C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Corvette Lear Car2U garage door/security gate setup

Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 PM
jonakin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDave
The gate now works (you can only use the left button for a security gate) and when I got home from the dealer, I programmed the middle and left buttons for my two garage doors.
Originally Posted by johnny3
Thanks Doug, finally got my garage door programed, 09 model, using your method (button near the window, left one, for my rolling code Genie) the garage door I needed to use was on the right & would never program but left button programed first time, thank you. Johnny
I created an account just to say thanks to the people on this thread for helping me get my car working with my neighborhood's security gate as well as to hopefully help out anyone else that runs into this similar issue. I don't even have a Corvette--mine was a GMC pickup.

My gate works with a Linear MT-2B transmitter, which apparently works based on a rolling code and does not have dip switches. Since my security gate is a community gate, opening it and using the "learn" button was not an option. However, it appears that the Lear Car2U system *CAN* work with these types of gates, but there's a crazy procedure to go through to do it. (I assume this is what CaliforniaDave was talking about having to do over the phone.)

One quick point to make is that, strangely enough, which button you use DOES apparently affect this method. Not sure why--maybe the different buttons work on different frequencies if you use this custom method--but when I used the middle button, it didn't work, but when I saw Doug & Johnny mention using only the left button for security gates, I figured I might as well try it, and much to my surprise, it worked.

The most difficult part was finding the instructions on Lear's website. There is a manual programming method (only on GEN II but I would assume all new cars have the latest model now) that can tell the Car2U to emulate a certain rolling code device, but as far as I can tell, this is undocumented and isn't even linked from their own website, but I found it through Google:
http://www.learcar2u.com/pdf/GENIINo...rammedInst.pdf
(see my post below if this link no longer works)

Just to describe my situation for future searchers, my neighborhood uses a security gate with a block-coded transmitter based on Linear Megacode at the apparently non-standard 318 MHz frequency. I thought I was out of luck because Car2U didn't support this frequency without the converter, but apparently that is NOT required.

The PDF in the link above describes how to program the Car2U to emulate the rolling code transmission for several different gate systems: Liftmaster with Passport Control Technology, Sentex ClikCard, Linear Megacode, and Door King. What you basically do is put in the facility code and transmitter ID from your transmitter and the Car2U knows how to emulate that signal based on the gate type you select. On my remote, the there was a sticker on the back with my transmitter ID. However, to get the facility code, I was lucky that it was written on my proximity card (003) and was the same for the transmitter, because it wasn't written on my transmitter anywhere. However, according to some documentation I found from Linear, their transmitter ID values are only 0-15, so if you have to guess yours, then you only have to try 16 times to get it right.

As thrilled as I was to get this working perfectly, it's pretty ridiculous that it was this difficult just to find answers about how to get it to work. Lear should at least document this somewhere so that people can find it. I'm skeptical that even if I had called their support line, they would not have given me these instructions and instead would have tried to get me to buy their conversion module, which I would not have even been allowed to install on my neighborhood's gate.

I spent almost a whole day trying to get this to work, so hopefully this will save someone else the same headache.

Last edited by jonakin; 05-22-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added text of PDF below for future archival
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 AM
jonakin
2nd Gear

Default http://www.learcar2u.com/pdf/GENIINon-PreprogrammedInst.pdf

In case the PDF from Lear disappears at some point, I'm going to archive the text of it here:

STEP ONE

Firmly press the “Left (L)” and “Right (R)” Car2U System buttons, at the same time, for 1 to 2 seconds, and then release them. All three LED lights will come on solid, to indicate that the programming mode has begun.

STEP TWO

Next firmly press the “Left (L)” and “Center (C)” Car2U System buttons, at the same time, for 1 to 2 seconds, and then release them. All three LED lights will blink slowly for 2 seconds to indicate that the unit is entering Gate Programming mode. After blinking slowly, the lights will stay on solid.

NOTE: To program Tracking Gate units, you will need the entry gate transmitter, paper and pen might come in handy to write down the number if desired. On the back of the transmitter you will find 1) a Facility Code (FC) (up to three digits); and 2) a PIN / Transmitter ID Code (up to 5 digits).

STEP THREE

Identify your gate system from the chart below.

Write down the Tracking Code numbers from the back of your transmitter. If you do not have Tracking Code numbers on the back of your transmitter, contact your homeowners association before proceeding to the next step. Using the chart below, enter the Facility Code numbers and the PIN / Transmitter ID numbers. (The chart below shows Liftmaster with Passport Control Technology and the example number as 040 54055 from the transmitter number template shown in Fig 2.

NOTE: Leading “zero’s” need to be added if the FC does not equal 3 digits or the PIN number does not equal 5 digits. In the example a leading zero was added to the FC to make it 040 instead of 40 as shown on the transmitter to equal 3 digits.

(Table)

Left Button Presses
Gate Control System
Tracking Code Format: Facility PIN or Code (FC)
Tracking Code Format: TX ID
Example

Liftmaster with Passport Control Technology
2/3 Digits (add leading 0’s if necessary)
5 Digits (add leading 0’s if necessary)
040 54055

Sentex ClikCard
3 Digits (add leading 0’s if necessary)
030 12345

Linear Megacode
001 01234

Door King
020 00012

(/Table)

STEP FOUR

Firmly, press and release the LEFT (L) button – the same number of times listed in the table for your gate system. For example, if your gate system is a Liftmaster type, press the button once. The light above each button will go off then on again to indicate that a button is being pressed.

STEP FIVE

NOTE: Each digit in your gate access code must be entered one at a time starting with the Facility Code and then the PIN. For example, if your code is 040 54055, start with the number 0 and work your way to the right until the last number 5 is entered.

To enter your gate access code, press and release the CENTER (C) button (the correct number of times) to enter the first digit in your code. For example, press once for 1, press two times for 2 and so on. Then press the RIGHT (R) button 1 time to lock in the digit then enter your next digit using the center button.

Now enter each digit you wrote down in Step 4 until all the digits in your gate access code have been entered into the Car2U System.

IMPORTANT:

a. Use only the CENTER button to enter each digit. If the digit is “0”, do not press the center button; press the RIGHT button to lock in the “0” digit then enter the next digit in the code.

b. Press the RIGHT button once to lock in each digit and then proceed to the next digit in your code.

The indicator light will turn off and back on after you enter each code number to indicate that you were successful.

STEP SIX

After all the digits in your code have been entered, press and release all three buttons, at the same time, to complete the code entry. All three indicator lights will blink slowly 2 to 3 times and stay lit to indicate that programming was successful.

STEP SEVEN

Press and release the Car2U System button you would like to use to control the entry gate. When the button is released, the indicator light will begin to blink rapidly for a few seconds until programming is complete.

After successful programming you will be able to operate your Gate System using the Car2U System by pressing the button you programmed to activate the gate. The indicator light above the selected button will turn on to confirm that the Car2U System is responding to the button command.

Re-programming the Car2UTM System Buttons

NOTE: The system allows for three devices to be programmed. If you need to change or replace any of the three devices after initially programming them, you can repeat the process without having to erase the programming. For re-programming, go to STEP 1.

If you sell your vehicle equipped with the Car2U System, it is recommended that you erase the programming for security reasons.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
rjr49
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't have any trouble programing my rolling code garage door opener but wasn't having any luck wit the fixed code opener.

The apparent ( I say apparent because I am at work and have not tried this with the door in range) problem was getting it into the fixed opener program mode (3 lights slowly blinking) I called Lear and "Dave" told me NOT to press and hold all 3 buttons for 3 or more seconds. Put a straight edge across them and BRIEFLY press them. It took 2 tries. Once as quickly as I could press and release. The second time a slow press and release. Less than one second but not as quick as putting your finger on something hot. All 3 lights started slowly blinking.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
RussWalker
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info!
Do you have the rest of the table, seems you only posted 4 out of 16.
Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 PM
2012Z06
Instructor

Well, I just spend a few hours searching the net and trying different ways to program my remote with no luck. I have a 2012 Z06 and a linear garage door opener. Can anyone help me out?????
Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2012Z06
Well, I just spend a few hours searching the net and trying different ways to program my remote with no luck. I have a 2012 Z06 and a linear garage door opener. Can anyone help me out?????
Is it a rolling code for opener?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM
2012Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
Is it a rolling code for opener?
yes it is
Old 06-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
When I tried to program my garage doors on my new GS (I've done it a ton of times), and couldn't get it done, time to read the instructions. To my dismay, this POS doesn't use the transmitters. My question to GM is how much they saved (maybe a buck?) that made it worth aggravating buyers of $50K+ cars with a POS like that? Put it in the Cruzes and such, but not on the freaking Vettes. Geez.

I have the same setup on my Mustang as the Corvettes have....I can not get it to open the garage door. The '11 Camaro I had, had Homelink and it learned off the old remote in seconds. Had a '10 Vette with this same setup....never could get it to work!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
RussWalker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RussWalker
Thanks for all the info!
Do you have the rest of the table, seems you only posted 4 out of 16.
Thanks again.
Unfortunately I have Facility Code 24 which does not work with the GEN I and I have been waiting 8 months for the new visor they promised me. This is just stupid!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 PM
RussWalker
Intermediate

Default STILL Waiting

Originally Posted by RussWalker
Unfortunately I have Facility Code 24 which does not work with the GEN I and I have been waiting 8 months for the new visor they promised me. This is just stupid!
Well, I called Lear today and they said that I was still on the waiting list. I asked if there had been any movement on the list and they told me that they had not received even one visor in the last 8 months! I am hoping that my local dealer will attempt a warranty replacement and that I get a GEN II when they do.

I did get some information about how to tell if you have a GEN I or GEN II and it is the same first steps in programming the GEN II:

Press left and right buttons at the same time for 1 to 2 seconds then release and all three lights will come on solid. Then press the left and center buttons at the same time for 1 to 2 seconds and release. The lights should blink a few times then if they all go out it is a GEN I, if they stay on solid it is a GEN II.

They also told me that the GEN II should be in all 2012 and 2013 Corvettes, unfortunately mine is a 2011!

Good luck everybody!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an old / incompatable Gene opener. I bought this for about $25.

http://www.learcar2u.com/conversionmodule/

Works great with my 07.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 AM
RussWalker
Intermediate

Well, I have been waiting for 8 months for the new visor and Lear says they have received NOT EVEN ONE new visor in the last 8 months so don't hold your breath for that fix.

Called my local Chevy dealer (really tempted to name them!) and they never returned my call.

All I need is the GEN II version and I should be good to go, just can't figure out how the hell to get one without spending my own money on something that should work from the factory! I am thinking about doing a test drive of a new Vette and doing a quick swap!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
RussWalker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Sws56,
Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. I'll be sure to document this. Let us know if the converter helps. Thanks in advance.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Why doesn't Chevrolet replace these as a warranty item?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM
kck77
Advanced

I just set up my '12 GS Lear Car2U and may have some helpful tips for those who live in a gated community or buildings with undergrounds with gates. I wanted to program one of my three Lear Car2U buttons to control my gate. After reading all the issues with this system I had an idea of what I may face. So, I simply did some snooping around the physical area of my gate and actually found the control box. I found the manufacturer of the gate, downloaded the manual on spot with my iPhone, and got a diagram of the inside panel ( nothing was labeled). Once I found the "radio' button (which is the same thing as the learn button), the set up took me less than a minute. Make sure you hold the outside two buttons on the Car2U visor system until all the lights blink rapidly, this can take over 20 seconds..... this completely clears the system. Then just follow the instructions for the rolling code set up in the manual. One thing I did notice is that during the set-up process, I had to have the visor pulled down, and park directly in front of the gate control panel..... so the visor system had a direct line of sight with the control box. I also did the exact same thing with the underground gate. The garage gate motor/box system mounted over top of the gate did not have a "learn" button anywhere like residential homes do. I would imagine commercial units are manufactured so no one can tamper with the system and the settings that have been set to control how long the gate stays up before closing etc. I took a screw driver, opened up the panel on the underside of the motor box, and there was the control panel. Nothing was labeled, so again I found the manual on my iPhone, found the Radio button, and 1 minute later I was programmed. Both my gate and underground garage gates are working perfectly. So guys, go take a snoop around your gates and garage gates ( i did both at 2 am so no one saw me opening up all these panels, and so I could have my car parked right under in front/underneath the control boxes. Hope this helps : )
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM
RussWalker
Intermediate

KCK77, I am glad that you could get your system working on your community gate, I know it can be done in some cases. I talked to Lear and gave them the manufacturer of my gate and they said there is no way their GEN I unit will work - I have to have the GEN II so I am stuck because Chevrolet refuses to help. Happy for you!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 AM
AdamGrey
1st Gear

Default garage door repair cypress tx

Look what I found! Garage door repair cypress tx is the best service provider for you garage. They fixed my garage door and my corvette will be happy
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM
garageguru
4th Gear

Default Linear programming

Originally Posted by 2012Z06
Linear's are more complex as they not only transmit a rolling code signal but also require an additional access code call a FC(facility code) and TXID(transmitter I.D.) to grant access. THis means the vehicle must transmit not only 318mhz but a very specific code for the garage to admit access. Linear calls this megacode. All 12 Vettes will have GEN ll which will allow them to program to a Linear opener.

1. Press and release the left and right buttons on visor. All 3 LEDs should remain lit after releasing buttons.

2. Press and release the left and center buttons simultaneously. LEDs will blink slow once or twice and remain solid.

3. Press and release the left button 3 times(this tells the vehicle you will be programming a Linear).

Now you must create a random FC and TXID. A very easy one to use would be FC:000 and TXID:00100.
RRR RRCRRR
You press the right(R) button for any 0's in the sequence and the (C) button for any number. You will always follow the center button with another (R) to lock the previous number in.

4. LEDs should still be solid on.

5. Press all 3 buttons on visor simultaneously for 2 seconds and release. LEDs will blink slow 1 or 2 times and turn off.

6. You may now select the button you would like to use for the garage door. (This applies to garage doors only and Community gates are button specific). Hold desired button for 2 seconds and release. THe LED above desired button will blink slowly for a few seconds and turn off. THe button is now set.

7. Press and release the "learn" button on the motorhead unit in the garage (you only have 15 seconds to return to the vehicle).

8. Hold the button in the vehicle that was just programmed in step 6 for 5 seconds and release.

9. Press and release button again and garage door will move.

ANy questions regarding this garage door or gate system please feel free to message me. Please note this will only work with GEN ll visors which came in teh 12 and newer Corvettes. THe only way an 07-11 Vette will have GEN ll is if the dealer has replaced or you have received a visor from Lear.

Good luck guys and I'm here if you need me!

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 Corvette Lear Car2U garage door/security gate setup

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! My 2012 Owners manual never got near this detailed - and never did get my double garage door coded.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 PM
garageguru
4th Gear

Well sorry to hear that! Try these out sometime and let me know how it works. I have a ton of experience with garage doors and the Lear system. So let me know if you guys have anymore questions
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 AM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lear substitute is junk compared to Homelink, I had to install a Liftmaster rolling code universal receiver to get mine to work and never had this issue with Homelink (BTW, my Genie is a rolling code model that worked with Homelink and does not with Lear- newer than the Liftmaster upstairs for my wife's garage which does work with Lear). I hope GM is saving a ton of money...... They should provide receivers that work with the new junk, the bean counters might rethink their decision to replace HomeLink. I wonder if some money changed hands with this decision or if the price was made to be that much cheaper than competing Homelink, its a good business model to get your product into a big car company like GM and then their customers have to buy additional hardware from the vendor for their 6 year old openers to work........maybe

The Liftmaster 365LM module I bought to get mine to work can be had on the bay for ~$20, and I would much rather my money go somewhere other than Lear.

Other than this pet peeve I am enjoying the GS, first domestic car I have owned in a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Corvette Lear Car2U garage door/security gate setup