C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full width GM rear spoiler fit issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Full width GM rear spoiler fit issue...

Bought the full width rear spoiler from Gene at GMPartsHouse and had a local Chevy dealership install it. I have noticed this;

See how the bottom of the opening in the spoiler is pushed out? It "oil cans" back in with the touch of a finger but comes back. Being a black spoiler and getting heated by the Sun may add to the issue. I'm thinking when the body shop guys, that I was told had installed lot of these spoilers as dealer add on's, drilled the holes on both sides of the outer edge of the rear body they may not have got them far enough out, and when the spoiler was bolted down using the 4 center bolts and existing holes and then the 4 outer bolts using the newly drilled holes, this put a bind and this oval opening is the weak spot and pops out.

Anyone else have this issue with your dealer installed spoiler, or your self installed spoiler?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Mach2

Anyone else have this issue with your dealer installed spoiler, or your self installed spoiler?
mine was from RPI and didn't do that but I know many who've installed GM rear spoilers like that and did NOT have the same issue.

Have you contacted Gene? I'm sure it's not HIS product

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it look like that before the install? If not then I would bring it back to the dealer.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a GM ZR1 but it should mount the same. Although it came with a template for the holes and I spent allot of time getting them right on. I still needed to open up the holes to line it up right. All the mounting bolts are accesable through the tailight openings. I would get in there and loosen up the nuts and see what needs to happen to relax the tension. If it does need to be moved you want to do it soon before it affects the paint on the bumper.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I just dont understand why so many people have trouble installing these spoilers! Read the friggin instructions!!!!!! dealers are idiots We always have to go back and repair their screwups
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Those spoilers all are the same, that piece is very thin and you have to be careful with it, I know exactly where the problem lies, with the installer.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue not "quite" as bad and after about a month it seemed to settle down & fix itself. How- don't know, but even better now than in picture.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

what happens, if you loosen up the bolts a tad??????
Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Bought the full width rear spoiler from Gene at GMPartsHouse and had a local Chevy dealership install it. I have noticed this;

See how the bottom of the opening in the spoiler is pushed out? It "oil cans" back in with the touch of a finger but comes back. Being a black spoiler and getting heated by the Sun may add to the issue. I'm thinking when the body shop guys, that I was told had installed lot of these spoilers as dealer add on's, drilled the holes on both sides of the outer edge of the rear body they may not have got them far enough out, and when the spoiler was bolted down using the 4 center bolts and existing holes and then the 4 outer bolts using the newly drilled holes, this put a bind and this oval opening is the weak spot and pops out.

Sorry, no answers but I just inspected a used 09 Vert (Hertz model) which came with the spoiler factory (actually a dealer doing the Hertz conversions for GM)...and it had the very SAME issue. I'm suspecting the outer bolts as noted above.

I'd pull the spoiler, slighly enlarge the outer holes then reinstall-tighen the center section first then adjust the outer bolts for alignment and tension.

Last edited by Z06LUST; 01-16-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I can't believe an installer at a dealer would let it go back to the customer like that and act like everything is great.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default I had the exact same issue

I am not 100% thrilled but I am living with it.......
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5
I just dont understand why so many people have trouble installing these spoilers! Read the friggin instructions!!!!!! dealers are idiots We always have to go back and repair their screwups
I read the friggin instructions!!!!!! Yes it seemed easy enough. I had something else going on and wanted the spoiler installed while I was taking care of a more pressing issue. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have taken care of business then installed it my own dam self. I asked the dealership body shop rep if they in fact did install these spoilers for customers and was told "Oh yeah, all the time". Well, installing them and doing it correctly is what I should have asked. Now that I have the time, tools and want.........I plan on removing all four taillights, removing the 8 nuts from the spoiler to body and then troubleshooting everything. I feel that opening up the outboard 4 holes, tightening the four center holes then the outer 4 holes will alleviate this problem.

Just wanted to get some feedback from forum members to see if other black spoilered C6's are having the same issue. Will get back when I do the R & R this weekend.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:30 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I can't believe an installer at a dealer would let it go back to the customer like that and act like everything is great.
I can believe it - good help is hard to find.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Your spoiler is mounted to far toward the front of the car. It's an easy fix though. Remove the taillights so you can remove the nuts on the bottom of the spoiler. Remove the spoiler. Slightly enlarge the holes to allow you to move the spoiler back some.

While you have the spoiler off, look at how that section of the spoiler locks into the third brake light assembly. You might even have to slightly move the light also.

Tom
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Roger that Tom. Thanks for the pointers, will look for that and move the spoiler back.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

It seems that they did not make the holes large enough to allow the spoiler some slight movement when put into the holes. When they tighten up the nuts on the studs it puts the spoiler into a bind and flexes that center part out.

The correct way to do it is have the holes large enough so that the spoiler (when sitting in the holes) has a slight play in it. Then you tighten the studs from the center OUT to the sides.

I had a similar problem with mine until I fixed it.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
cgiff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Had the same problem

Remove the spoiler from car and remove taillight. Place it on a flat surface, if its still bowed out its defective , like mine. I tried to return it to West Coast Customs but they blamed me for a bad install. Being stuck with it , I fixed it. Epoxyed a piece of aluminum to the backside.Looks perfect now. I think Gene is better to do business with. He should replace it for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Full width GM rear spoiler fit issue...

Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I read the friggin instructions!!!!!! Yes it seemed easy enough. I had something else going on and wanted the spoiler installed while I was taking care of a more pressing issue. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have taken care of business then installed it my own dam self. I asked the dealership body shop rep if they in fact did install these spoilers for customers and was told "Oh yeah, all the time". Well, installing them and doing it correctly is what I should have asked. Now that I have the time, tools and want.........I plan on removing all four taillights, removing the 8 nuts from the spoiler to body and then troubleshooting everything. I feel that opening up the outboard 4 holes, tightening the four center holes then the outer 4 holes will alleviate this problem.

Just wanted to get some feedback from forum members to see if other black spoilered C6's are having the same issue. Will get back when I do the R & R this weekend.
sent a pm with info for help.... I was talking about the idiot dealer....
Steven
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Loosen the inner and outer bolts and retighten them while pushing that piece under under the brake light. The brake light will hold it in once the bolts are tight. Do not over tighten them however.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I never installed one on a Corvette,but it would seem obvious to line up the center of spoiler to the edge then snug the bolts just enough to hold it then work the left and right sides,never tightening fully until you have it how you want it.(holding it in place with one hand while tightening) Then tighten all screws in rotation pattern in small increments. Like the others said,if you can't get enough movement you may have to open up the holes first.IMO

Quick Reply: Full width GM rear spoiler fit issue...