C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious button ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Mysterious button ??

As I was working around this area today changing my coolant, I noticed a black push button sort of like the ones for interior lights that are in the door jambs. This was driver side, about 6" in front of the hood latch ??
Was there an optional "under hood light" available? That's all I can think this could be for, but of course I don't have the light. I pushed it a few times but nothing happened so I'm curious, anyone??
Thanks
NSF
Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

What year? I have an '06 that has the hood light, but there is no (OEM) switch/button to turn it on or off. Most likely someone installed a switch for some purpose ... what, I don't know.

Last edited by Welker1; 03-01-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:10 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The '05s came with a light under the hood. IIRC, '06 had the light, and sometime in the '07 MY, the light went away. Whenever this was eliminated (and as I implied, not exactly sure), the hood liner did away with the cutout. I can't say I ever heard anyone mention a switch location, though. I do remember that you could wire and put in a light in the later years, which leads me to believe the shut-off switch must have been retained.

I just went and looked on my '05, and I found what looks like a switch on the edge of the coolant surge tank (almost as if it is also used to secure one edge of the tank. It has a rubber cover, but mine doesn't depress, and I can't see anything that would depress it when closed anyway. My under hood light burned out years ago, and it never worked very well, so I never replaced the bulb.

Do you have a pic of the "switch", or does my description match the placing?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
The '05s came with a light under the hood. IIRC, '06 had the light, and sometime in the '07 MY, the light went away. Whenever this was eliminated (and as I implied, not exactly sure), the hood liner did away with the cutout. I can't say I ever heard anyone mention a switch location, though. I do remember that you could wire and put in a light in the later years, which leads me to believe the shut-off switch must have been retained.

I just went and looked on my '05, and I found what looks like a switch on the edge of the coolant surge tank (almost as if it is also used to secure one edge of the tank. It has a rubber cover, but mine doesn't depress, and I can't see anything that would depress it when closed anyway. My under hood light burned out years ago, and it never worked very well, so I never replaced the bulb.

Do you have a pic of the "switch", or does my description match the placing?
Yes your description is spot on, I cant figure it out, It depresses like a button I described for door jambs but I don't see how the hood would depress it when closed. It doesn't move much at all though, strange. And this car was virgin when I got it, no nothing custom, no body had screwed with it. Oh its a 2011 Grand Sport.
I'll take a photo tomorrow, maybe someone will know what it is
I'm stumped
Thanks
NSF
Old 03-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Could it be an aftermarket alarm switch ?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Could it be an aftermarket alarm switch ?
Not if we both have "buttons" in the same place.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:44 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

My 06 has an under hood light, and it has a mercury switch to turn on-off when the hood is opened or closed.
Here is a pic of my engine bay, and I see no switch. The "switch" looking thingy by the overflow tank is a rubber cap to cover for the bolt threads for the bolt that holds the tank in place.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Well, that explains why mine does not depress.

The description does say switch (which makes sense, because even when mine had a working bulb, it turned off). Where, pray tell, is it on the car?

Now, I'm just curious. I may even replace the bulb for giggles.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by owc6
Well, that explains why mine does not depress.

The description does say switch (which makes sense, because even when mine had a working bulb, it turned off). Where, pray tell, is it on the car?

Now, I'm just curious. I may even replace the bulb for giggles.
The lamp mercury tilt switch is inside the hood lamp housing. The switch is a tiny glass bulb with mercury inside the bulb. When it tilts up, the mercury falls and makes the electrical connection across the contacts. When you close the hood, the mercury falls away from the contact points, and the lamp shuts off.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 12:07 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
The lamp mercury tilt switch is inside the hood lamp housing. The switch is a tiny glass bulb with mercury inside the bulb. When it tilts up, the mercury falls and makes the electrical connection across the contacts. When you close the hood, the mercury falls away from the contact points, and the lamp shuts off.
Thank you. Learn something new every day. Now I am going to have to replace the bulb and see if I can get it lit after all these years.
The following users liked this post:
4SUMERZ (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Yep that's it, Paul to the rescue AGAIN . I guess I could have thought of pulling it up to see what it was huh?
I find it hard to believe GM thought of protecting prying fingers from being cut and yet faulty H.B. are still in existence, of course the cost is greatly increased on that one malady. Mine is wobbling away as usual but no chirping yet
Thanks again Paul
NSF
Old 03-02-2016, 10:42 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Yep that's it, Paul to the rescue AGAIN . I guess I could have thought of pulling it up to see what it was huh?
I find it hard to believe GM thought of protecting prying fingers from being cut and yet faulty H.B. are still in existence, of course the cost is greatly increased on that one malady. Mine is wobbling away as usual but no chirping yet
Thanks again Paul
NSF
Your welcome Bobby.
I had my overflow tank off when I ran some wires behind it for my front parking camera. That is the one and only reason that I knew what it was.

Get notified of new replies

To Mysterious button ??

Quick Reply: Mysterious button ??