06 power or the much greater ZR1 power. IF such an engine option were offered without any mods to the existing LS3 drivetrain I don't think there would be any factory warranty on little things like the clutch and differential. Drop an LS9 into a standard narrow body or GS and chances are something would break really bad really fast.

I've been describing for years my "dream C6" right from the factory. It would be the base narrow body coupe ( with those crisp uncluttered lines and smaller width on the surface. Underneath there would be an LS9 and complete ZR1 drivetrain.

The brakes on this beast would be something nice from the aftermarket like the Brembos on the CTS-V. Luxury options would be very few. I might even like the "option" of air conditioning "delete" and perhaps "radio delete" as well. I'd buy it with roll up windows and manual seats if it would save weight. The hood would be very simple in styling just what was needed to accommodate the supercharger.

Keep it simple would be the key. In this car you'd have the best of power in a smaller lighter package....keeping the steel frame of the narrow body and GS for strength NOT the aluminum of the Z06.

Manual trans only in this model. No targa either...it's a fixed roof like the Z06 and ZR1. Nothing fancy. No carbon fiber, gills, big emblems, holes in the rotors ( solid or slotted are better ).

What to call this beast? I have an idea!

"The SS"

( maybe bore the LS9 out to 396 cubic inches just for fun then the model could be called the "SS 396". I've heard that somewhere before. Now this would be a car!

As for the narrower tires vs the Z06 and ZR1....well, in the hands of an experienced driver used to using his brain instead of all the electronic nannies etc it would not matter. You can say it would matter and it would but only in the hands of less experienced ( and probably younger ) pilots.

Would this beat a ZR1? I'd expect it would.

The price? No options....one fixed model only.....$95,000 and they'd sell 10,000 of em.

One would probably be in my garage.
Sorry. They'd sell about 10 of them.

Unfortunately, this isn't the 60's. While I miss those days, COPO's are never coming back, nor is the little ole lady from Pasadena, the Beach Boys or eight track

Neither...
NofakeJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
RobWilson
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
RobWilson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 2,473
Thanked 42 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I would buy a convertible Grand Sport with an LS9.
RobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
vettelover69
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: Chesterfield Michigan
Posts: 900
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

For 20,000 I will just send my GS to Callaway.
vettelover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C6 final production 2013....LS9 or LS7
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    10mm Red Ignition Spark Plug Wires LS1 LS2 LS4 LS6 LS7 LS9 Set 8 SC-C6 C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 4 03-08-2016 07:59 AM
    FAST 102mm LSXR Intake Manifold Cathedral port black z99ls1 C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted 3 12-01-2015 12:10 PM
    LS Engine Primer for novices like me LGK-SD C6 Corvette ZR1 0 09-08-2015 12:50 PM
    F/S Diablosport Predator U7194 tuner for LS2/LS3/LS7 $145 shipped markmott C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 6 12-24-2012 05:35 PM
    **WTB LS2,LS3 or LS7 Spark Plug Wires** cencalc6 C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 3 04-20-2011 08:10 PM


    Tags
    2006, 2013, c3, c6, carvette, corvette, engine, final, ls7, ls9, optiond, production, sale, stripped, targa, threads

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    What's your question?
    Send